Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 11)
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2004, 03:45 PM

Fenbar, can you get those cases from here in the US? Somehow? Do you know how much the 15" is?
Apple user since 1987

Fenbar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 03:54 PM

I haven't discovered anywhere in N. America which sell them, but you can order and have them delivered here. Friend's brother has ordered the case for his 12" PB.

As for price, my friend paid 12,000 Yen for it at a shop in downtown Tokyo. I ended up paying him back $125 Canadian (worry every penny).

chrisx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2004, 10:46 PM

I would need a case for that case. Haha, it looks pretty cool. I bought the Tom Bihn Monolith for my 15" and I'm waiting for their Smart Alec to come back in stock.

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 01:36 AM

after all this reading and thinking and reading..

in some ways i want the booq cuz it's a nice bag that is really 2 in one.. + a camera holder for me...

but it's so freaking expensive..

anyway, i think i am going to get the Zero Shock and just go buy a nice bag from somewhere else.� Seriously there are nice bags for 30-40 $ and a zero shock is $30. I just can't see spending $180 on something... and i liv ein manhattan and walk/subway everywhere...

�me

Ωh00liganΩ
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 11:29 PM

i ended up getting the sony bag made for teh 12" vaio. It looks nice, i'll post back some pics or something when i get it.

the best part is it was freaking $33 shipped.

the model is PCGA-CCP2 for anyone curious.. and i got it at saveateagle.com
-= H00ligan =-

amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

deburca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 06:15 AM

wee tester..

deburca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 06:28 AM

I'm looking for a messengerbag to hold my freshly purchased 17" powerbook. My problem is that they appear,on the whole,
to be whales . For example, I saw this illustration of the tom bihn empire builder at gadgeteer.com:

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/empirebag-review.html

that thing looks like a weekend travel bag. A chunky one at that.. Even the booq folee messenger, which I thought looked fairly svelte in the photos, was described by bag review (www.bagreview.com) as "HEAVY and LARGE" (his caps). I'm not in I.T. so my storage needs are pretty light; the p.book, some mags a few notepads a juice bottle & whathaveyou. I'm thinking; buy the booq powersleeve for protection(anyone have any preferences?), and bung it into a more standard messenger. Has anyone else gone this route? Any & all advice gratefully received.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2004, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by deburca:
I'm thinking; buy the booq powersleeve for protection(anyone have any preferences?), and bung it into a more standard messenger. Has anyone else gone this route? Any & all advice gratefully received.
If you want to put it into a horizontal messenger bag, you should get a horizontal sleeve.

I recommend the Brain Cell from Tom Bihn. It has a hard, protective outer shell with a soft foam sling that the Powerbook sits inside. The protection is super, and this way -- you won't have to remove the sleeve in order to remove the Powerbook from your messenger bag.

You'd need a "Size 1".
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Lord_Data
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2004, 03:35 AM

hey guys is there any kind of consensus on these bags for the 12 inch powerbook?...i was looking at the wee bee from crumpler...or the mac case messenger ( http://jambags.com/MacCase%20Messenger.htm )...anyways is there some better stuff out there? am i gonna need a sleeve as well as the bag? just kind of wondering where some other people would go on this one since it seems i am totally stuck

daiSho
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 03:42 AM

can any owners of the 17" "Booq" Powersleeve chime in w/ their opinions of this case? i really like the vertical over-the-shoulder format, but does it hold barely anything else than the computer? does it feel sturdy, good build quality, extra room for peripherals..?

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 12:08 PM

After 16 continuous months of use, I am still happy with my Brenthaven backpack for my 17" PowerBook.

Nothing is broken, torn, or otherwise damaged.

I frequently will use the removable sleeve to transport my PowerBook short distances, and find it very useful.

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that the outer shell hasn't started to show more wear, because I've not really taken any special precautions with keeping it clean. I'm a photojournalist and I've found that my camera bag wears pretty dramatically in a relatively short period of time.

I'm not carrying much more beyond the needs of the computer itself [i.e.-no text books, or an excessive amount of junk]. I do toss the daily paper in the front pocket every morning along with a couple of magazines that hitch a ride for a week or so at a time.

Overall, I've grown quite comfortable with it's use and have found a home for each cable, adapter, mouse...I know where stuff is and how to get to it when I need to.

Two thumbs up.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by daiSho:
can any owners of the 17" "Booq" Powersleeve chime in w/ their opinions of this case? i really like the vertical over-the-shoulder format, but does it hold barely anything else than the computer? does it feel sturdy, good build quality, extra room for peripherals..?
I had one. Dropped my powerbook while in this sleevecase about two feet. Of course my powerbook was dented. Sleevecases are nice because they are light but they offer little protection, especially for the relatively easily denting powerbooks.

Just got a 15" powerbook (easier to travel with) and decided to not mess around with sleevecases anymore and got the MacTruck from RadTech. This thing is bulletproof.

As far as the Booq and storage, it is a pretty nice tradeoff of size versus storage. The little pocket up front can store a couple of disks and the power brick, and the full length pocket on the back can hold a few magazines. It is a nice looking sleevecase and the top-loading design is cool.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

daiSho
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
I had one. Dropped my powerbook while in this sleevecase about two feet. Of course my powerbook was dented. Sleevecases are nice because they are light but they offer little protection, especially for the relatively easily denting powerbooks.

Just got a 15" powerbook (easier to travel with) and decided to not mess around with sleevecases anymore and got the MacTruck from RadTech. This thing is bulletproof.

As far as the Booq and storage, it is a pretty nice tradeoff of size versus storage. The little pocket up front can store a couple of disks and the power brick, and the full length pocket on the back can hold a few magazines. It is a nice looking sleevecase and the top-loading design is cool.
yes, i worried that the Booq might not hold enough other toys (iPod, PDA, digital camera, etc.) but i really do like the top-loading design, i haven't seen another bag designed like that... the Brenthaven looks like it holds a lot but doesn't seem very stylish to me at all. time to hit the first page of this thread again and start going through the vendors one by one again! i'm going to asia for a couple months in october and really need to get a case squared away for toting my 17" over there safely..!

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2004, 04:00 AM

just an update.. i got my pack and it's awesome (for the money)I can't believe it was so cheap.

Things I like:

12" pb fits horizontally in it.. vertically i can carry my work ibm r40 - good padding
Very comfortable straps
handle is sturdy
Cell phone holder holds my ex-s3 cam very well probably an ipod too.. the 3rd and 4th gen at least
lots of storage
seems relatively weather resistant
separated compartments
light

Things I don't like
Front pocket only has one zipper - alkward to get small things out of quickly
nothing to clip keys to in front pocket
vaio logo - i wouldn't like apple either, i don't like paying to advertise for others. - may be able to remedy this.

Indifferent items
Side pockets.. they're there.. not worthless, not great.. just there..I wish there was some documentation maybe then i'd figure out what the hell half this stuff was for.

Things I don't understand about it
What is the bungie cord for.. i assume for putting things like a yoga mat, umbrella, etc..
around the bungie there are holes, is this to lace something through (i'm backpack clueless, in my day there were 2 pockets and we were glad for them.

All things told, i really don't think you can beat this pack for $33 shipped.

If you guys want pics.. let me know i'll take some
-= H00ligan =-

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2004, 12:57 AM

did anyone post a link for the north face daypack laptop bags?

if not i believe it is:

www.TheNorthFace.com

packs>daypacks>campus

check out the modem and bandwih

i also found a Oakley laptop case, it was like $175 usd, im not sure if the website lists it though.

I'll probably end up picking up a North Face Modem laptop backpack soon.

edit: found link for the Oakley laptop case:

http://oakley.com/catalog/enlarge_on...uter_bag/black

hope i helped.

daiSho
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 12:43 AM

any Boblbee "Megapolis" owners here on the fora? i'm wondering whether one would hold my 17" Powerbook w/out issue... if anyone could chime in that would be great, i've done some searches but cant find a definite answer..!

naevity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 12:09 AM

Well, I just ordered a Timbuk2 Commute, Powersleeve, and a Podsleeve. Ive had this powerbook for about a year, time to make sure i have the right case

Anyway, I will try to get pictures up when I get the case, i know if anyone is like me, your searching for pictures of cases before you buy, both inside and out.

saman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 06:44 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions for some nice looking bags/rucksacks that would fit a 17" MacTruck?

http://www.radtech.us/Products/MacTruck.aspx

I guess protection shouldn't be so much of a problem with this bulletproof monster!

novocain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 01:21 AM

Tom Bihn's Brain Cell
http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...roduct_Count=0

and InCase's Nylon Sleeve
http://www.goincase.com/prod_laptop/...leeveNylon.php

anyone has used these two bags?
could you please give some comments?
Thank you!

I want to buy one for my 15'' G4 pb

rilina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2004, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Lord_Data:
hey guys is there any kind of consensus on these bags for the 12 inch powerbook?...i was looking at the wee bee from crumpler...or the mac case messenger ( http://jambags.com/MacCase%20Messenger.htm )...anyways is there some better stuff out there? am i gonna need a sleeve as well as the bag? just kind of wondering where some other people would go on this one since it seems i am totally stuck
Can I echo this query? I've got a 12" ibook and I'm looking for a laptop bag that isn't too big. I'm small, and too many laptop bags are simply too big and heavy to be comfortable. I don't need to carry too much in it when I travel - just the laptop, the usual cords, my wallet, ipod, and perhaps a file folder of documents - and extra space generally only encourages me to overload it.

My current setup is a Waterfield sleeve in a Swiss Army bag. Love the Waterfield sleeve. The Swiss Army bag is another thing. The construction is generally good, but the strap is terrible - and that renders the whole thing rather useless.

I know I could go to a backpack for the most comfort but they tend to be huge, and I don't want to look like a student (since I'm a working professional).

Crumpler Wee Bee - Cool styling but not made specifically for 12" screens. Strap looks sturdy and well padded. Relatively expensive.
Radtech Brink or Alley - They have small ones that are made for 12" screens, which is good. I like the styling of the Brink better, but its strap looks flimsy compared to that of the Alley or the Wee Bee above.
MacCase Messenger - Least cool styling, though removable sleeve (if slightly dorky, with that see through window) is a nice throw in. Strap looks decent.

Can anyone report on how well those work out for them? With the Crumpler, is there too much room when 12" laptops are in there, or is it snug and secure? Are the straps comfortable and adjustable enough for short people like me?

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2004, 04:45 PM

Rillina, did you have a look at the Crumpler Roll-O-Notes? It's supposed to be roomy, and will fit the 12" without any problems. I've ordered one, and I should get it in a couple of days. I'll try it out, and leave my experiences here. I'm using a 12" PB by the way.
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

rilina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 12:23 AM

I did look at it - I thought the vertical orientation of the Wee Bee might work better for me. (One of my main complaints with some messenger bags is that they seem unnecessarily wide.) As I said before, I don't really need it to be that roomy - mainly looking for a comfy strap, secure fit for the iBook, and some basic storage space for the bare essentials.

Would love to hear what you think about the Roll-O-Notes.

daiSho
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2004, 05:33 PM

can anyone tell me if the BOOQ Powersleeve 17" will fit my Powerbook in a very fitted hard case? is there any room in there at all or is it just too tight to expect it to work? (i'm referring to the japanese hard case from the previous page, btw)... thx all..!

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 29, 2004, 08:33 PM

Mareware's clueless about Canadian orders:

I was about to order a mareware sleeve for my 12" PB, however they had terrible customer service and couldn't give me an estimate of the total cost of my order. So Canadians beware! It was a shame, because I really liked their product. When I emailed them a question about placing an order, they responded by saying that they weren't sure about the process of shipping products to Canada. Whatever...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 29, 2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by novocain:
.....InCase's Nylon Sleeve
http://www.goincase.com/prod_laptop/...leeveNylon.php

anyone has used these two bags?
could you please give some comments?
Thank you!

I want to buy one for my 15'' G4 pb
I ended up purchasing the small InCase Nylon Sleeve for my 12" PB. An iBook would fit snuggly in this sleeve, and the PowerBook fits in pretty well. I would recommend it for both notebooks. My PowerBook doesn't shake around inside of it, or anything, so it's snug and secure in that respect.

It comes with a shoulder strap (I found this a bit small?), but still nice to have. The front pocket could easily fit a compact digital camera or an Apple Power Adapter, USB cable, ethernet cable, etc.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

rilina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 10:32 PM

azt33, once you get your Crumpler, could you tell me if the 14" width measurement given for the Roll-O-Notes is for the bottom width, the top width, or somewhere in between? It looks much wider at the top than the bottom, so I'm trying to figure out how big it actually is.

Thanks!

novocain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 05:41 PM

just received Tom Bihn Brain Cell for my 15" PB.
It is great! i love it!
The size is just perfect!

daiSho
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2004, 07:26 PM

anyone know if a 17" Powerbook will fit in the Oakley computer bag? specs aren't very detailed, only thing they mentioned is that it is 17" wide... anyone have a clue? the bag can be seen here.

any input would be great, i am in what is becoming desperate need for a bag..!

Leo the 3rd
Oct 6, 2004, 08:57 PM

Well I received my Waterfield Sleeve case with the ballistic flap and shoulder strap. I love this case. Very well made - from the stitching, sturdy metal clips, fit around my PB. The customer service is top notch. The folks at SF Bags were very prompt in their responses via email. Bravo to Gary & the gang. Highly recommended. Remember, the cost of their products is just a small fraction of what we paid for our systems.

Kirke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2004, 12:27 PM

Last week I spent a good many hours (too many) scouring the Web for sleeves or small bags for my PB12. I probably followed every link in this thread as least once. As far as sleeves go, I seriously considered (in no particular order):

1. ZeroShock ($30, good impact protection, not waterproof? "horizontal". opens full, two zippers, high-resistance polyurethane. not very attractive) review: http://homepage.mac.com/faucon/Leftovers/zeroshock.html

2. stm Glove ($30, "vertical." opens halfway. neoprene. PB12 size available. black.) http://www.standardtm.com.au/special_cases_glove.cfm

3. Marware SportFolio ($30. horizonal, zipper top only. neoprene. PB12 size available. unusual fabric.) http://www.marware.com/SFSleeves.html

4. WaterField Designs sleevecase (size 2) ($37 +. horizontal or vertical. lots of options for more $$.) http://www.sfbags.com/

5. incase Nylon Sleeve ($50. padded nylon. horizontal. zipper top. full size handles+shoulder strap. pocket. conservative/business look. larger than minimal sleeves.) http://www.goincase.com/prod_laptop/...leeveNylon.php

6. Crumpler School Hymn 12 ($45. horizontal. full-open zipper. only 1 zipper. vinyl-like material with hard sides. black or bright colors. 12PB size but reportedly a bit big.) Site: http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/...hool_hymn.html Review: http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthr...&goto=lastpost

7. Booq PowerSleeve 12 ($45. vertical. thick padding. larger than most sleeves. handle and strap. 2 colors.) Good price: http://www.semsons.com/booqpow12.html http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=18

8. Tom Bihn Brain Cell size 5 ($50. horizontal. hard sides/nylon. bigger than typical sleeves. handle. top-open flap. various colors.) http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0300

and so on...

I was torn between getting a form-fitting sleeve to fit in a brief case or more of a stand-along sleeve like the Booq PowerSleeve. I was sorely tempted to get the Crumpler sleeve as the best looking true sleeve. However, people reported that the 12PB one is a little too big (probably to hit the iBook as well) and it's a bit expensive for a minimal sleeve.

Then I stumbled on to the Tunano sleeve. It was mentioned here, but very hard to find a US site that sells them. Fortunately there was a link to Royal Business who has them at a great price: http://www.royalbusiness.com/default...turers_id=2891 The site offers very little information about the products, so you have to use the cryptic model numbers to look up the descriptions on the Tucano (Italian language) site: http://www.tucano.it/ITA/html_estern...me_folders.htm

Here's what I found in the way of sleeves. Royal has the Tucano Apple 2nd Skin sleeve in the following sizes/colors:
BFNL14G 14" iBook "Apple elements" Grey._$14.95_
BFNL14R 14" iBook "Apple elements" Red._$14.95_
BFNL15G4 15" Powerbook "Apple elements" Black._$15.95_
BFNL17G4 17" Powerbook "Apple elements" Black._$17.95_
BFNS12G4 12" Powerbook "Apple elements" Black. $13.95_
BFNS12G4G 12" Powerbook "Apple elements" Grey. $13.95_
BFNS12G4R 12" Powerbook "Apple elements" Red. $13.95_
BFNS12R 12" iBook "Apple elements" Red. $13.95_

These "Apple Elements Folders" are sleeve designed for Apple iBooks and Powerbooks with a logo based on the periodic table. For example the 12" Powerbook has a square with PB in large letters with 12" in smaller letters in the top right corner.

The price was right, so I stopped dithering around and ordered the old BFNS12G4G for $14+$5 for shipping. Since it was so cheap I also tossed in a "Cobra per Apple Horizontal Limit Small x12" (Grigio)" bag for $29. They are both supposed to arrive today. I'll post a review and pics.

Hope this helps someone,
Kirke

Kirke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2004, 04:08 PM

The Tucano sleeve and shoulder arrived today as expected. I've posted a dozen or so pictures on my Web site at http://www.faircraft.com/tucano/bag.html. They are both nice, but the grey sleeve isn't as cool as I'd hoped (the logo is black on grey instead of white on grey). Get the black or red instead. Still, $19 (including shipping) is a deal. $29 for the messenger back is a bargain too.

Kirke

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 05:31 AM

I promised to tell you guys what I thought of the Roll-O-Notes, so...

I've had it for 10 days now, and I've used it almost every day.
First of all, it feels very sturdy. It's padded, not only the laptop sleeve, but the whole bag. That's definetely a plus, since you are going to carry around a $1000 (iBook)/$2000 (PB) inside it. I don't have a problem to carry my PB inside it, and just put it in the back seat of my car. I didn't have any rainy weather yet, but I think rain/water will not be a problem either. Haven't tested it out yet though.

To move on to the room inside the bag, well, there isn't much. I usually need to carry a couple of school books, a calculator, an agenda, etc. with me, and I do have problems closing it sometimes. It becomes really bulky (in my eyes), and looks kinda weird, especially on me as a girl. I guess that's because I got the smallest bag in the line-up, maybe a Wacl-O-Phone would be better for this job. I also wanted to mention that there is more than enough space for the 12" PB with the Tucano Second Skin in the laptop sleeve inside the bag (I hope that made sense). I could actually fit some paper files next to the PB without any problems. There's also some room next to the PB when in the bag.
If you want to carry your PB and some additional stuff with it, like a mouse, charger, iPod, digital camera, etc. then this bag is more than enough. It's got three pockets inside the bag, and a zipped pocket on the front (this pocket is not big, and is actually meant for small items like pens, erasers, maybe some small notes/papers).

In conclusion, I love this bag, but it will not be my school bag, because it doesn't have enough space. However, I do take it practically everywhere with me, because I just put the PB and other stuff inside it, and just leave it in the car when I don't need it (in the trunk of course ).
If you have any questions, please ask me!
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

rilina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 03:59 PM

Kirke, thanks for all the information on the Tucano bag and sleeve. I've just ordered the red 12" iBook sleeve and the gray Cobra bag for 12" computers. I'd also been looking around for bags/sleeeves/combos for a long time, and this looks like just what I needed. And the price can't be beat!

I'll post pictures too when mine comes in.

az_matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 06:20 PM

So after reading this entire thread and doing some research, I went with the Shinza Zero Shock. I have a nice backpack that I use and just wanted a nice, snug fitting sleve that gives me some scratch/impact protection. I had been using the very thin foam-ish sleve that the PB came packed in since I got it - and that's just not good enough.

Ordered it last night, should be here early next week. I'll post my review and pics when it gets here. Can't wait.

