Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Problem with wireless DHCP consistency

Problem with wireless DHCP consistency
gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 09:31 PM

I'm having trouble getting an IP address through DHCP from our university's wireless network. It's very inconsistent, sometimes my laptop connects fine, but then sometimes it does not get an address and I can't figure out why.

I'm running OS X.3.5 on a Powerbook G3 Lombard, with an Avaya Silver PC-card and the Sourceforge Wireless driver. On the times when it does not connect, when I select Network from System Preferences, it shows the wireless Ethernet Adapter (en1) with a yellow dot and the message; Ethernet Adapter (en1) currently active but has a self assigned IP address and may not be connected to the network. I then switch to WirelessConfig in System Preferences, and it shows that I'm receiving a signal from the network with the correct network name. I then go back to Network in System Preferences, click the Configure button, and try to Renew the DHCP Lease, but this does nothing. I've also tried restarting the computer but this does not work either. What else can I try?

BTW, sometimes I can go back to the exact same spot the next day, and get a connection fine, without changing any settings.

Thanks for any help,
Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules