Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Here we go again, What to keep?

Here we go again, What to keep?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2004, 02:40 AM

Hi,

Have another dilemma, especially with the new powerbooks and ibooks coming help. I'll need your wonderful advice and opinions again.

I got a decent offer for my 17" 1ghz 1gb Powerbook that has applecare for another 2 years. I was doing some "soul searching" and came to this situation. I had an 12" Ibook 500 that I bought cheap a while ago. I opened it up for fun, and recently got some cheap upgrades. I really didn't use the ibook so I couldn't compare the power etc. But it is in fabulous condition.

Here's what I got. I got a 40gb 5400rpm hard drive for $60, and a DVD Burner (1x Speed though) for $75. I have put both of them in and am currently loaded a fresh install of Panther.

My question is this - should I just keep the ibook and then sell the powerbook. My total cost for the ibook with the upgrades and airport comes out to about $500. If I decided to sell the powerbook, I can come away with over $1500 that I was thinking about heading towards a g5 (or another powerbook? You suggest).

The one thing I love about the ibook is how durable it is and that I just wouldn't worry about it as much as the powerbook. And I was figuring that for my portable needs it would probably suit me fine.

So here are my needs:
Wireless internet
Office Applications
Watching a movie
Listening to Music
Burning Cd's
Burning DVD's!!!

By the way is that possible with this laptop now? I suppose I will be able to burn data dvd's, but will it be possible to backup movies and things?
Do you think the DVD burner will be useless?

I would also want to do a little photoshop and possible some light video editing on the go. Would the ibook hold up for these things? If yes, then I can get a g5 as my primary machine to do the heavier things at home.

Let me know what you think. Do you think I should just keep the powerbook?
Dilemma, Dilemma, Dilemma!!

Thanks!!

webb3201
Senior User
Apr 19, 2004, 01:33 PM

You should be able to do all of those things except the DVD burning (I don't think you can with those specs).

With the new machines released today, go ahead and sell yours if you got a good offer (before if depriciates). You can then sell your iBook and buy an interim machine that can burn DVDs, but will not be too expensive (Powerbook 12: rev A, Titanium 800-867). One of these machines will allow you to work until a G5 book is out. Plus you will have a bit of a nest egg saved for the new machine. The great thing about those interim machines, they will not depreciate too much more, so they will not pull too much out of your nestegg.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

reemas
Senior User
Apr 19, 2004, 01:47 PM

i want to wait for a g5 PB but would liek to get something interim. any suggestions? i really want to resell the notebook i buy. would anyone recommend the new 15" at a student price? would it have a huge price drop after the g5's come out?

thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules