Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Another Zip250 Problem

Another Zip250 Problem
darkprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2001, 01:32 AM

I have a Zip250 drive that I use with my iMac SE. I have been using the Zip250 for about 12 months. I have been using the iMac for about 14 months. I have had no problems with the Zip250 and few problems with the iMac during that time.

Today when I was backing up some data on the Zip250, the drive stopped in the middle of the backup. In addition, I got an error message telling me that error type 110 had occurred. I couldn't make the error message go away, so I eventually turned off and restarted the iMac. I also used an unbent paperclip to get the disk out of the Zip250.

I cannot get the iMac to recognize any Zip disks. When I insert a disk into the Zip250, it make sounds like it is going to start properly, the green light on the Zip250 goes on, but then it quits and the green light goes out.

I checked all of my connections. No results. I reinstalled the software that came with the Zip250. No results. I downloaded and installed the current software from the Iomega website. No results. I rebuilt the desktop. No results.

The Iomega website does not seem to have anything useful for this problem. Does anyone know what is wrong with my Zip250, and how I can get it to work again?

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2001, 02:14 AM

Since you've had no problems with the Zip for a year, suspect a couple of things:

Have you checked your Zip disks lately to determine their Disk Life and Format Life - it's possible one or more of
your disks has used up the spare pool of blocks built into each disk to replace bad blocks when they occur.

-110 indicates a memory allocation error - this could probably be corrected very quickly using TechTool Pro
or DiskWarrior - you don't say what OS you're using.

If you don't have either of these, rebuild the desktop using TechTool 1.2.1 available free at:
www.versiontracker.com

Other than this, someone with more extensive knowledge will have to help you.

Let us know what happens.

WDL

[This message has been edited by WDL (edited 01-21-2001).]

darkprince  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2001, 11:49 PM

WDL:

Thank you for your reply.

1. I haven't been good about checking the Disk Life and Format Life, but I do remember looking about two months ago at the disk that was in the Zip250 when I first had trouble with it. As I recall, it had about 99% of its life left. The problem, however, probably goes beyond the disks. I have eight disks (some of which have been in use for about one week), and I can't get the Zip250 to work with any of them.

2. I am using TechTool Pro 3.0.2. I tried using it, but it didn't recognize the Zip250, so I couldn't ask it to test or repair the Zip250. I don't see anything in the TechTool manual that tells me how to work with a Zip drive. Is there something that I'm overlooking?

3. I am using OS 9.0.4.

4. I used TechTool's check/repair desktop function. Should I have used the desktop delete function?

Any further suggestions that you may have will be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by darkprince (edited 01-21-2001).]

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2001, 01:01 AM

darkprince: (the problem appears to be in your system/hard drive - not the Zip - fortunately you have TTP
a majority of users don't have ANY disk utility):

If I was in your position, this is what I would do:

1. Start up from the OS Install CD - run Disk First Aid from there - at least 3 times. Why? Because often it will not report a problem on the first run - or - it will report a problem and say it is unable to fix it. However, after running
it a few more times - PRESTO! it does.

2. Startup from the TTP 3.0.2 CD - open TTP from the CD - for your purposes here, don't use the
Multi Tester window on the right - use the Navigation window on the left - run the following tests in the
menu by double clicking on each when the previous one finishes - always selecting "validating and repair"
where you're given that choice:

PRAM
Volume Structure
Drives
System Files
File Scan
File Structure
Finder Info
Directory Maintenance
Desktop - click on Check/Repair button.

After you've run these and done any repairs - shut down - wait a few seconds for the memory to completely
clear - start up - eject the TTP CD - now see how things operate.

Let us know what happens.

WDL

vivaldi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2001, 12:41 PM

have you ever tried to mount your zip with SCSIProbe?

all my big problems with HD/discs i solved with silverlining from lacie

vivaldi

Jeep2000
Jan 23, 2001, 04:19 PM

Did you try deleting the Iomega Driver preferences?

darkprince  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2001, 12:53 AM

WDL, vivaldi, Jeep2000,

I followed WDL's instructions last night. After I was done, I turned off the iMac, let it sit for a while, and then restarted it. The iMac still wouldn't recognize the Zip250. I was not happy.

Today I started the iMac up and tried the Zip 250, but it still would not recognize it. I tossed the preferences. It occurred to me that maybe the USB port I was using was goofed up, so I switched to another one. For good measure, I disconnected and reconnected the power cords. The Zip250 worked! I reconnected the Zip250 to the port it was originally using. It still worked!

I'm not sure what specific actions solved the problem. The first thing that I checked was the power and USB cords. The only thing that I hadn't done before today was toss the preferences. That occurred to me early on in this process, but I did not do it. I probably should have.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

[This message has been edited by darkprince (edited 01-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by darkprince (edited 01-24-2001).]

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2001, 09:19 AM

Darkprince:

You just posted the clue to your problem(s).

Since the Zip worked after essentially an unplug/replug - this indicates a frequently
reported conflict between the Iomega USB software and the USB software Apple has
put into the OS.

To correct this (otherwise you will frequently find you have to unplug/replug) - open the
Extensions folder - inside the System folder - on each Iomega USB extension, click once on the
name and insert one space before the start of the name. This makes the Iomega USB extensions
jump to the head of the line at startup, so that they're recognized before the Apple USB software
can take control.

Shut all windows - quit all apps - shut down and wait a few seconds for the memory to completely
clear - now stasrt up and your Zip should work fine, including full use of the Iomega Tools.

Sorry I didn't spot that from your original post - but that particular conflict normally shows up
at startup - yours was showing up later.

Would like to hear how you make out. By the way, I would put the keyboard/mouse back into
USB port #1 (upper) and everything else into port #2.

WDL

darkprince  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2001, 11:49 PM

WDL,

I decided to hold off on the suggestions that you included in your 01/25/01 comments. I would like to see if I just have a preferences problem before moving on to making the changes you suggested.

My Zip250 worked fine until today. This morning I turned on the iMac, did some work and then turned on the Zip250. It started up and let me save some data. I turned it off. Later in the day I tried to start the Zip250 again, but it wouldn't start. I tossed the Iomega prefences and restarted the iMac. Then I turned on the Zip250. It worked.

I think that I am going to wait a few days to see if I have more trouble with the Zip250 before using your suggestions.

By the way, why should I use the USB port as you suggested? I running my Zip250 off the top USB port, my hub off the bottom USB port, and my keyborad off the hub.

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2001, 01:44 AM

People far more knowledgeable about computers than I - including Apple - recommend the
keyboard/mouse be used in USB port #1 and everything else in port #2.

That's good enough for me.

WDL

Forum Links
Forum Rules