Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need help fixing my partition table!

Need help fixing my partition table!
warlag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2015, 03:13 PM

So i went to install Windows 10 on my 2013 Macbook Pro and I had problems with the install. So i said screw it and went to restore my mac back to one partition. When i went to restore it I got an error saying Problem with partition table may cause trouble with booting. I have no problem with booting or the way my mac runs though. So i ran a test on my hard drive and it came back saying there was no problems. I tried going back to Disk Utility and trying again and no success. I figure there is no problems with my hard drive and it must be the partition table. Does anybody know how to fix this? I can't seem to find anything that helps it. If you can help me please reply!! Thanks! Happy Holidays!

reader50
Administrator
Dec 12, 2015, 05:43 PM

If you are comfortable with Terminal, you can install and try TeskDisk. It does do partition table repair. I've kept a copy on hand, but never used it.

Since you're booting OK, I suggest keeping a current Time Machine backup, and not worrying about it.

If you really want to fix it, I would clone the drive to an external HD, and make sure it is bootable. Then repartition/reformat the internal drive. Do the Bootcamp install. Then clone your working volume back. This will take time, a free external HD (NOT your time machine backup drive), and some fiddling.

warlag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2015, 08:10 PM

Im not the best with terminal but I did try TestDisk and I couldn't seem to get it fixed with it but it might also be because I'm not the best in terminal... I did do a time machine backup just before i tried installing windows... If i used Time Machine to restore my mac to that previous point is there any chance that could fix this issue?

warlag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2015, 07:11 PM

Hey I fixed it! Thanks for the help reader50! Your last suggestion worked... I just made a backup with time machine and I booted off a El Capitan install USB I always keep around me for emergencies. Then I just used disk utility to erase the hole drive and now im currently reinstalling OS X back on to the computer! Thanks for the help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules