Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > It seems everybody hates macOS 9!

It seems everybody hates macOS 9!
Aldie
Nov 1, 1999, 12:30 PM

I'm getting very down according to all your messages with discribing problems and so on. Is it really that bad? Is there anyone who is content about MacOS 9? I didn't installed it yet, because off all the problems which are described on this forum. So.. Is there somebody who loves the new OS?
PS: English is not my motherlanguage as you see.

Waldo
Nov 1, 1999, 01:05 PM

I love it!! My only problem is the amount of ram it takes up my iMac. MacOS 9 only takes up 17 Mb on my 6500/300 buy takes 24-26 on my iMac. I quess it gives me a really good reason to finally upgrade to 128 Mb of RAM :-)

I haven't had any real problems with OS 9.
I quess it's just the luck of the draw :-)

Willie

Flurk
Nov 1, 1999, 01:15 PM

MacOS 9 is 5-10 % slower but more stable than OS 8.6. There are incompatibility problems for now but when all the 3rd party software will be updated and the system will be updated to OS 9.1 it will become better. I don't hate it.
We have to be patient. But I agree if you say that OS 8.5 in the past was a better buy.
But OS X will be the winner!!

Aldie
Nov 1, 1999, 01:43 PM

Thanx for your reactions... So there ARE some people who are content with it. Maybe now I'm gonna update. I also think MacOS 9.1 will be better... And if not, then MacOS X will be..

Takeo
Nov 1, 1999, 01:57 PM

Remember also that the nature of a forum like this is to discuss problems. People are much more apt to post about a problem thay have run across that to post about having no problems at all. So you get a really skewed view of Mac OS 9 by reading a forum like this.

Dragonlance
Nov 1, 1999, 03:00 PM

hows the DVD player in OS9 ?

------------------
Mac Rules !!! seeya

derekm
Nov 1, 1999, 03:35 PM

Mac OS9 is a very solid performer, it's more stable than 8.6. But problems do arise...

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 1999, 05:52 PM

I'm running OS 9 on two iBooks and a beige G3/300. So far (since Oct. 23) no problems...

Frank

jsk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 1999, 05:55 PM

First time post here...

I've got a 7300/180 with 80MB of RAM. I'm currently running OS8.1. Trying to decide if I should go to OS9 or go to 8.5 (and then 8.6) and wait it out...

Appreciate all of the posts here thus far.

Takeo
Nov 1, 1999, 06:56 PM

Dispite the problem you may read about in this forum, I would say that Mac OS 9 has been the smoothest and most painless OS upgrade I have ever seen from Apple. It also seems to be a *lot* more stable.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 1999, 07:05 PM

PERSPECTIVE... something that you will not get by reading trouble reports...

think about it, people aren't necessarily coming to a troubleshooting forum to say how great their Mac is... thus you are reading how bad everything is...

jeez, i can not say why but all the Macs in my family are operating perfectly and pretty much always have (6360, 6500, PB 5300, G3 PB wallstreet, G3 minitower, revD iMac, etc...)
even with each succeeding MacOS. They are all at 8.6 now I believe... I have MacOS 9 but have not had time to install it... I have too much work to do and can't take the downtime to install it... but I have installed it on other friend's Macs including the iBook and MacOS 9 is just fine!!

47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 1999, 03:05 AM

Every major OS upgrade has its problems, especially a consumer one like MacOS, which can be installed on many variations of machines with various software situations. The best way to avoid problems is to do a clean install and migrate old files back from the "Previous System Folder." It may take a LOT longer to upgrade this way but it prevents problems in troubleshooting crashes and incompatibilities.

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

jtm
Nov 2, 1999, 04:03 PM

5-10% slower?

Just wondering how you got that number? If you got it from Macbench, it's very likely invalid since a number of people said Macbench needs to be adjusted for Macos 9.

Most people seem to think macos 9 "feels" faster and is more responsive, as well as more stable.

Flurk
Nov 2, 1999, 06:17 PM

I checked it out with macBench 4 and 5.
MacOS 9 is slower than 8.6 on my computer, a 8100/100 with Sonnet G3 crescendo.
With virtual memory off the graphics speed is -15 % compared with OS 8.6 and with VM ON (!) -5 %. CPU are -5 or -8%.
But OS 9 is more stable.
There are incompatibility problems for users of a PDS graphics card and a videocaddy with the CD-ROM driver, but with my Sonata Nubus graphics card OS 9 is stable.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 1999, 10:10 PM

So far LOVIN mac OS 9. I have it running on my 7500/XLR8 G3 card and on my Powerbook G3 1999 and to me it seems faster than Mac OS 8.6. So far I have only scratched the surface of the OS but I'm lovin it so far. But Like a post stated Mac OS X will be the Winner. I think it will be a Perfect X or at least pretty close to it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

JimWall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 1999, 01:08 AM

So far no real problems with OS9. I have a post out about problems with the Belkin USB card and my copy of PGP 6.0.2 is also out. This is to be expected every time there is a major change in the OS. In 8.5 there were a lot of interface changes where now most of the changes are "under the hood". So far it is more stable than 8.6 was and on my Beige G3 300 it feels faster. So far I'm happy with the change. This is diffrent than OE 5 which did little besides hose my system.
James Wall
[email protected]

StephCor
Nov 3, 1999, 12:16 PM

This has been by far the smoothest system upgrade I've done in 10 years. It only crashed once on me, due to an incompatible app, but I updated it, and haven't had any other problems. OS 9 actually uses LESS RAM than OS 8.6 did on my PB G3 '99, with a hefty helping of system extensions. Communicator 4.7 loads web pages faster. Thank you to everyone who posts problems. This is the most effective way to squash bugs.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 1999, 12:31 PM

been running OS9 on an 8500/233 and 233 wallstreet with no stability issues at all... i suspect that is because it isn't such a major change as OS8 was. i think it actually was supposed to be 8.7 since i have seen one error box so far that referred to 8.7 instead of 9 best and smoothest upgrade yet, i heartily recommend it.

Munin
Nov 3, 1999, 07:58 PM

I wanted to make another positive note. I've had no problems with Mac OS 9. And contrary to what some have posted I've seen speed increases in most instances compared with 8.6. Average "Seti@home" times have dropped 3 hours. Apps are starting quicker, etc.

I have noticed the RAM requirements are a bit severe... hovering around 49MB normally.

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 1999, 05:35 PM

I've had mixed experiences with Mac OS 9... it does seem slower to me on my PB G3/400 (the only machine I currently have it installed on, the rest are sticking with 8.6 which has been rock stable for me), especially screen redraws in programs like Claris Emailer. I've heard that the older graphics drivers perform better, so I'll look into that. It doesn't feel any more stable to me, either. Sherlock 2 seems to like to freeze my Mac when it's running (even in the background) for no reason. Unfortunately 8.6 wasn't too stable on this PowerBook either... if only all my Macs could be as stable as my trusty PowerCenter G4 (yes, upgraded)... that thing with 8.6 NEVER crashes.

Aldie
Nov 5, 1999, 03:43 PM

Well, thanks for all your reply's and I finally upgraded to MacOS 9. And actually, I love it. It's much faster then 8.6 (on my machine) and almost never crashes. Though I had (and still have) a little bit problems with it. I get some type 3 errors when I try to open some programs. Especially with Gerry''s icq. That even wont startup. Any have problems with it? Cya, Aldie

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 1999, 06:14 PM

have you tried the latest version of Gerry's ICQ? http://macicq.virtualave.net/downloads/GerrysICQd35.sit

Adamp88
Nov 5, 1999, 07:04 PM

I'll just add my 2 cents in - I upgraded from 8.1 to 9, and so far, I am very pleased with the upgrade. Overall it seems a lot sleeker and smoother than 8, and aside from a longer startup time in general, faster - and probably one of the greatest things is that it only took about 20 minutes to install (try installing windoze in 20 minutes...).

I haven't had any compatibility issues whatsoever, but if you're concerned about that www.alsoft.com has a free utility that checks apps to see if they're compatible with OS 9, so you can do that before you upgrade.
And the multiple users thing is going to be great when I take my iMac home for the holidays .

M Gerenser
Nov 6, 1999, 12:22 PM

Just thought I'd add my comments: I have OS 9 running on both my iBook and G4, and both systems are running perfectly: no crashes or slowdowns or anything of that sort... seriously! And I'm even running IE 4.5 and OE 5. I absolutely love Mac OS 9! Like wlonh had mentioned, I don't think I've ever had any problems with my Macs. They just work, I guess.

mrl14
Nov 7, 1999, 07:18 PM

My Thoughts on OS 9:

Boot up Time: more than 50% faster

Sherlock 2: Worse than sherlock one. The features are great but its extremely slow, crashes to often and I just can't seem to get the work done. Apple is trying more for the look with this like they have with their machines.

Multiple Users likes to crash a lot and haven't had that much success with voice recognition.

Other than that everything is great...it's just really sherlock that is buggin me (I can turn off MU)..but that's a minor thing ;p
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

brahmservo
Nov 7, 1999, 10:44 PM

i really like mac os 9! the multiple user feature is really nice. it's nice to be able to keep my preferences and my significant other's preferences separate.

i'm running it on a powerbook g3 300mhz (wallstreet) and a power computing powercenter pro 210.

powerbook: it feels faster and seems more stable though does take up more ram (currently about 23mb). i am having some problems with the dvd and multiple users functionality, though (i'll post as another topic).

power computing: 8.5 and 8.6 were terribly unstable on the clone (maybe it was the 3dfx card...dunno), so i had to revert back to 8.1. 9 is nice and stable, but made the computer feel quite a bit slower. it seems to hit the disk more, even with virtual memory off. since the hard disk is almost always the bottleneck, i broke down and bought an ultra2 wide scsi card (advansys ASB3940U2W...cheaper, better performance, and better cross platform support than the adaptec 2940U2W) and hard disk (an 18 GB ibm ultrastar 18es [DNES-318350]). needless to say, this hardware upgrade and new os have breathed new life into this aging machine...at least until g4 processor upgrades are developed for it. *grin*

Nov 10, 1999, 10:41 AM

Not quite everybody hates Mac OS 9. Just for the record, I've had fewer problems with it than with any of the Mac OS releases (starting with System 7) that I've installed.

FWIW, I ran a "dirty" installation of Mac OS 9 on my 450 MHz B/W G3, after first having partitioned the internal hard drive with FWB HDT 3.0.2. Other than a glitch in the DVD software (my fault--I was using a patched library that I had not remembered to remove), I've had no problems whatever! Even my SCSI UMAX scanner worked from the beginning without a hitch. System crashes are almost completely a thing of the past.

I have no idea what causes the problems that some have reported with this OS--though I don't at all doubt that they have occurred, especially in light of the basic "under the hood" changes in the system. But from my perspective, at least, Apple certainly has it right this time!

WickedDyno
Nov 14, 1999, 12:47 AM

First of all, I have experienced NO slowdowns vs. 8.6 and it feels more responsive. I haven't had any crashes not caused by MacsBug 6.6 -- which dislikes several of my games, including Klingon Honor Guard and Cythera, apparently -- or other known problems. At least since I turned off speech recognition; one time I made that crash by burping.

Me: *uuurp*

Computer: [gets it to a nunnery]

I absolutely LOVE TCP/IP filesharing. Sherlock II kicks ass and it's been nothing but chortles from day one. The new, non-modal error dialogs make me want to shout "Kaloo! Kallay!" and the frabjous day when I bought Mac OS 9 was one of the happiest I've had in a while.

Sheesh, I AM a geek, aren't I?

------------------
Gravity is the enemy.

Flurk
Nov 14, 1999, 05:15 AM

It seems that MacOS 9 performs better on some computers and is slower on others than 8.6.
Some people have experienced severe incompatibility problems, and other not.
It depends on what you use, USB, iomega zip USB, G3 accelerators, graphic cards, scanners, printer, etc...
It depends also on the applications that you need.

The best thing to do is to do A CLEAN install OS 9 on a second partition or harddrive and check it out... In case of problems you can always switch back to the good old 8.6.
I won't erase system 8.6 untill I am sure that all the problems of 9.0 are fixed... And this could take several months...

But if it becomes faster on my computer and more stable ("guard pages?") I will love the MacOS 9.1...

[This message has been edited by Flurk (edited 11-14-1999).]

jtm
Nov 17, 1999, 01:10 PM

I've clean-installed os9 on two macs on almost different ends of the powerpc spectrum, and both macs feel improved from the 8.6 that was installed. One mac is a new iMac DV and the other is a 6300 w/32Mb RAM.

Stability and speed is up; memory usage (with VM on) went down on the iMac and up a little on the 6300 (7Mb->8.5Mb). One thing I did was disable all the new functionality in os9 that I don't need and/or wasn't in 8.6. The machines are standalone (not networked) at home connecting to the web over modem, and I didn't want to use multi-user logon.

Perhaps the people who see slowdowns are using cloned macs and/or not disabling some of the new functionality. If you want all the new frills, be prepared for a speed and memory hit.

To me, improved responsiveness and stability are the most important new features in os9.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 18, 1999, 04:35 AM

So far, I'm loving Mac OS 9. Definitely more stable than 8.x. The only MAJOR incompatibility I found was Adobe Type Manager, which absolutely MUST be updated to a special OS 9-only version (4.5.2).

If you update, rather than doing a clean install, deactivate ATM before updating, because as soon as old versions of ATM load they bomb the computer.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules