Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > recommended portable speakers?

recommended portable speakers?
ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2003, 08:06 PM

Can anyone recommend some portable speakers that I can easily pack with my powerbook?

They have to sound decent, but not too big.

Thanks!

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by ccrider:
Can anyone recommend some portable speakers that I can easily pack with my powerbook?

Thanks!
I have a set of the all in one Sony speakers that Apple sells on it's portable gear site in the Apple Store. Sound good, not great, but they are small and easy to pack.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

MarkyP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 12:06 AM

Thanks!
I listened to heaps of portable speakers to decide on mine. I started with battery powered ones up to 12V which were o.k. but did not pack enough bass. Eventually I went for the sony SRS Z-750 which need to be plugged into power. They were the best sounding by a long way and have surprising bass response. I am very happy with them and they go very well with my 17"albook. I really couldn't find anything smaller that sounded half way decent (including the Creative ones).

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2003, 09:14 AM

Thanks!
I just looked the ones I have are the SRS T77. They are on Apple's store site under speakers. As I said they sound good, not great, but for there size they are really good.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge

annezang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 09:33 AM

hi i'm looking for speakers too. but for a 12inch PB. and i think they either have to be USB or fit into the headphone jack. will the srs-t77 work for me? i don't want a big subwoofer, but i do want sound that is significantly better than the built in speakers.

thank you!!

Originally posted by mgehman:
I have a set of the all in one Sony speakers that Apple sells on it's portable gear site in the Apple Store. Sound good, not great, but they are small and easy to pack.

annezang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 10:03 AM

and also the SRS-Z750, will a Stereo mini jack input work with my 12" PB???

Originally posted by annezang:
hi i'm looking for speakers too. but for a 12inch PB. and i think they either have to be USB or fit into the headphone jack. will the srs-t77 work for me? i don't want a big subwoofer, but i do want sound that is significantly better than the built in speakers.

thank you!!

Biggerfoot
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 10:13 AM

Thanks!
If you do not care that much about high end audio quality, I found that a cheap pair of flat paneled, USB powered speakers work great for me. I paid about $12.00 for mine.

They are light, no need for a power supply, and since they are flat, they store easily. I was using some battery powered speakers but found them heavy.

I use mine for presentations and dvd movies in a classroom and am very happy.

MarkyP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 12:07 PM

and also the SRS-Z750, will a Stereo mini jack input work with my 12" PB???
Yep - Just plug them into your headphone socket .

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2003, 01:59 PM

thank you!!
Yep the sony's plug right into the headphone jack.
- Ernst Jan Plugge

iExcel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 02:37 PM

Biggerfoot, where did you buy your pair of flat paneled, USB powered speakers . . . I'd like to get that too.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 06:38 PM

I asked about portable speakers for my 12-in in late February (this was after a trip in the car; couldn't hear the DVD my daughters were watching in the back seat!).

A couple people made recommendations then -- I'd have to go back and find the posts, as I don't remember. One was a Sony, though.

I'll look later on today, as I still plan to get them for use in the car.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 06:45 PM

OK, I found the thread.

One person recommended:

speakers by creative:
http://www.americas.creative.com/pr...&maincategory=3

(Sorry -- don't know how to make it into a link -- would be grateful for the info!)

And the other ones recommended are the SOny SRS T55 and T77.

Still have to get mine...

iExcel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 11:15 PM

Just tested out the SOny T77 and it sounded awesome. Much better than speakers twice or three or more times its size that I've seen on sale at CompUSA. Definitely the one to get for your notebook!

Forum Links
Forum Rules