Matthew

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 10:05 PM

Today I received the Waterfield Designs RacerX laptop case for my 15" AL Powerbook. It's exactly the kind of case I was looking for good looking, sleek and holds a bunch of stuff but still looks compact. I love the mountain bike handle, it's extremely comfortable. Kudos to Gary, his responses to my emails were practically instantaneous. I even got a hand written thank you note for my order. Great products and customer service.

kalani79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2004, 03:26 AM

Does anybody have any experience with the Brenthaven bags on the Apple website that do not appear on the Brenthaven website?

This is the bag of which I speak. (This URL may not take you directly to it, but it's the 12" Brenthaven messenger bag in an olive color of sorts.)

It looks like a great bag, just wondering if anybody's had any real world experience with it. My one worry (for the 12" version) is that there isn't much room for anything other than the PB and a few accessories, and possibly an 8.5x11 notepad.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 11:59 PM

the sportfolio II looks pretty groovy.
http://www.marware.com/SportFolio_II.html

only problem is it claims to be for powerbook 12" and ibook 12" all at once.

does this mean i should avoid it? (i'm planning to buy a PB12)

-yakov
( Last edited by Yakov; Oct 19, 2004 at 12:23 AM. )

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 05:48 AM

Just a note, I had to bring my brother's iBook and my PB with me, and they both fitted inside the laptop sleeve of the Roll-O-Notes! And they both had their Second Skin sleeve wrapped around them. Of course, this meant that I couldn't carry much more with me.
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Leo the 3rd
Oct 19, 2004, 12:11 PM

Has anyone used the Waterfield Sleeve with a Racer-X case? Does it fit? Or did you have to go up a size to fit the Sleeve in the Racer X?

Well I found out from SFBags, that the Racer-X case comes with a built-in sleeve. So for me the Medium Cargo bag is the best combo with my Sleevecase.
( Last edited by Leo the 3rd; Oct 19, 2004 at 07:08 PM. )

plasticmoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 07:13 PM

Thanks Kirke,

I was looking for a sleeve so I can have my PB in a backpack once in a while. I too was set on the Crumpler regardless of the price but the fact it won't fit snug sort of defeats the purpose so your link to Royal was very handy. Saved me some money too. Went with the red one!

rilina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2004, 06:43 PM

I got my Tucano SecondSkin iBook sleeve and Tucano Cobra series 12" messenger bag today.

Kirke did a great job taking pictures in his review of the same products, so I'm not going to take pictures myself. I just have a few extra things to report:

(1) The red sleeve is really beautiful. I was a little worried from the pictures on Tucano's site that the red might be too orangey, but that isn't at all the case. It fits the iBook like a glove.

(2) The bag was a tad smaller than I expected. (Seeing dimensions on screen is never quite the same as seeing a bag in real life.) Small is a good thing, from my POV, so I'm generally pleased with it. I do wish it had a pocket on the flap so one didn't have to open everything just to get at one's wallet or plane tickets, but I knew that wasn't the case when I made the purchase.

(3) The iBook fits perfectly into the padded section of the bag--too perfectly, in fact. Because when you put the iBook in its sleeve it simply won't fit into the padded section. This leads me to conclude that this bag was really designed for powerbooks or was really not supposed to be used in combo with a sleeve. (The iBook in its sleeve does fit in the non-padded section of the bag, though this would seem to defeat the purpose of having a padded section.)

So that's a bit annoying, but all in all, I'm still very pleased with both purchases. At $50 combined (including shipping), it's a great deal, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of both of them.

daiSho
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 11:31 PM

broke down and ordered the Booq FoleeMessenger 17" attache yesterday, i will post a review w/ pics this weekend for any who have considered this case..

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by kalani79:
Does anybody have any experience with the Brenthaven bags...

...It's the 12" Brenthaven messenger bag in an olive color of sorts.

It looks like a great bag, just wondering if anybody's had any real world experience with it. My one worry (for the 12" version) is that there isn't much room for anything other than the PB and a few accessories, and possibly an 8.5x11 notepad.
I actually contacted them. Here are the emails exchanged:

Please email me some pictures or a brochure of your new Messenger Bag. It is on your website in black, blue skies, celery, and red. The description does not state whether it comes with a laptop sleeve or not. Or that it is padded inside for a laptop. It also doesn't specifiy the internal dimensions of the messenger bag.

Thanks.
And their response:
Our messenger bag is not a computer bag. It is a traditional messenger bag in every sense of the word. People use it as a book bag, travel bag, diaper bag...anything you can think of. Although it does offer some padding it does not offer the protection that our traditional computer cases have to offer. There is not a sleeve in it because it is not a computer specific bag.

I hope this has helped? Please let me know if you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can help you with.
So if you're looking for a "messenger laptop bag" this one may not be what you are wanting. Just thought you'd want to know. Hope that helps.

sweetsdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the great posts on this thread.

I ordered the Timbuk2 Commute bag (light green and silver) with their iPod case, which fits nicely on the shoulder strap. I love the bag but I recommend you get the shoulder strap pad; I got the one with the non-slip coating. I have an iBook 12" in there now but my 15" PowerBook was ordered yesterday and I test the fit at my local Apple store. For the iBook, and probably the 12" PowerBook, the laptop slot is a bit big but the 15" fits in perfectly.

If you order from Timbuk2 directly, the laptop slot is fleece lined not corduroy like the ones I saw at the Apple store.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

p0ser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2004, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by sweetsdream:
Thanks for the great posts on this thread.

I ordered the Timbuk2 Commute bag (light green and silver) with their iPod case, which fits nicely on the shoulder strap. I love the bag but I recommend you get the shoulder strap pad; I got the one with the non-slip coating. I have an iBook 12" in there now but my 15" PowerBook was ordered yesterday and I test the fit at my local Apple store. For the iBook, and probably the 12" PowerBook, the laptop slot is a bit big but the 15" fits in perfectly.

If you order from Timbuk2 directly, the laptop slot is fleece lined not corduroy like the ones I saw at the Apple store.
Can any owners of the Timbuk2 Commute bag post some photos of this bag in action? I've only seen the smaller models, and I'm curious to see how much space is remaining in the bag once its carrying the laptop. Thanks!

wilsonng
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 06:04 AM

Yes, those Booq bags are expensive but consider it a small expenditure to the price of a new laptop.

Sometimes you have to set aside the price of the laptop bag and get the best one that you can afford....

To protect a $1,700 + laptop, I'd get the best laptop I can afford....

Originally posted by h00ligan:
after all this reading and thinking and reading..

in some ways i want the booq cuz it's a nice bag that is really 2 in one.. + a camera holder for me...

but it's so freaking expensive..

anyway, i think i am going to get the Zero Shock and just go buy a nice bag from somewhere else.� Seriously there are nice bags for 30-40 $ and a zero shock is $30. I just can't see spending $180 on something... and i liv ein manhattan and walk/subway everywhere...

�me

Ωh00liganΩ

sweetsdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2004, 09:52 AM

p0ser, here are some pictures of my new PowerBook 15" and my Timbuk2 Commute.

Pictures on my blog

Its hard to tell but I have a ton of stuff packed in the various zippers and pockets. With a laptop, it should hold a few books and cables. Make sure you get the shoulderpad because there isn't one built-in.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

patankar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2004, 08:45 PM

Hi all,
Just bought a Timbuk2 sleeve for my new 15" PB...fits like a glove, plus the velvet on the inside was something that had me sold. I bought it from the university bookstore for 34.99 here is Seattle ... the website says 50.00...so I guess I got a decent deal. My only worry is placing it in a vertical position in a backpack. Does anyone do this on a rgular basis? I think that its well protected on the sides but I would like some opinions!!! Thanks....

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 01:02 PM

Anyone checked out the Booq Cobra.XM? It looks damn impressive.

http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=87
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

perbl
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2004, 07:01 AM

I just got an Osprey Torque, really cool bag, kinda big since it has pre-moulded shape, but perfect for putting Powerbook, MX900, power adapter as well as a few books and papers into. Besides, it looks really cool

Quality feels really good so far, taped zippers, waist to strap around your waist when you gotta run with it etc, many small details that makes this a great technical bag.

http://www.greatoutdoors.com/go/prod...ag/altrec.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules