Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > safari 5 problem

safari 5 problem
ron james
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2010, 07:44 PM

i had the version of safari prior to safari 5. i downloaded safari 5 from the apple site.
all went well i dragged the icon into the applications folder and then dragged that icon to the dock. i then clicked on that icon. the top of the page says safari but the page does not load. nothing is there. if i use firefox which i had as my alternate browser it loads easily and shows my apple home page. so i tried it again after deleting all my safari apps and removing them from my macbook. again dowloading safafari 5 using firefox. when i click on safari in the dock it says safari in the top of page but again does not load the page. all my bookmarks are on safari and i would like to get them back. never did i have this problem when i downloaded other safari updates. please help. desperately!!!!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by ron james View Post
all went well i dragged the icon into the applications folder and then dragged that icon to the dock.
I don't think Safari is a drag & drop install. You need to run the installer package.
i then clicked on that icon. the top of the page says safari
What "page" are you talking about here?

I suggest you run the 10.6.4 combo update. It includes Safari 5.

Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo)

ron james  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2010, 11:56 PM

to
TETENAL i am running leopard on mac version 10.5.8 i did re-run the installer package restarted the mac clicked on the safari icon and it still does not load the home page or allow me to access the internet. i can only use the internet with firefox but not with safari. at the top of the screen it says safari, file, edit, view, history, etc but there is nothing on the screen but my desktop screen itself no internet page. please let me know what else i can try. thanks for any reply.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2010, 04:05 AM

Strange! Ok since you have Safari up in Menu go-to Safari>Preferences>General
Make sure Safari is selected has default browser leave Home-page has apple.com.

Now click anywhere in empty-space on desktop (this will hide Safari from Menu) now in Finder>Show All
if it's greyed out click on ⌥⌘H to hide others.
Now click on Finder>Show All this should bring-up Safari if you have installed it properly

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2010, 11:38 AM

Check the Console output when you launch Safari. I suspect some Safari add-on as the culprit. Do you remember installing any?

ibook_steve
Jul 12, 2010, 02:23 PM

One thing you didn't mention is if you've tried pages or bookmarks other than your home page. Have you tried Google? Yahoo? Etc.?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

DanceRynDance
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2010, 01:57 AM

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm running 10.5.8 and ever since Safari 5 came out I cannot open a new window when I click the icon. However when I quite Safari it tells me I have a 1 window open with 0 tabs. I have had to resort to Google Chrome.
EDIT: Fixed by downgrading to safari 4.0.5. http://appletoolbox.com/2010/06/down...-safari-4-0-5/
( Last edited by DanceRynDance; Jul 14, 2010 at 02:18 AM. )

ron james  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2010, 11:53 PM

thank you for your interest and reply. a kind technician at the apple store helped me diagnose the problem. he deleted a plug in that i was not aware was on my mac. that was connected to vuse which someone installed on my mac. then downloaded and re-installed safari 5 and now its working fine. but before i had tried google chrome and it did retrieved all my safari bookmarks. so thanks to all of you for all your suggestions.
r.j.

Forum Links
Forum Rules