Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > FireWire transfer between laptops?

FireWire transfer between laptops?
David Aames
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2006, 08:35 PM

So I tried the Migration Assistant, I put the old mac in Target Disk mode, etc etc

The migration did not work. Computer did not recognize my OS as valid (I have no idea why, I have the box I purchased it right beside me)

So I have an old PBook and my new MBook, and I'm transfering files over wirelessly. Suffice to say, its taking forever.

Is there an easy drag and drop way I can do this? I have a firewire cable.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 08:38 PM

Boot the older computer in target disk mode while it is connected to the newer computer with the firewire cable. (Hold "t" while booting, but I think you know that). Then boot the newer computer normally. You will notice that you have access to everything on the older Mac's HDD.

David Aames  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2006, 09:08 PM

Did that. Restarted both, and tried again. Old PBook is still not showing up at all

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 09:13 PM

Do you know for a fact that the firewire ports on both laptops are good? Is there any chance that one has a bad port, or perhaps that the cable itself is faulty?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

David Aames  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2006, 09:29 PM

I would assume so. Its a new MBP, and I've been charging my iPod off of my old FireWire port for years

ibook_steve
May 1, 2006, 01:00 PM

This may be a stupid question, but are you sure the old machine is in target disk mode? Do you see the Firewire symbol appearing around the screen? Don't attach the cable until you see this on the old machine. When you see it, attach the cable like you're attaching an external drive, which is what you are doing. The old machine should mount like an external volume. I'm sure you've done all this, but since this is a very common operation that doesn't usually have any problems, I just wnat to make sure.

Steve

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2006, 01:07 PM

Try the other way around. Putting the Macbook in target disk mode and copying files from the host, older computer to the Macbook... Some older computers don't work in Firewire target disk mode...

David Aames  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2006, 01:36 PM

Its a G4 Pbook 1.33 GHZ.. so I mean.. its not an ancient model.

I have both on my desk now. My old PBook is showing the FireWire logo and is in Target Disk Mode. I'm using Migration Assistant

Is it normal for it to say 'Waiting For Discs To Appear' for the last hour? Is it working? Or do I need to do something else?

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by David Aames
Its a G4 Pbook 1.33 GHZ.. so I mean.. its not an ancient model.

I have both on my desk now. My old PBook is showing the FireWire logo and is in Target Disk Mode. I'm using Migration Assistant

Is it normal for it to say 'Waiting For Discs To Appear' for the last hour? Is it working? Or do I need to do something else?
I personally don't know if it's normal or not, I usually just move what I want manually and dont use the assistant. Like I always say at the office, screw the assistant!

Tuoder
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jerome
I personally don't know if it's normal or not, I usually just move what I want manually and dont use the assistant. Like I always say at the office, screw the assistant!
It is normal to do. Heck, I know of people who have used iMacs as the world's clunkiest FW external drive.

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
It is normal to do. Heck, I know of people who have used iMacs as the world's clunkiest FW external drive.
Yes, Firewire disk mode I do use once in a while, I just haven't used the Migration Assistant.

David Aames  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2006, 03:36 PM

Even in disc mode, nothing appears. I don't know what's going on

Wireless transfer is so slow

ibook_steve
May 1, 2006, 04:03 PM

Can you attach other disks to the new machine? Have you verified it's not a cable issue?

Steve

amazing
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 06:01 PM

Sounds like the cable is bad, or the port on the PB.

Assuming ports and firewire cable are known good: You can establish a file sharing network using the firewire cable--way faster than wireless. Setup a location in Network Prefs that uses the firewire port, enable file sharing, login and start transferring.

Forum Links
Forum Rules