Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Method to switch sound in System Preferences

Method to switch sound in System Preferences
gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2004, 10:01 AM

I'm trying to find a way to quickly switch the sound input and output sources in System Preferences. My situation is that I'm receiving phone calls through my computer, for this I'd like to have sound coming through the speakers so that I can hear it ring, but would like to quickly switch to USB headphones when I answer. Ideally, I'd like to have an icon in the dock that would toggle USB on and off when clicked. What are some of the ways to achieve a quick switch of the sound source?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2004, 02:03 PM

Maybe SoundSource is what you're looking for. There are a couple of different shareware and freeware apps fitting your description over at VersionTracker. I used the keywords sound output.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

gbhgbh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2004, 02:26 PM

This is just what I was looking for. I thought I'd have to write an AppleScript or small applet.

Thanks,
Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules