Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9 and MaxPower G3 PDS card - Help!

MacOS 9 and MaxPower G3 PDS card - Help!
Will675
Nov 17, 1999, 08:22 PM

Well, I tried the updated 1.0.3 MaxPower PDS extension, and the 7100 still hangs when the extension tries to load at start-up!

Any ideas???

Jeff

jpthomas
Nov 17, 1999, 09:31 PM

I have had the same problem. I have a 7100/80 w/88 megs..

I installed os 9 with the new "compatible" extensions, and my computer hangs up during startup.

It boots the Maxpower extension and shows the Newer splash, but when the desktop appears, only the startup disk shows up and the system hangs. The cursor still works but the system is hung up.

This is a "clean install" with no weird extensions or anything (except for the Newer one of course).

When I disable the extension the system boots up fine--albeit at 80 mhz.

Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem and have received no feedback from Newer's e-mail customer support. Sorry to hear that you have had the same problem.

Am frustrated by the lack of advice/docs from Newer.

Would love any suggestions......

Will675
Nov 18, 1999, 02:29 AM

Version 1.4b3 of the MaxPower extension seems to fix the prob.

Version 1.0.3 of the MaxPower PDS extension does not work...

I now have MacOS 9 running on a PM 7100/66 40 MB Ram. (MacOS 9 is taking only 12.7 MB ram! Multi-Users is on... seems to be working fine) the G3 PDS card is running at 247 MHz...

I hope this helps... I will try to answer any questions that I can as to how I got this thing to work... (whew!)

Details:
PM 7100/66 40 MB ram
MaxPower PDS G3/247MHz
MaxPower Extension v 1.4b3
MacOS 9
MS Word 6
Virex 5.9.1 (start-up and shutdown scans on)
Simeon 4.1.4 (e-mail client from hell! yup still works.. damnit)
CW 4.0v6

Jeff

jpthomas
Nov 18, 1999, 01:00 PM

My problems stated above are with the new 1.4b3 version of the driver.

My setup:
7100/80 88 megs 1gig 12x cd
External 6 meg HD
Jaz Drive
Newer G3 266 PDS
A variety of software (it was a clean install)

PrePressFL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 1999, 03:33 PM

From reading the posts it appears that maybe it has something to do with it being a 7100/80 rather than 7100/66.

We ahd a Newer card that would not work in a 8100/80 that the motherboard had been "speed bumped" to an 8100/100.

Also - what type of video cards are in use on the machines that work and that don't work.

BTW - have you tried altering the order in which the extension loads - try putting a space at the beginning of the name to force it to load first.

Will675
Nov 18, 1999, 05:11 PM

I'd double check to make sure that your Iomega sw is the latest...

Since it is starting up and mounting your int. drive, this may be the problem..

(I'm assumeing that the ext 6 isn't showing up on the desktop.. have you tried with a Jaz disk in and out of the Jaz? Have you tried starting up w/o any ext SCSI devices attached? What driver is on the 6?)

I'll check around my office and see if anyone else is seeing similar probs..

Jeff

hrubin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 1999, 05:47 PM

I've got the same problem with my PM7100/80 and Maxpowr G3 PDS 240/160Mhz card. I prudently tried the new beta driver with OS 8.6 prior to purchasing OS 9 and got the same freeze when the Newertech splash loads. I contacted Newertech tech service and their response was to thank me for my input and that their programmer was continuing to develop the beta program.

Flurk
Nov 19, 1999, 03:39 AM

The crashes occur because there is a conflict between the NewerTech extension (and also with Sonnet) and MacOS 9.0.
It introduces a scsi-bug.
Check it out.
You might be able to startup with virtual memory on, but when you open the scsi-probe control panel you don't see the drives, scanners or cd-rom. Only "BUS NOT TERMINATED"
Inserting a CD crashes my computer, disabling VM causes a crash at startup. Try disabling the CD-ROM extension and remove all external devices...
This is the first time we have big trouble: OS 8.1 and 8.5 or 8.6 was immediately compatible with my 8100/80/G3 Sonnet.

jpthomas
Nov 19, 1999, 01:42 PM

I contacted Newer as well. They gave me the same answer: thanks for the feedback we are working on it.

They did suggest turning off virtual memory, but that did not solve the problem.

Hopefully they will have another beta out soon!

[This message has been edited by jpthomas (edited 11-19-1999).]

Flurk
Nov 20, 1999, 04:53 AM

Today I got a new Extension from Sonnet which solved my problem. My computer boots and I have no more crashes when inserting a CD.
It is still a beta version, and I can't mount my scanner. (but I can mount external drives)
The "BUS NOT TERMINATED" problem which is reported by scsi-probe isn't solved.
I don't know if the MAXPowr Extension is an "INIT" or a "scri" but if I change the Crescendo extension into "scri" (with resedit - so that it loads before all other extensions) my computer crashes when the cd-rom driver is loaded. Perhaps you can check this out with the Maxpowr, it must be an INIT and make sure that it loads after the cD-ROM driver (rename it zMaxPowr)

Sonnet seems to have fixed most of the problems, Newer will do it within a few days I think.

Anyway, MacOS 9 is 5-8% slower than 8.6...

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Flurk (edited 11-20-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules