Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Play Order "logic" for Expanium?

Play Order "logic" for Expanium?
angevine41
Oct 9, 2000, 07:10 PM

The Philips Expanium--$200 at Suckit City--is quite the little trick for playing mp3 CDs, but the order of play defies logic. Or at least, mine.

I didn't check order very closely when burning (OEM Toast 4.1.1, Que 4x Fire), but there's only a passing likeness between the play order that shows on your computer screen when you open CD w/ CD-Rom, and what comes out on player.

I've been prowling forums, looking for answers. (Philips site is no help.) Someone in another forum said he had luck with numbering tracks 01, 02, 03, etc., all the way through, no folders.

Mostly, of course, I'm using the thing for shuffle play in the car, but with stuff like your comedy collection, you might want to go DIRECTLY to George Carlin, or Richard Pryor, and skip Cosby for the time being.

Has anyone else tried the 01, 02, 03 strategy? Or another?

Affen
Oct 10, 2000, 12:36 PM

Accoring to Philips, it plays files in alphanumeric order. For example, if you have 3 folders A, B, and C and A1 and A2 within A, the order would be A1, A2, B, C.

Is this not what you get?

screamingFit
Oct 10, 2000, 12:41 PM

I bought the player last weekend and have had some time to play with it. The only success I've had is to burn it in ISO9660 format with the tracks titled 01, 02, etc. I have put them into folder and that worked, too. I haven't been able to use anything other than ISO9660 format on my Mac so that is unfortunate since all the names are truncated to fit that format. Have burned a Windows CD in a Windows format (Joliet? I dunno) and it keeps the full file name.

Hope this helps,
s'fit

angevine41  (op)
Oct 10, 2000, 12:50 PM

I'm going to try the 001,002, etc., scheme tonight; if someone can confirm that A1, A2, etc. works, I'd like to try that, too.

In either case (or both) will the playing order show up the same when I open the CD on my computer screen? (So I can print playlist?)

Toad
Oct 10, 2000, 02:32 PM

Is there anywhere on the web that sells the Philip's Expandium? I'm interested in buying one but I'd like to read about it first.

Can anyone give me a reveiw?

[email protected]

angevine41  (op)
Oct 10, 2000, 04:33 PM

Toad, if you just enter "Philips Expanium mp3 cd player" in your search engine, you'll get plenty, including Philips' web site.

Despite my belly-aching, it's basically a very good machine. I've just spent HOURS trying to find out how to arrange play order to burn cd's.

mattrb
Oct 10, 2000, 07:35 PM

ahh, the mac community realized the great potential for the Expandium. Well, I have had it for a month now. 1) use ISO1990 (Joliet file format) with Toast at all times. 2) I dont know why but my player is messed up it doesn't play in alphanumeric order(bummer) 3)For some reason it has a glich that makes it double the tracks but keep all the songs(basically every even #'ed song is a blank but all play though) 4)Another glich is that it says about a third of my created MP3 CDs are invalid and cant be read 5)The Dam thing takes so long to load up(maybe its windows 98?) 6)The thing doesn't support ID3! 7)Another glich is that it doesn't read all of my songs!!!!!!I hate that!!!!. Now I wanted this because I had so many mp3s and the CD MP3 combo idea is great and cheap. But the sad fact is that this is a first generation product and that it has these downsides. But if you are so anxious that it makes you so happy to buy this baby, then go ahead and buy this overpriced sucker.

Forum Links
Forum Rules