Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac indigo?

New iMac indigo?
imacguy309
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2007, 10:01 PM

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the MACNN FORUM, and I just purchased my first iMac a couple of weeks ago and love the erognmic design, it is a iMac 350MHZ Indigo SL and came with Mac OS X. I don't have iLife but hope to be getting it soon. I got it for free and it's in perfect condition...

What can and should I do with this computer other than school?

Thanks,
iMacguy309

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2007, 10:18 PM

Well with such a old Mac nothing much IMO
Signature depreciated.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2007, 10:38 PM

It'd be great for school stuff. Make sure you get the right version of iLife because you need a G4 processor for the newer versions. Your computer is a little dated, but still useable. For games you could get Quake III, Sim City III, and maybe Star Trek Voyager Elite Force (the first one.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Well with such a old Mac nothing much IMO
Some of us who can't afford brand new crap can use something like that quite well.

chrisdisregard
Mar 28, 2007, 02:55 AM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:04 PM. )

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2007, 01:48 PM

Might be a bit slow, but you could use it to play Civilization III (the original, not the complete in stores now). If you can find a copy on eBay it's a great game! I wasted many an hour with my iMac G3 and the trusty Greeks.

Or there's always Starcraft - That was probably my second favorite game for that system. (there's a OS X patch around too, I think Blizzard still has it on their page even).

As for iLife, I used iMovie 3 w/ mine. Very slow, but usable - I edited a few school videos w/ it senior year. You just have to be patient. Mind you, I had a 400 mhz CPU and 320 megs of RAM in mine, which helped somewhat.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 02:14 PM

my indigo iMac G3 is my webserver...it's been on 24/7 for almost a year now since i bought it at a garage sale for $10

imacguy309  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
my indigo iMac G3 is my webserver...it's been on 24/7 for almost a year now since i bought it at a garage sale for $10
Holy CRAP! A whole year and it hasn't shitted out yet, (LUCKY). I got mine free online, it runs pretty fast and I'm thinking of putting a music program on here...

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2007, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
just wondering how did you set it up as a web server my ministers are moving back to the UK and are giving me an iMac (is the one with the blue with white dots i think its an SE) anyway i was thinking of doing that with it.

imacguy309  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2007, 09:22 PM

Does anyone know if Reason,(the music mixing program) would work on this iMac good or to slow? ThankS!
iMacguy309

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by imacguy309 View Post
Does anyone know if Reason,(the music mixing program) would work on this iMac good or to slow? ThankS!
iMacguy309

QUOTE=Propellerhead Software Site
"Mac OS

G4 or G5 processor
256 MB RAM
2 GB free hard disk space
CD-ROM drive
Mac OS X 10.2 or later, 10.3 or later strongly recommended
Monitor with 800x600 pixels resolution or better
Recommended: MIDI keyboard with built-in MIDI interface, or MIDI keyboard and MIDI interface"

here is the main site: Propellerhead Software The reason software everything is in the upper left.

you can check the specs of your machine to the ones on the site, and try it out. There is even a demo download that you can test with.

Alex

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2007, 09:55 PM

iMacguy309

Not unless you happen to have a G4 processor in that baby.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2007, 10:18 PM

^ see above youngin'

alex

DougAdams
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 08:23 AM

Even though I have other newer Macs, I've been using my iMac Rev B with OS 9 for professional audio work since it first came out. ProTools Free still runs great on it. In fact, OS 9 kicks ass on it. Sure, some of the software is outdated, but who cares? Documents still print, audio is still playable, Mozilla for OS 9 can be found, and believe it or not, Internet Explorer at one time was the de facto browser on the Mac.

ebow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 09:37 AM

Just so you're aware of your options, you could upgrade that iMac for a 550 MHZ G4:
XLR8 550 MAChSpeed G4 iMac (Slot Load CD) CPU Upgrade
Others will be more qualified to comment on whether that's worth $200.

Short of that, be sure to have a bunch of RAM. I had 640 MB (128 + 512) in my 500 MHz iMac and was pretty happy with that. I guess the price of PC100 / PC133 SDRAM for those computers has been going up recently, so even 512 MB should be pretty good for you, as long as you're not trying to do too much at once

macbones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 09:38 AM

XLR8 400 MAChSpeed G4 iMac (Tray Load CD) CPU Upgrade Kit

Not a bad idea. They also have upgrades for the 400mhz imacs. For $99-, that's not a bad deal. You'll still be pokey though.

Theodour
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2007, 11:41 AM

iMacguy309
I have Reason 2.5 adapted (came with my Radium keyboard) running on my daughters iMac 233 (first gen bondi blue!).

Its running 10.3.9, has 288 MB RAM, 80 gig HD (partitioned as necessary for this thing's crazy IDE controller) and standard 2MB Vram (you can put in 6 if you can find the memory for it).

It runs just fine ... doesn't even hiccup for the demo songs included, and I never do anything that complicated.

Caveat ... you cannot do anything OpenGL with the graphics card in OS X. I think you can if you want to boot into OS 9, but OS X doesn't support 3d in this particular ATI chipset. (Rage II or something like that).

That means if you want to run a visualizer in iTunes, you have to go into the prefs and deselect "Use OpenGL" ... and option that only works with the inlcuded Visualizer ... which is sad, because the one I really want to use with it is WhiteCap, which I'm sure would get a better framrate ...

It also means that you can't play ANY games that use OpenGL. There is a ray of hope here, though, if you like games. AlephOne has the option to NOT use OpenGL ... so you can play Marathon!

beautifulfreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 12:37 PM

Here's a list of software I use with my iMac 500Mhz G3, all very adequately:

Open Office
LaTEX (use Gerben Wierda’s i-Installer)
Photoshop CS (doesn't overly feel slow)
Quark 6
Dreamweaver (4 was fast)
VLC for movies
iTunes for all music

These apps all perform adequately. I do pro Photoshop work on my G3, using a 19 inch monitor, courtesy of the iMac's built-in external VGA adaptor. All Photoshop filters are useable, not so slow that they cause stress.

The G3 in Target Mode can also be used as an external firewire drive, so it's useful as a peripheral if you ever upgrade to a faster Mac.

gikku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 07:38 PM

load up all your music, make playlists in iTunes, and plug your stereo into the headphone jack. You'll never need to change CDs again.
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2xiBook G3s, iMac G3 Rev-A 266mhz woo hoo!
iPod nano 2GB, iPod Photo 60GB, iPhone white 16GB
and Acer Aspire One, because Apple don't do netbooks, duh!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by beautifulfreak View Post
The G3 in Target Mode can also be used as an external firewire drive, so it's useful as a peripheral if you ever upgrade to a faster Mac.
That's going to be one massive and power sucking external HD. I can't imagine the CRT is light on the power use...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

JeffHarris
Apr 1, 2007, 08:42 AM

AppleWorks still works fine. I still use it for business stuff.
The heck with MS Office!

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2007, 09:10 AM

i own one but dont use it much just to house some of my files..... it works fine put a dvd drive in there and then put panther on it (dont know your HD size and youll be flying high)

imacguy309  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2007, 05:47 PM

I've had this iMac for a week or two now and I want a couplemore of these long lasting machines... Does anyone know where I can get a couple more of these for $25 or for free. I know alot of people just throw these in the trash but i would like a couple more...

thanks & happy sunday!
iMacguy309

ibugv4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2007, 09:25 AM

It makes me sick to my tummy to hear ANYONE say a G3 is useless. Office, even 2004, works perfectly fine. I wouldn't throw 10.4 on w/out at least 640MB RAM, and even than 10.3 would probably be better. If it's strictly for use as a school system, a handful of education games + Office = win. My main and only system is an all in one G3 running 10.3 (this thing is from 1997) with a CD-RW I added, internal, and 2x hard disks. I also have a G3 tower of similar era, with Apple DVD-R drive added. Its not the fastest thing with flash, but it certainly does work.

daystartech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2007, 07:33 AM

Does anyone know if Reason,(the music mixing program) would work on this iMac...
You would need to upgrade it to a G4. Daystar offers a 550 MHz G4 upgrade for $199.
http://daystar-store.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=317
Gary Dailey
Daystar Technology
Mac CPU Upgrades, Mac Video Capture, Apple Authorized Sales and Service

imacguy309  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2007, 09:31 PM

How long should I expect my 350MHZ iMac to last?

Thanks,
iMacguy309

Forum Links
Forum Rules