Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8.6 RES-SWITCHING IS GONE!

8.6 RES-SWITCHING IS GONE!
spodie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 1999, 02:56 AM

There have been many heated discussions concerning the Mac OS 8.6 startup resolution-switching problem on this forum, and I have seen no specific workarounds. But after installing Mac OS 9 on a DIFFERENT hard drive and using it for a while, then going back to the drive with 8.6, the resolution no longer changes during startup! I am elated by this development, as the res-switching problem has fried one monitor and damaged another.

The only other thing I have done different is install ColorSync 2.6.1 into Mac OS 8.6 that I downloaded from Apple. I did this the same day I switched back to 8.6 because this version was newer than the one installed by 8.6. I configured ColorSync to my needs and never noticed whether or not the res-switching problem still occurred, as I seldom sit and watch the startup process anymore.

Mac OS 9 does not have the res-switching problem, and I wonder if some sort of cross-pollenation has occurred between it and 8.6. Could it be that Apple has quietly fixed this "normal" startup problem with ColorSync 2.6.1? I certainly wish I could bill Apple for the fried monitor and for the repairs on the other damaged one caused by this "normal" behavior. Is apple quietly saying "oops!"?

My setup is this: Yosemite G3/400 with 16 MB Rage 128 card and a 17-inch KDS VS-7 monitor. I also can connect an AppleVision 1710 (no AV) to this machine and have the same results - no res-switching - FINALLY!! I configured ColorSync with the "Multiple Scan Display" system profile, "Epson Stylus Color 740 Standard" RGB default, and the CMYK default as "ColorMatch 3.01 - SWOP Ink, Sheetfed, Coated". The preferred CMM is "Automatic". The only startup anomaly I notice is a slight gamma change during the process, which is needed anyway.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad the problem is gone in my 8.6. I bought OS 9 for the sole reason that it did not have the startup res-switching problem, now I am stuck with 8.6 called OS 9 with multi-user functionality and voice passwords. Too bad I can't return it since it's been opened! I hope this discussion will help those of you with the "normal" problem so you don't end up frying a monitor like me. Post whether or not this works for you...I'd love to hear about it!

Spodie

pwrmac7600
Oct 20, 1999, 11:36 AM

That is odd because i have been running 8.6 since day one of release and have not had this problem running it in a G3 /266 beige box.

------------------
"once you go mac you
never go back!"

Jason_Clement
Nov 7, 1999, 06:22 PM

I am running 8.6 on a B&W G3 and also on a new G4 450 and am also frustrated by the annoying rez switching...if you happen to not turn the monitor on before starting up...you are stuck with 640 x 480 with no other options. I was not aware of the possible damage though. The 21" Apple monitor on the G3 has recently developed a severe flickering problem... wonder if thats the problem.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 18, 1999, 04:52 AM

My experience on my Yosemite/350 was that before installing OpenGL on 8.6, it didn't switch, after installing OpenGL, it did. Installing OS 9 fixed the problem.

Uninstalling OpenGL didn't help. I assume that OpenGL installed new versions of the ATI drivers, or perhaps it changes the firmware of the ATI card, which maybe OS 9 updates again.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules