Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HELP! Ext Mgr totally hosed

HELP! Ext Mgr totally hosed
Zoom
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 07:42 AM

I went poking around in my extensions folder the other day (without using EM), and now I can't get Ext Mgr to start without either dieing due to a Type 2 error or locking up my system entirely with a Type 1 error. (I might have that backwards.)

I trashed the EM Prefs, and that did nothing. I trashed the extension set I was using (custom) and that did nothing. I trashed some other file called "Extensions Manager Info", and that did nothing.

I've tried starting without extensions, but unfortunately on my Mac, one of my USB devices will lock up the system without it's extension, I'm not sure which one. I can unplug them all if necessary, but I don't think that's the issue.

Could the actual EM application (control panel) be hosed?? I think I'll try that next - finding an old copy of EM and replacing it (same version). I've got an emergency disk somewhere.

Anyone know of a sure-fire way to do this?

Also, what's the key sequence for starting your Mac and going directly to the Ext Manager?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Zoom (edited 01-12-2001).]
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

Cipher13
Jan 12, 2001, 07:43 AM

Hold space bar at startup.
Ok theres another post somewhere around here about something like this, I can't find it - I recommended replacing the whole thing (extensions manager), and it was never replied to, I don't think, so...
Give that a try I guess.
I can guarantee your computer will crash when you hold down bar at startup.
If that doesn't work, replace everything to do with the extensions manager, and replace your Finder, System file, and Finder Preferences.
Next step is system reinstallation I guess
But I mean I don't even use EM much anymore - just do it manually - almost easier. Use labels to determine your extension sets. Then sort list by label.

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 01-12-2001).]

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, Cipher.

I tried replacing EM and that didn't work. Do I need to restart for replacing a control panel to take effect? I'll try that next.

Cipher13
Jan 12, 2001, 07:54 AM

Hm... no you shouldn't, I don't think - but it might help.
Sorry, I'm really not sure...

Cipher13

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 07:57 AM

That made no difference. I'll try the other things you suggested later. Right now it's not causing a problem (I don't think) until I try to run the EM. But I want to be able to use it. I prefer it to the "old fashioned way".

The other replacements - Finder, System, and Finder Prefs - is that a "lazy man's reinstall"? What are the effects? That is, what will I have to redo if I replace those files? Should I simply delete the Finder Prefs, or can I use a saved version?

My Mac just isn't as stable as it used to be. Granted, I've got lots of third party stuff installed, but I'm sick of that making such a difference. Damn it, it should "just work", like it used to.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 08:05 AM

Can anyone explain to me why this might have happened? I don't recall the EM being so touchy before about moving things by hand.

What is the "Ext Mgr Info" file for?

Could it actually be a hosed extension or control panel that is causing this problem, and not the EM itself?

I'm glad extensions are going away in OS X. How are they providing the same functionality, though? Or are they? Extensions allow apps to tweak the system functionality, right? Somehow. So, how is this accomplished is OSX? Hopefully Apple thought up some clever API to handle this, and therefore they'd have more control over what's modified. I wish I had time to become a Mac developer...

Cipher13
Jan 12, 2001, 08:06 AM

I just downgraded back to 9.04, and its much better again...
9.1 is pretty screwed.
LOL, yeah, lazy mans install
Nothing will have to be changed except for setting your spring loaded folder wait times back to normal, and so on - resulting from getting rid of Finder prefs. You could replace the prefs with something else, but I'd just delete them myself and let it recreate them.
Perhaps when 9.1 updated (it is 9.1 right?), the EM wasn't replaced for some reason?
What version is it?

Cipher13

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 08:13 AM

I'm still on 9.0.4. I've dl'd 9.1, but I was going to wait for the reports to come in before I tried it myself. I'm glad I waited.

No, this is a 9.0.4 problem, which is using EM 4.0.4, I think.

I'm searching MacFixIt, but I doubt I'll find anything.

I'll try those other fixes this weekend, maybe tonight. I'm even thinking of just going ahead with a full re-install. My system has been flaky enough lately that maybe I'm due for a spring cleaing. Most of the other errors involve one app or another locking up. Force Quit usually solves the problem, but sometimes I have to reboot.

Cipher13
Jan 12, 2001, 08:15 AM

Hm... you may as well try 9.1 and see if it cures it, and if not, then reinstall - if you were going to anyway, you have nothing to lose...

Cipher13

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 08:21 AM

There was some known conflict in 9.1 that I couldn't live with... can't recall which one. I'll check out the list again and maybe think about it.

I just thought of something else that's been happening a lot lately. I'm getting Finder quits. It usually just restarts on it's own, of course, but that's rather disconcerting. Would a Finder replace help with that?

I just feel so lost trying to figure this out. Finding an extension conflict is such a royal pain, and then what do you do? Decide not to use some software that you just bought? And some apps really throw is tons of crap, most of which I'll bet isn't needed. Canvas 7 LE must have put 3 dozen files in my extensions folder (all IM***2.FLT). Can you put things into folders within the extensions folder without altering how they're loaded? These Canvas files look like filters, maybe, I don't know. I need to get the latest Extension Overload and start pruning. What a drag.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 08:25 AM

Well, I'll be damned. Are you ready for this? I fixed the problem, and I found the answer on MacFixIt.

I needed to give the Extensions Manager MORE MEMORY! How weird is that?? A control panel needed more memory. And that solved the problem. I just launched it with no problems. I'm going to tweak some things and do a restart to make sure.

Cipher, I'm still curious about the Finder quit. What causes that?

[This message has been edited by Zoom (edited 01-12-2001).]

Cipher13
Jan 12, 2001, 08:37 AM

Hm... I'm not sure about the Finder quits. I doubt replacing it would fix it, but you never know - I'd imagine that was another process running in the background, perhaps an extension...

I've never really messed with folders in the extensions folder, but I don't think it'd work - I know there are folders in there but I believe those are called for by apps/whatever, not loaded into memory...

There are two kinds of conflicts - extension/systen, and extension/extension.
In the case of extension/system - get rid of the extension, or find a fix such as an update.
In the other case, you can choose which to get rid of... So its a trade off either way really.

But a lot of things that are installed, you really don't need... I go through my System Folder whenever I install something. Its good if installation logs are installed too, but I don't trust them generally - they could merely have been "installed", and not be real logs, hiding some extension they didn't want you to know was installed...

More memory is very strange for extensions manager
I've heard of doing that for Appearance... but I didn't even think of that

Anyway, hope some of that helps - I'm a little out of it right now and I can't remember whether I answered your questions...
Gotta head off too, be back in a week or so
Good luck!
Cya later

Cipher13

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 08:48 AM

Alright, Cipher. Take 'er easy. And thanks.

levri
Jan 12, 2001, 11:52 AM

U have to notice that most of cdev are app .... so nothing strange ... in fact the first thing to do when (and bevore) problem occur...
I'had the same problem , give 3 times the memory ... and ext man works just fine without restart ...
I usually do that after each upgrade ... with control strip too... if U have a lot of things in it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules