Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple Watch debuts in three editions

Apple Watch debuts in three editions
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 9, 2014, 02:29 PM

Apple on Tuesday introduced the long-awaited "iWatch," now known as Apple Watch. The device features a scratchproof sapphire screen in its regular edition, with a new "crown" dial on the side that allows users to scroll, zoom and doubles as a "home" button. The user interface is both new and familiar, with iOS overtones but arranged in a more organic way. The device has built-in storage, six different watch bands that are interchangeable, and a new "taptic" engine that offers vibration along with sound alerts.

The device has a rectangular face, but is not significantly different in style than many conventional and "smart" watches. The time is synched to a universal server for UTS time sync to within 50 milliseconds. The device saves power by only activating when it senses that it is being raised to view. Siri is included inside the watch, which requires a nearby iPhone (5 or later) to augment its abilities.

The face features a touchscreen that can measure both touch and force, noting the difference between a "tap" and a "push," so as to be able to execute actions or bring up contextual menus based on how the face is pressed. The watch is said to be water-resistant, with a sealed chamber for the electronics and an all-new, customized processor called the S1. It uses sapphire sensors on the underside, which is also part of a Magsafe charging system.

The Apple Watch comes in three editions: the simply-titled Watch offers stainless steel or space black stainless steel cases, using a sapphire crystal and offering six different band types ranging from metal to leather. The Apple Watch Sport uses anodized aluminum cases in silver or space gray, and instead of scratch-proof sapphire it utilizes a "strengthened Ion-X glass." Bands available for this version are plastic for durability and come in a variety of bright colors.

Finally, Apple is also offering a luxury "Edition" version, featuring 18-karat gold cases in yellow or rose with the sapphire crystal glass and what the company says are "exquisitely crafted bands and closures." All three share the same capabilities apart from styling, it would appear.

Apps demonstrated during the keynote included a customizable watch face and related time-keeping functions, a drawing-messaging app, conventional and Siri-based text messaging, an activity-monitoring and Workout app, and more. More importantly, Apple has developed a Watch API to allow notifications from third-party apps that maintain the style and "feel" of the company behind them, so that (for example) Facebook notifications look different than Twitter notifications.

The Apple Watch also takes advantage of a new feature coming to OS X Yosemite, iOS 8 and the iPhone 6: an ability to quickly access a personalized "friends" list for quicker contacting. Users create a list of those they are most likely to contact on a regular basis, and the list (with faces) is shown with a single tap or click (depending on the device) for immediate access.

On the watch, the button below the "crown" dial brings up the quick-contacts list. Quick replies to incoming email or messages can also be handled, as well as phone conversations: the Apple Watch features a small speaker and microphone that is probably unsuitable for protracted conversations, but may work well for quick chats without having to take the phone out of one's pocket (as well as dictation for text replies). An incoming call answered on the Watch can then easily be "held" and resumed on the iPhone. The Watch can also use a wearer's Bluetooth headset if desired to handle the call.

"When you get mail, Apple Watch alerts you right away," Apple says. "You can read the message, then flag it, mark it as read or unread, or move it to the Trash. Or open the message on your iPhone, where you can type a lengthier response." Likewise, sending and receiving messages is designed to be easy. "You can dictate a message, or select from preset options -- Apple Watch will make suggestions based on the things you write most. Or you can skip words altogether by sharing one of our new animated emojis."

The Watch also includes a function for drawing a message, such as a heart for example, and sending it to the recipient. It's unclear how a non-Watch user would see the end result, alongside the feature that allows users to send a "heartbeat" or "tap" that would trigger the "taptic" vibration and sound engine on the watch. Also present for mutual Apple Watch users is a "walkie talkie" function similar to what used to be a standard feature on Sprint phones.

Other apps include Passbook, for use with the Apple Pay system which the Apple Watch supports; Maps; Calendar, with the ability to accept or decline invitations right on the device; the Watch can be used as a controller for one's Music iPhone app, as well as to control the Apple TV, and even offers a live preview from the iPhone's camera, meaning users can set the iPhone timer or just activate the shutter to take a picture from the Watch and be in the shot. Stocks, Weather, photo viewing and the ability to "ping" the iPhone to see where it is located are all also part of the standard abilities.

It comes in two sizes for men and women (38mm and 42mm screen sizes), and requires a nearby iPhone (which can be an iPhone 5/5c/5s or the newer iPhone 6 and 6+), starting at $349. It is compatible with the new Apple Pay system as well, bringing that functionality to those who own older iPhones. It will be available starting early next year, and as Tim Cook said at the keynote, "it will be worth the wait."
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 17, 2014 at 03:51 PM. )

PJL500
Sep 9, 2014, 03:57 PM

Forget it. Watches have gone the sway of the buggy whip. (That's why Google went straight to Glass.)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 04:19 PM

Yeah, Google sure hit the market nerve with that.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2014, 04:59 PM

I am not personally a watch wearer, so I'd have to see this in person to even begin to reconsider that decision, but I am far MORE likely to go with a watch than be a Glasshole if I decide I want to keep my iPhone in my pocket most of the time. I suspect Apple will sell a ton of these things.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2014, 05:40 PM

I suspect they will as well, and it's nice to hear someone defer ultimate judgement until they can actually see one in person.

Every Apple keynote is the same: shortly after it ends, the people come out of the woodword to express their disdain or disappointment about a product they have yet to actually hold in their hands, and have only experienced in two dimensions for a half-hour via computer or television screen.

You don't get the full, immersive experience of a video game by watching someone else through the doorway of a room playing it, and you don't get the full, immersive experience of a new product by watching someone introduce it via live video stream. The same thing happened with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, and tones quickly changed when the product actually started shipping into people's hands.

Fonejacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2014, 07:15 PM

Been reading some stupid comments or criticisms about the Apple watch, like Apple haven't made any for left-handed people. Because the Digital Crown is on the right of the watch. Can anyone tell me of any watch manufacturer that actually makes a watch for left-handed people where the crown is on the left? As I have never ever seen a watch for left-handed people.

PJL500
Sep 9, 2014, 11:07 PM

Wait. What kind of device is this? Bluetooth or what?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2014, 01:54 AM

PJL500: the Apple Watch has its own power source, but uses Bluetooth LE to connect to the iPhone.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post
Been reading some stupid comments or criticisms about the Apple watch, like Apple haven't made any for left-handed people. Because the Digital Crown is on the right of the watch. Can anyone tell me of any watch manufacturer that actually makes a watch for left-handed people where the crown is on the left? As I have never ever seen a watch for left-handed people.
You can flip the interface upside down for left-handed use.

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2014, 07:12 AM

One of the more exiting things for me today was iPay and given that on the iPhone 6 the video clearly demonstrates that your finger print on the home button is required for payment, I'm wondering how it works on the watch ? Will the somewhere use the heart rate sensors on some way ? That would right out of Star Trek

Ham Sandwich
Sep 10, 2014, 08:06 AM

WATCH looks less attractive and more painful to wear than the mockups/concept designs that I've seen. I'll wait to test one out in person (gosh just need to wait like 4 months...).

I don't understand why they didn't bend the display, like around your wrist just a little, and make the display wider, so the screen would be bigger. I see a WATCH 2 coming soon.

For $349 I could get a real nice-looking Seiko.

And I don't use phones, but since WATCH requires an iPhone that makes it even less practical (and doubly expensive).
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Sep 10, 2014 at 09:47 AM. )

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2014, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
WATCH looks less attractive and more painful to wear than the mockups/concept designs that I've seen. I'll wait to test one out in person (gosh just need to wait like 4 months...).

I don't understand why they didn't bend the display, like around your wrist just a little, and make the display wider, so the screen would be bigger. I see a WATCH 2 coming soon.

For $349 I could get a real nice-looking Seiko.

And I don't use phones, but since WATCH requires an iPhone that makes it even less practical (and doubly expensive).
I dont use phones ? Really ?

Im guessing they didn't bend the display to appeal to the general mass and not make it seam too futuristic to wear the general watch wearing population would loose interest.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2014, 03:00 PM

He doesn't use computers, either. He writes his posts longhand and has his secretary type them up.

FastiBook
Sep 13, 2014, 07:55 PM

I like the apple watch sport but with a fabric/woven band. I can see aftermarket gold for band accessories, including pocket watch chains, even pocket watch style face lids to go with the chain.
Fact is better than fiction.

Forum Links
Forum Rules