Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does Panther ever put the hard drive to sleep?

Does Panther ever put the hard drive to sleep?
dchiang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 09:15 AM

I remember my hard drive used to sleep, but I haven't heard it spin down or spin up in a long time...I'm guessing since Panther. What does the "Put hard drive to sleep when possible" option mean? How might I go about figuring out what keeps accessing my disk? Thanks.

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 01:54 PM

basically sleep when possible is that it spins down the hdd when there isn't a program accessing it. Try looking in activity monitor to see what processes are running and then you might find a background one that keeps it spinning

dchiang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 02:13 PM

It's hard to say, since a process might run but not hit the hard drive. I tried using fs_usage, but that didn't turn up anything interesting...

Do other Panther users observe hard drive spindown?

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2004, 02:43 PM

My drive is so quiet (and my surroundings so noisy) that I can't tell whether or not my hard drive is going to sleep. My best guess, however, is that it isn't, since there seems to be no lag when I wake up my computer from sleep.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Forum Links
Forum Rules