Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail Alert But No New Mail

Mail Alert But No New Mail
angevine41
Jun 10, 2000, 09:46 AM

Frequently while in IE (5), I see the flashing email icon up in the finder, but when I go to OE, there's no new mail. At first, I thought it was due to server errors, because there would frequently be one of those alert triangles down at the bottom. But, as time passes, I see that the false email alert is just as likely to happen, period, with or without server error.

Is this just some fluke we have to live with? (That is, until M$ is broken in two and becomes instantly kind and considerate?)
�����������

shopdowneast
Jun 10, 2000, 02:41 PM

jest a thought-
are your "rules" (mail filters) set correctly?
I had a problem when i first installed OE that one filter i'd created was trashing the incoming mail instead of moving it to desired folder.
try disabling all rules (or disable one at a time)

another possible: do you have a hotmail account set-up in OE? Is it included in "send and receive all" ? That's kinda grasping for clues but..........

angevine41  (op)
Jun 10, 2000, 10:46 PM

Nope, not using any rules/filters; just schedules for checking mail on opening, check mail every 5 minutes, empty deletions on quit. Haven't gotten around to filters because, as yet, don't get more than a spam or two a week.

Phloppy
Jun 16, 2000, 10:38 AM

What's prolly happening is there's an error during one of it's scheduled connections. If there's an error while OE is in the background the new mail icon starts blinking. Not the most intuitive way, but that's what happens.

------------------
/phloppy

Forum Links
Forum Rules