Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple 30" vs. Dell 24"

Apple 30" vs. Dell 24" (Page 2)
just a poster
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 08:05 AM

This comparison has been beaten to death on lots of forums.

Here's one from a PC centric-site (one of my personal favs, actually)

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....5&page=1&pp=20

Lots of knowledgable forks there, and guess what they concluded? You get what you pay for.

I'm not going to knock the DELL monitor cause it's really nice for a DELL, I just don't want to sit back and watch a bunch of DELL fanboys try to paint it like the 2005FPW is the same screen as the Apple Cinema display and Apple is just gouging consumers because of industrial design superiority. Cause that's not the case at all.

If you're switching from a CRT, the DELL flatscreen will look like the shiznit. Maybe when I'm in the market for a super large display next year I'll look at the Sony's or something, but until then it's only the Apple LCD displays for me.

hedgehogfrenzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 10:16 AM

Well, the specs do say they have the same dot pich, just for the record.

That being said, I am hardly a "Dell Fanboy." Auctually, I hate Dell. Michael Dell is a moron who said that his company would close before they used anything other than an Intel chip. Hows that for limined vision?

And with that being said, all those other posts talk about is "build quality?" I live my life in front of a computer, and I barley touch my LCDs. Why would I just randomly readjust them? This backlighting problem is suposedly gone with the new Dell revision. All companies have bad product releases sometimes...the iBook was a good example.

If I get these Dells and they suck, I can always send them back. I can aways get one LCD for what I paid for 2. But, the one I have used totally rocked. And I was suprised at that they rocked.

Everyone argues that the Apples look cooler, and I can't deny that. Everytime I walk into the Apple Store I'm reminded that.

IDK, I fell like we'er beating a dead horse....but pass me the bat...here I go again.
( Last edited by hedgehogfrenzy; Feb 27, 2005 at 01:44 PM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by just a poster:
If you're switching from a CRT, the DELL flatscreen will look like the shiznit. Maybe when I'm in the market for a super large display next year I'll look at the Sony's or something, but until then it's only the Apple LCD displays for me.
You mean a pink-tinted, yellow-stained Apple 23" LCD?

Apple has some serious problems with their 23" panels. As has been mentioned several times, take a look at Apple's discussion groups. I've gone to the Apple stores myself and I can verify that (at least at the two stores I went to) ALL the 23" cinemas they had on display had the most obvious pink tint and uneven backlighting I've ever seen on an LCD panel. The 20"'s and the 30"'s were OK, but the 23"'s looked like sh*t.

I'm far from being a Dell fanboy, either. But I will say that I have two 20.1" 2001FPs connected to my G5... and no pink tint.

mdejongd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 02:08 PM

Dell, Hell, I'm telling you when I buy and set up this new HP, you will be impressed, I will take a picture of my setup when done. Right now I use an Apple 21" Studio display Blue and White and a 19" Lacie. I will rid of these good monitors and only need this HP 23 to connect my 2 computers, PS 2 and Nintendo Cube all at the same time. From what I read this HP has better overall specs compared to even the Apple 23 I sell. Too much pink in the Apple 23, can be color synced, but HP has more to it for the money. For once HP has something. Dell, well, they are not in the game as far as I'm concerned.

Malthaeus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by ScottHaneda:
I don't think this is the case at all, look at the specs:
Apple 170� horizontal;170� vertical

Dell
Image Max H-View Angle: �88�
Image Max V-View Angle: �88�

Thats a huge difference, If I get color shifts from nodding my head, that would be a bummer. I need to get to a store and see these in person.
But isn't �88� = 176� total viewing area?

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by mdejongd:
Without a doubt, the monitor I am choosing is the new HP 23". It can be set a landscape or portrait mode. It has a multitude of connections for your computer/DVD player/game console.
... so does the Dell.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2005, 04:12 PM

This comparison has been beaten to death on lots of forums.

Here's one from a PC centric-site (one of my personal favs, actually)

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....5&page=1&pp=20

Lots of knowledgable forks there, and guess what they concluded? You get what you pay for.

I'm not going to knock the DELL monitor cause it's really nice for a DELL, I just don't want to sit back and watch a bunch of DELL fanboys try to paint it like the 2005FPW is the same screen as the Apple Cinema display and Apple is just gouging consumers because of industrial design superiority. Cause that's not the case at all.

Sucker!

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by ScottHaneda:
I don't think this is the case at all, look at the specs:
Apple 170� horizontal;170� vertical

Dell
Image Max H-View Angle: �88�
Image Max V-View Angle: �88�

Thats a huge difference, If I get color shifts from nodding my head, that would be a bummer. I need to get to a store and see these in person.
LOL. Different way to report the same spec. 2 x 88 = 176.

greggomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
i just got the dell 2005fpw and its really nice. plus i got it for 550 dollars. i would have loved to get the apple but i could not turn down that price. plus the vga+dvi hookups come in such handy. i love switching between counterstrike source and my powermac with a click of a button.
How did you get the Dell for $550? And was that the 20" or the 24", I assume the 20".

Also, how much does the 24" cost and how do you go about getting it on a deal....

Thanks,

Greg

osxisfun
Feb 27, 2005, 04:25 PM

i got mine for $505 + tax.

the way to do it is to do one of the following:

go here often or set up a reminder there:

http://dealmac.com/headlines.html <---what i did.

i have heard ben's bargains is good tooo.

or go to bloglines.com and type in dell coupons..

dell constantly has special time expiring coupons and specials...

johnklimeck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 05:00 PM

Just bought the Apple 20" a few days ago, absolutely love it.

I was in the market many months ago, went shopping for other brands, here's the deal they (other pc type) brands absolutely sucked, looked stretched out, did not go past 1280 x 800 rez and many were not actually a digital DVI connection.

the Apple 20"is 1680 x 1050 and looks beautiful.

I did a job months back where we rolled out 30-40 G5's and 2 (two) 23" Apple Displays on each desk.

That was the standard equipment for all these Final Cut Pro setups

Worked on my workstation with the same setup and was convinced, and said once again Apple has the superior quality and I am not getting some substandard hack substitute display.

And they look absolutely beautiful and sleek.

I spent the extra money because I want to see the best, love it and I am doing pro audio music and want see all my mixes , faders, etc, and see them well.

later,

jk
( Last edited by johnklimeck; Feb 28, 2005 at 12:10 AM. )

osxisfun
Feb 27, 2005, 05:19 PM

Don't get me wrong because i am fanboy applebot #a1 but the dells and hps(?) talked about do 1680 x 1050 and have a true dvi.

But i agree. there seems to be 2 worlds for pc lcds.. cheap ass and high end...

any trip to frys will show us that...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
Don't get me wrong because i am fanboy applebot #a1 but the dells and hps(?) talked about do 1680 x 1050 and have a true dvi.
Stop trying to shatter their illusions. Not even seeing them side by side will be able to convince some that the Apple, Dell and HP displays have the same resolution.

just a poster
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Link:
How can the apple 20" have a higher DPI/lower dot pitch rating when it's the same size as the dell?
Apple has a higher DPI because it is a 20" monitor and the DELL 2001FP is a 20.1 inch monitor. Both the monitor resolutions are 1680x1050.

The reason the Apple Cinema Display exhibits none of the screen door effects of the cheaper DELL monitor is because
1- its backlight doesn't bleed
2- despite having a higher DPI, each LCD pixel on the Apple display is larger (0.258mm http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html ) vs. DELL's 0.255mm (http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...p/EN/specs.htm ).

Each LCD pixel on the DELL has a bare black area around it (>0.0015mm on all sides) contributing to the "screen door" effect.

You get what you pay for, and while the DELL display may seem like a bargain at $510 shipped, at $750 retail DELL is probably gouging consumers a lot more than Apple who is selling a much higher quality display at $999.

But don't let the facts get in the way of some claims on the net that the display is "one and identical" because they originate from the same factory. After all, most people can't tell the difference from a Mercedes C-class and SLR McLaren, right?

nagromme
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 11:42 PM

FYI, +/- 88 degrees is 176 degrees. Slightly BETTER than 170.
nagromme

hedgehogfrenzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Just a Poster:
2- despite having a higher DPI, each LCD pixel on the Apple display is larger (0.258mm http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html ) vs. DELL's 0.255mm (http://support.dell.com/support/edo...fp/EN/specs.htm ).

You gave a link to the wrong product. We have been talking about the Dell 2005FPW. That monitor has the same dot pitch as the Mac and a 12ms responce time.

I think that the Dell monitor is less expensive on alot of levels is because they move more of them. You know that both Apple and Dell are probably making those monitors for $350 or less. Dell can afford to sell them for cheaper because they do alot more volume.

Just a thought.
( Last edited by hedgehogfrenzy; Feb 28, 2005 at 12:04 AM. )

CincyGamer
Feb 28, 2005, 04:34 AM

my 2 month old HP 17" LCD crapped out at work. So, dont know if I'd buy a HP monitor..
So what if the Dell has more connectors.. for 1500 can get a Widescreen TV for living room which is far better than any desktop LCD Xbox on a big 50"+ is awesome.

The dell is $500 cheaper, but what about resale? You get what you pay for.. I am very very happy with my 2 year old 1 GHZ TiBook. The screen is so beautiful.. People tell me how awesome WoW looks and plays on it. Apple purposely has 100 dpi on purpose if you read their web page they mention this because it s the best balance. The text has to be readable. Do the math.. screen does say 85 hertz so does 4/1000 for 12ms vs 16ms really matter? If you are playing Doom3 will get only 15-60 fps anyways..

Dell does not have a laptop with a screen as good as the apple's. I have just looked at them at the mall. I wasnt impressed by the Dell offerings.. They are much cheaper, but how often do you buy a 24" lcd screen.. i'd rather spend my money on other things.

Analogy: You can have 2 Chevrolet Cavaliers for $30K or can have a Mazda RX8 for $30k.

OreoCookie
Feb 28, 2005, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
The Apple 20" is still overpiced in the States, by at least $200. If it was actually $200 better than competing products fine, but it isn't. Hell, I can get TWO Dell 20" displays for the price of one Apple. The Dell's even come with DVI and Analog inputs, and can do PIP. Plus you have your choice of wide aspect or not.

If you have money to burn, I envy you. Go buy Apple displays that match your tower or PowerBook, but if money is an issue - you'd be a fool to buy Apple flats right now.
Well, apparently, judging from the list of tested LCDs, the pricing wasn't too bad. It can't compete with low-priced LCDs offered by discounters, but (I don't know about Dell) usually, they offer far less quality and the LCDs used in Apple's screens are usually among the best in tests.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2005, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by ///Milien:
Get the 30" ACD. I did not only for the size, but the overall beauty of the display.

Awesome setup! Your choice of desktop picture really brings home your point about "overall beauty of the display".

OreoCookie
Feb 28, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by hedgehogfrenzy:
You gave a link to the wrong product. We have been talking about the Dell 2005FPW. That monitor has the same dot pitch as the Mac and a 12ms responce time.

I think that the Dell monitor is less expensive on alot of levels is because they move more of them. You know that both Apple and Dell are probably making those monitors for $350 or less. Dell can afford to sell them for cheaper because they do alot more volume.

Just a thought.
Yes and no.
They also just cook with water and the lower price comes from several factors in addition to volume: lower quality LCD, lower quality backlight and lower quality `enclosure'.

Look at cheap notebooks. Same, same. I don't know about Apple's margins, but usually higher quality

greggomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 12:46 PM

So maybe I'm just not too bright... or maybe the Dell site is just as confusing to navigate as any site I've ever seen. But I for the life of me can't find the price of the 24 " Dell. Can anyone else enlighten me?

Thanks,

Greg

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 12:49 PM

^ I believe it'll be $1,199. You're problem comes b/c it doesn't go on sale until March 1st (or 2nd).
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 12:52 PM

Apple has a higher DPI because it is a 20" monitor and the DELL 2001FP is a 20.1 inch monitor. Both the monitor resolutions are 1680x1050.
But don't let the facts get in the way of some claims on the net that the display is "one and identical" because they originate from the same factory. After all, most people can't tell the difference from a Mercedes C-class and SLR McLaren, right?
Well.. the "Facts" are that we are talking about the 2005FPW display, which is the newer widescreen model. The 2001 is older, standard 4:3 aspect.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by CincyGamer:
I am very very happy with my 2 year old 1 GHZ TiBook. The screen is so beautiful..
If you are happy with the screen on a 1GHz TiBook you would be happy with about anything. That display is ancient compared to what is shipping on today's notebooks.

I work in CPG marketing, where the battle cry is "Perception Above All Else". The posters in these MacNN forums are testament to that!

Elvis

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
Yes and no.
They also just cook with water and the lower price comes from several factors in addition to volume: lower quality LCD, lower quality backlight and lower quality `enclosure'.

Look at cheap notebooks. Same, same. I don't know about Apple's margins, but usually higher quality
You are just wrong here. The LCDs are both from LG. And until you have actually seen the Dell display, touched it, etc how can you comment on the "lower quality backlight" and "enclosure"? Do you even know what you are talking about? I'm not a Dell "fanboy" (does that even exist?) but I like many rational consumers like to get as much possible for my $$$ and the Dell monitor is as of high quality, and has more functionality, compared to the Apple. The Apple LCD line is a rip-off and those purchasing them are doing so out of blind brand loyalty. Apple can only ride these fumes for so long.

greggomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
^ I believe it'll be $1,199. You're problem comes b/c it doesn't go on sale until March 1st (or 2nd).
So two more quick questions... the 20 inch has a component input.... does that mean we can watch or preview HD content on it, even though it's resolution is just sub that or true HD? Or would I need the 24" for that?

Also, seems like I read that the 20 originally had some problems with the backlight that have been fixed... can anyone offer any more details on how well they've been fixed, and how to makre sure you get a good one, I assume just ordering a new one assures the fix is implemented but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,

Greg

typ993
Feb 28, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by greggomer:
So maybe I'm just not too bright... or maybe the Dell site is just as confusing to navigate as any site I've ever seen. But I for the life of me can't find the price of the 24 " Dell. Can anyone else enlighten me?
I think this goes on sale sometime in March.

mytdave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 04:04 PM

Okay, I've been all over Dell's web site, and I do not see any 24" wide-aspect LCD monitor. Am I missing something? Some obscure link? They do have a 20" screen, not a 24" one. The 2005FPW is defintely a 20" screen:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...=&refurbished=

The price (true to Dell's pathetic web site) also varies from $561 to $749 depending on when you click, where you click, if you click standing on your head or click while doing jumping jacks.

The viewing angle spec does not look at all impressive, and yes, that actually matters a lot. I see no indication or mention of media card reader slots, nor any other compelling feature to choose this display over the Apple 20" or any other company's 20" display.

I do appreciate the multiple inputs (actually very handy) but many other vendors offer the same. Apple would do well to add multiple input options even though it would disturb their "precious single cable concept."

As for quality, my experince with Dell has been such that I would not touch them with a 20' pole. Cheap, cheap crap. The only exception I can concede is with their enterprise level servers... those are pretty good.

Dell will always offer cheap crap for prices less than Apple. If you compare Apple displays with other vendors, you will find Apple's prices are very competitive, and their quality unsurpassed.

This Dell monitor may be signaling an impending price drop in LCD panels, so keep an eye out for possible price drops from Apple and other vendors (hoping).
"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

jfobart
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2005, 04:29 PM

The 24" LCD isn't out till 3/1- ok, tomorrow.

Anyways, you can find info HERE

MrGoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by mytdave:
Okay, I've been all over Dell's web site, and I do not see any 24" wide-aspect LCD monitor. Am I missing something? Some obscure link? They do have a 20" screen, not a 24" one. The 2005FPW is defintely a 20" screen:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...=&refurbished=

The price (true to Dell's pathetic web site) also varies from $561 to $749 depending on when you click, where you click, if you click standing on your head or click while doing jumping jacks.

The viewing angle spec does not look at all impressive, and yes, that actually matters a lot. I see no indication or mention of media card reader slots, nor any other compelling feature to choose this display over the Apple 20" or any other company's 20" display.

I do appreciate the multiple inputs (actually very handy) but many other vendors offer the same. Apple would do well to add multiple input options even though it would disturb their "precious single cable concept."

As for quality, my experince with Dell has been such that I would not touch them with a 20' pole. Cheap, cheap crap. The only exception I can concede is with their enterprise level servers... those are pretty good.

Dell will always offer cheap crap for prices less than Apple. If you compare Apple displays with other vendors, you will find Apple's prices are very competitive, and their quality unsurpassed.

This Dell monitor may be signaling an impending price drop in LCD panels, so keep an eye out for possible price drops from Apple and other vendors (hoping).
Apple and Quality? Hmm.. Perhaps you should read all the threads about the pink hue on ACDs and all the threads about the Mac Mini's not outputing VESA industry standard VGA signal voltage and DVI standard refresh rate frequency. Then come back here and tell me about their unsurpassed quality as you put it. Get your head out of a hole and realize that Apple quality claims are nothing but a rumor/myth/marketing bs. They are no better or no worse than Dell.. In my personal experience I would aruge that they might even be worse than Dell.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 05:01 PM

I don't know about worse than Dell. I do agree that these monitors are by no means cheap...and if they were silver instead of black most Apple users wouldn't even think twice about it. I like the Dell monitor and it's probably going to be my next display....sorry Apple.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tastethepain
Feb 28, 2005, 06:14 PM

Son of a gun. Why can't it be 3/1 already? I want that Dell 24" LCD.

drool drool drool.
MBP / 3gig memory / 200gb hard drive / Superdrive

Mac Pro 4x2.66 cores / 8gb memory / ATI 256mb vid / storage---always increasing. :D

osxisfun
Feb 28, 2005, 06:33 PM

tastethepain, be sure to see my hints on dell coupons.. its conceivable that with coupons the price will get close to 1k..

superjonbot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 11:29 PM

1 1/2 hours till 3/1! I wanna see the page already.... it better be set to some web server's clock, cuz if that info ain't there at 12:01 AM. I'm gonna... gonnaa... well.... go to sleep I guess. oh...and for the dell h8rz out there preaching on mac monitors, last macworld I read even said the mac monitors were midrange in quality. also I can definately put a use to all the inputs the dell has... one to my mac, one to my pc, composite to the cable box, and svhs to my camcorder for Picture in picture goodness!!! now where's those coupons?!? anyychance finding them at 12:02 this morning?

OreoCookie
Mar 1, 2005, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by elvis2000:
You are just wrong here. The LCDs are both from LG. And until you have actually seen the Dell display, touched it, etc how can you comment on the "lower quality backlight" and "enclosure"? Do you even know what you are talking about? I'm not a Dell "fanboy" (does that even exist?) but I like many rational consumers like to get as much possible for my $$$ and the Dell monitor is as of high quality, and has more functionality, compared to the Apple. The Apple LCD line is a rip-off and those purchasing them are doing so out of blind brand loyalty. Apple can only ride these fumes for so long.
I haven't seen Dell (and I said so), but I have seen many other cheap brands offered here in Germany. And often those discounter products use the same electronics or similar electronics, but lack in several other aspects. Examples of this in Europe are Medion. I'm aware that Medion doesn't use Medion panels (as Dell doesn't use Dell panels), but there are still differences in terms of the actual type of panel, if they have compensation foils (and hence require a stronger backlight), etc.

The differences in technical specs (different reaction times, etc.) do indeed suggest that Apple and Dell use different panels (do a search for "just a poster", he posted some specs which indicate that the sizes are actually different).

Those small differences add up. You can see the same phenomenon when you buy a motherboard for a pc. Some companies save on every capacitor -- and hence they can offer it cheaper. Ditto for psus, literally every piece of electronics you can buy nowadays. Apple Displays usually offer better picture quality (in every test I have seen they held up pretty well against competition), although some other companies are also able to produce high-quality LCDs (e. g. Eizo).

Seeing how you can buy a similar-sized IBM-Display for 20 % more (just to give one example), I don't see how this is a rip off.

hedgehogfrenzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 09:58 AM

Well, my Dell 2005fpws will be here today. I'll put them side by side and let you know what I think. Of couse, eacht to his own.....

- David

greggomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 12:11 PM

Anyone seen any good deals or coupons on the new 24" unit?

Greg

osxisfun
Mar 1, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by hedgehogfrenzy:
Well, my Dell 2005fpws will be here today. I'll put them side by side and let you know what I think. Of couse, eacht to his own.....

- David
Supposedly mine will be here today too but i have to run around town so i will prob. miss it...

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
I haven't seen Dell (and I said so), but I have seen many other cheap brands offered here in Germany. And often those discounter products use the same electronics or similar electronics, but lack in several other aspects.
So until you have actually seen it...

MrGoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 01:45 PM

Anyone seen any good deals or coupons on the new 24" unit?

Greg

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...ctlisting.aspx

I think $1079 would be considered a great price for a 24" 16x10 LCD monitor.

greggomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by MrGoo:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...ctlisting.aspx

I think $1079 would be considered a great price for a 24" 16x10 LCD monitor.
Oh I agree, I was just wondering if there was a $50 off coupon to go with that....

Any thoughts on Two 20" ones for editing video in Final Cut Pro vs one 24"

Thanks,

Greg

osxisfun
Mar 1, 2005, 03:42 PM

first thoughts after 10 minutes:

(remember i do not play games or watch dvds on my computer so i did not look at this monitor in that way.)

Its BRIIIIIIGHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

I ran calibrate and tried some 3rd party brightness and its still too bright. any help?

the bezel likes fingerprints so if you are anal. where gloves.

the LCD DOES look not as good as my pinstripe 20" lcd the pixels seem a little too spread out.

its bright. i am going to get a headache i just know it.

the inputs are great i think. i will try with my pc later.

its really small. i don't know what happened but 20 lcds (both new apple and the dell) seem TINY. (lack of think bezel)

I plugged it in and it worked. a 2005fpw color profile showed up in displays...

I have not tried portrait mode.

Put my terminal and omniweb and console on the dell and its working exactly how i hope.

works with virutal desktops.. (not that we thought it would not)

driving it off my agp. no speed tests i do not do anything that need graphics speed.

Am I happy?

Yes. I would give it a B with a possiblity to move up.

But ...... $550 is the most i would spend on this monitor had i seen it in person... i go more rez and letterbox than the samsung i was going to buy so i am happy about that...

verdict: FOR ME... it is worth $550 as a secondary monitor....If i were going to buy a main monitor i would not buy this one, only because i like my apple 20" more as the whole pixel thing just seems tighter...

more later...

OldCodger73
Mar 1, 2005, 04:35 PM

As has been pointed out the Dell 24" is now listed on their website. It shows a 1 � 2 shipping time. So who is going to be first on the block with one of these FPDs?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 04:45 PM

How did you get the Dell for $550? And was that the 20" or the 24", I assume the 20".

Also, how much does the 24" cost and how do you go about getting it on a deal....

Thanks,

Greg
dell just got done with a deal for "small business owners" lol i guess just having a website classifies me as a business because i'm anything but. but they gave it to me anyway. but these things are always going on sale.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

osxisfun
Mar 1, 2005, 08:46 PM

OK. it just got bumped to a B+.

I hooked up my PC to it and can switch by clicking a button...

so far its working very well in this dual environment.

too cool.

if i can turn down the brightness i will give it an A-

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
OK. it just got bumped to a B+.

I hooked up my PC to it and can switch by clicking a button...

so far its working very well in this dual environment.

too cool.

if i can turn down the brightness i will give it an A-
It should be easy to do via, oh my gosh, the brightness control. Might have to go into the monitors on-screen display/menu to get to the brightness control.

osxisfun
Mar 1, 2005, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
It should be easy to do via, oh my gosh, the brightness control. Might have to go into the monitors on-screen display/menu to get to the brightness control.
Nope.

The apple control panel dims them ALL and the built in hardware dell control dims it _barely anything at all_

I also turned my gamma WAY up and its still too bright...

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2005, 09:57 PM

i have a dell 2001fp and i dont like it. Screen door and backlighting are no fun at all.

i won't be buying another dell LCD.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

bigg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2005, 05:10 AM

ok

i got mine today

here are some pics

http://offsite.willo.net/2405/2405.html

gw

scribbler74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2005, 06:43 AM

For anyone interested, I just ordered Dell's new 24inch display yesterday... should get here in a week, and I'll post my own review...

The price is actually even cheaper than the advertised... $1049...

For those of us who don't have tons of cash falling out of our pockets, this offers i'm hoping an excellent alternative to the Apple Displays...

After some research, I found that my 12" PBK 1.5 video card is supported, which of course was a concern...

My brother a graphic artist and a good friend, who does computer animation, will no doubt throw in their two cents as well...

Clearly, one can't expect someone who has already purchased an Apple Display at a premium price to just concede that there might be an equal or better product out there at a better price... Time will tell...

Forum Links
Forum Rules