Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How do speakers work?

How do speakers work?
itistoday
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 10:02 PM

I'm trying to understand specifically how a single speaker (like earphones) is able to produce so many various sounds seemingly at the same time. I'm able to hear a bass drum and high pitched strings at the same time! How does this thing make so many different sounds at once?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2005, 10:05 PM

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2005, 10:05 PM

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 10:06 PM

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2005, 10:06 PM

This is an excellent question! I think it must have something to do with vibration of carbon molecules of varying sizes in the speaker in response to electrical charge. I am not an expert though so I could be wrong.
-\
-/

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/speaker.htm
I read this a while back and it didn't answer my question if I remember correctly.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by sugar_coated:
This is an excellent question! I think it must have something to do with vibration of carbon molecules of varying sizes in the speaker in response to electrical charge. I am not an expert though so I could be wrong.
Gee willikers... I think you are right. You are very smart and obviously know much more then I do about the subject. All hale... sugar_coated... poster of the super sensitive.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2005, 10:19 PM

Lefterer Guy
Feb 6, 2005, 10:29 PM

No need to be so mean, Mitch.

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2005, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by itistoday:
I read this a while back and it didn't answer my question if I remember correctly.
Yeah, the problem is your question. Speakers are quite simple, and I assume basically everyone knows 'how' they work. What you really want to know about is the sound wave itself.

When we first learn about sound waves and speakers in school, we are generally not taught more than the very simple ideas of frequency, amplitude, and rarefaction. And to make it easier to understand, we are generally only taught with the example of a wave oscillating at one frequency at a time (often shown on an oscilloscope with simple frequency and amplitude dials).

Example:

Unfortunately, sound waves in real life are far more complex than these.

If you look at sound waves from music or normal speech, you will see they are very jagged (wiggly?) and variable. So, in the long oscillation of a 'bass' note you will get get many small fluctuations caused by shorter frequency waves hitting the microphone during the longer frequency wave.

All of these minute changes in pressure are picked up by the mic, converted into electrical impulses, then converted back in to air pressure waves by the speakers as described by the sites already mentioned.

Sorry, it would be a lot easier to explain on a blackboard, so you will just have to try to visualize what I'm talking about. Anyway, your question comes down how sound waves mix together to vibrate the mic (or your ear). The speakers just reproduce reproduce the vibrations. All the sound waves come pre-mixed.

Hope this helps a little (or at least gets you moving in the right direction).

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 02:57 AM

It's important to note that speakers with single drive units will always produce what's called phase intermodulation distortion. i.e. while the speaker is trying to produce a long wave it's forced to "get out of shape" by being asked to simultaneously produce the short waves.
Thus it's always better to have multiple drive units - woofer, squawker, tweeter. A theoretically perfect speaker system would have thousands of drive units, each dedicated to a particular frequency in the hearing range. Real-World systems are always a trade-off.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

OreoCookie
Feb 7, 2005, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
It's important to note that speakers with single drive units will always produce what's called phase intermodulation distortion. i.e. while the speaker is trying to produce a long wave it's forced to "get out of shape" by being asked to simultaneously produce the short waves.
Thus it's always better to have multiple drive units - woofer, squawker, tweeter. A theoretically perfect speaker system would have thousands of drive units, each dedicated to a particular frequency in the hearing range. Real-World systems are always a trade-off.
Nowadays, most speakers are either two-way or three-way speakers. Two-way speakers either have a mid-bass unit and a tweeter or require a subwoofer. I have a good two-way system (Wharfendale 70th Anniversary) and while they lack some bass (not entirely unintended, I wanna be a good neighbor), their clarity (cello, bass, sax, etc.) is excellent.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

kikkoman
Senior User
Feb 7, 2005, 09:35 AM

A speaker produces a single composite signal. It is your perception of the sound that separates them into individual insturments.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 09:43 AM

Gee willikers... I think you are right. You are very smart and obviously know much more then I do about the subject. All hale... sugar_coated... poster of the super sensitive.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 11:23 AM

seconded.

-t

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by MacmanX:
Yeah, the problem is your question. Speakers are quite simple, and I assume basically everyone knows 'how' they work. What you really want to know about is the sound wave itself.

When we first learn about sound waves and speakers in school, we are generally not taught more than the very simple ideas of frequency, amplitude, and rarefaction. And to make it easier to understand, we are generally only taught with the example of a wave oscillating at one frequency at a time (often shown on an oscilloscope with simple frequency and amplitude dials).

Example:

Unfortunately, sound waves in real life are far more complex than these.

If you look at sound waves from music or normal speech, you will see they are very jagged (wiggly?) and variable. So, in the long oscillation of a 'bass' note you will get get many small fluctuations caused by shorter frequency waves hitting the microphone during the longer frequency wave.

All of these minute changes in pressure are picked up by the mic, converted into electrical impulses, then converted back in to air pressure waves by the speakers as described by the sites already mentioned.

Sorry, it would be a lot easier to explain on a blackboard, so you will just have to try to visualize what I'm talking about. Anyway, your question comes down how sound waves mix together to vibrate the mic (or your ear). The speakers just reproduce reproduce the vibrations. All the sound waves come pre-mixed.

Hope this helps a little (or at least gets you moving in the right direction).

Cheers!
Thank you, this was really helpful

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2005, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
Thank you, this was really helpful
I'm really glad that made some sense to you. It's really easy for me to explain (quite in depth) when talking about it and chalking it up, but it's a bit of a struggle for me to write an explanation. It's not that I'm a poor writer. I'm just more of a visual thinker (and teacher). Anyway, let me know if have anymore questions.

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2005, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
You're right that it's a trade off, but not a terribly poor one given our sense of audio perception. Also, music is generally mixed to sound good on your average two or three drive unit. Don't forget that a music studio is designed to eliminate things like overtones that are so important in live musical sounds.

However, this is a good thing! When the recorded tones are played on your home system, the waves reflect off the surfaces in your room producing overtones specific to your listening space. Now, most of us don't have listening rooms, and I probably couldn't tell the difference if I did, but it does allow audio purists to get a close approximation to having the instruments playing 'live' in the room.

If you had a sound system with thousands of drive units (in order to play every little tone and overtone perfectly), you would then need a sound dead room to listen to them. Otherwise, your room would produce unwanted over-tones and wouldn't sound like it would live.

Quite frankly, most people (myself included) are happy enough as long as the music is reproduced clearly (no buzzes or distortion) . Anyway, it's far cheaper to build a few sound studios and mix the music for cheap speakers than it is for everyone to have sound rooms and thousand-drive units.

Anyway, you're perfectly right. I just wanted to explain why �ber-systems aren't necessary before the audio trolls show up!

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2005, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by MacmanX:
Anyway, you're perfectly right. I just wanted to explain why �ber-systems aren't necessary before the audio trolls show up!
Yeah, no worries. I was just backing up your wave explanation with a little about why there's usually more than one driver.

And hey, what kind of crappy studio doesn't mix to also sound good on single-drive units?!?
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2005, 08:38 AM

Gee willikers... I think you are right. You are very smart and obviously know much more then I do about the subject. All hail... sugar_coated... poster of the super sensitive.

By the way, sarcasm is the cheapest form of humor!
-\
-/

Forum Links
Forum Rules