Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Install Tiger Over Panther ??

Install Tiger Over Panther ??
vja4him
Mar 2, 2006, 05:24 PM

I would like to install Tiger on my iBook, but need to keep lots of settings. I want to keep all of my iTunes files, applications, miscelaneous settings ....

How can I install Tiger over Panther and keep the necessary old stuff in tact? Thanks.
*MacPro 2.93GHz-Snow Leopard 10.6.4-8GB RAM*

deeper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2006, 01:06 AM

This probably belongs in the Mac OS X forum, but when I installed Tiger over Panther last week, the only thing I had to reset was the volume slider. Everything else remained intact.

vja4him  (op)
Mar 3, 2006, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by deeper
This probably belongs in the Mac OS X forum, but when I installed Tiger over Panther last week, the only thing I had to reset was the volume slider. Everything else remained intact.
Just to be safe, what files would I want to back up and possibly drag over from the old Panther to the new Tiger? Of course, I'll back up the entire system folders to my external drive just to make sure. But I really don't know which files I may need to drag over .......
*MacPro 2.93GHz-Snow Leopard 10.6.4-8GB RAM*

packetattack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by vja4him
Just to be safe, what files would I want to back up and possibly drag over from the old Panther to the new Tiger? Of course, I'll back up the entire system folders to my external drive just to make sure. But I really don't know which files I may need to drag over .......
I just did this as an experiment with my Mini. I did a clean install of Panther since that is what came loaded on it and then upgraded it to tiger. It mostly works. There are subtle problems like Postfix did not work correctly using the "Postfix Enabler" and "mailserver" applications. Postfix would not create the mailboxes like it should have. But for the most part it worked. I would suggest a clean install of tiger and reinstall your apps and restore your data to the new installation.

MikeS
hackamac.packetattack.com

macaddict4Him
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by packetattack
I just did this as an experiment with my Mini. I did a clean install of Panther since that is what came loaded on it and then upgraded it to tiger. It mostly works. There are subtle problems like Postfix did not work correctly using the "Postfix Enabler" and "mailserver" applications. Postfix would not create the mailboxes like it should have. But for the most part it worked. I would suggest a clean install of tiger and reinstall your apps and restore your data to the new installation.

MikeS
hackamac.packetattack.com
I successfully installed Tiger over Panther. I didn't see the three choices for installing, only "Continue," and so I thought that the entire harddrive was being erased at first. I tried clicking cancel, but it was too late. When we came back home several hours later, Tiger had successfully installed, with all of the old stuff still in tact (e-mail, iTunes, etc.).

So far, so good ........

Forum Links
Forum Rules