Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express selective access and monitoring question

Airport Express selective access and monitoring question
gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2005, 04:24 AM

Is there a way to selectively choose which computers can connect to the Airport Express--as a security measure? Also, how can you monitor which computers are connected to it?

larkost
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 01:13 PM

The proper way of doing it is to turn on WEP or WPA (preferably WPA) and then only give out the password to those who should have it. A more advanced way would be to setup WPA Enterprise with a Radius server and give each valid user their own passwords, but that is a little outside what most people want (the Airport Base Stations are capable of it).

The bad way of doing it is to use the airport admin software and go to "Access Control". Notice: this is rather easy for a determined hacker to bypass, WPA is the only real security.

gbhgbh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2005, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by larkost:
The proper way of doing it is to turn on WEP or WPA [...]
The bad way of doing it is to use the airport admin software and go to "Access Control"... \
I'm aware of that, unfortunately one of the computers that needs access isn't able to use WEP or WPA, so my best option seems to be to limit access to specific machines and monitor who's associating with the network. I didn't realize that the Airport ID was the MAC address. Now that I've got that setup, are there ways to monitor what computers are in range of the network and who's accessing it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules