Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anti-Virus

Anti-Virus
ThinkInsasne
Feb 10, 2000, 07:49 PM

After receiving a virus loaded email on my bondi blue today, I realized that I had no virus protection. Luckily, the person that sent it's coprate server caught it and sent an alert. What I 'm wondering, is why no virus protection came bundle with my machine. Did I get screwed, or is apple being cheap on something that comes with every windows machine on the market?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2000, 07:55 PM

don't look now, but Virex has been available free for months now... kinda makes the point moot as to whether Apple should have bundled anti-virus software with your Mac...

and, bundled software packages vary widely from minute to minute it seems... depends on what Mac you buy and when you buy it AND who you buy it from...

get Virex at versiontracker

ThinkInsasne
Feb 10, 2000, 07:59 PM

Thanks Wlohn, I'm on my way there

iPaul UK
Senior User
Feb 11, 2000, 09:26 AM

Don't forget that for every single Mac virus.. There's another 225 for the PC. So your much less likely to get infected with a Mac. Besides.. can't grumble if you can get free protection!

ThinkInsasne
Feb 11, 2000, 10:00 AM

Thanks iPaul, but I didn't know I could get it free until I saw wlonh's post. As soon as I read it, i went and downloaded Virex.

Mizuymikal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2000, 05:02 PM

Since there are so many more virus's for the PC platform Should those of us who either have or are planning to get VPC get windows virus protection as well?
TIA
El Gato

[This message has been edited by Mizuymikal (edited 02-11-2000).]
El gato
600 MHz iMac 512M OS X 10.1.5/ OS 9.2.2

PaulMartin
Feb 26, 2000, 01:00 PM

I attmepted to download Virex via versiontracker, as well as directly accessing Dr. Solomon's Virex website: however, no where is it indicated that you can download the Virex software for free. Please direct me to the appropriate page/site so that I can download it.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Originally posted by wlonh:
don't look now, but Virex has been available free for months now... kinda makes the point moot as to whether Apple should have bundled anti-virus software with your Mac...

and, bundled software packages vary widely from minute to minute it seems... depends on what Mac you buy and when you buy it AND who you buy it from...

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2000, 01:06 PM

http://www.versiontracker.com/redir....4/virex_61.hqx

just click on the above link... the link was copied from versiontracker.com just seconds ago... i do not knoiw why you have had difficulty, etc...

PaulMartin
Feb 26, 2000, 01:25 PM

Wow!!! That was quick. Thank you for directing me to the right location.

I would like to know if you could offer any suggestions as to why my iMac DV Special Edition makes so much noise when I'm connected to the Internet (it's a static-type noise even though the modem sound is "off" in the modem control panel). This occurs only when I'm online and is prominent when I select items from the menu or switch between programs (it doesn't occur while I'm actively viewing a page).

I'm also unable to download IE 4.5.1 128-bit secure for my iMac. I have it on my PowerBook G3 and attempted to copy over files however, it doesn't work. When I select "about IE" on my iMac it states that it is an international 40-bit version. Could this be the problem? Any suggestions/solutions?

I apologixe that these questions don't fit the topic but I thought I would "kill two birds with one stone."

Thanks again for your attention to this matter.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2000, 02:23 PM

i have heard of this noise issue, happens under different circumstances and has different sypmtoms from one Mac to another...

it was fixed by replacing the m'board in at LEAST one instance (at the expense of Apple)

you might do a search of the iMac forum for the keyword 'noise', see the little link labelled 'search' near the top at right hand side of nearly all the forum's pages? try that... this issue of noise has been posted several times...

as for IE 128-bit... the 'installer' for IE is a piece of cake, it is just a folder containing the app, etc., and you just launch IE and it runs the 'Microsoft Internet FirstRun' app which places the needed files on your HD where they are needed to be, then you run the 128-bit 'updater' after that...
a breeze.

don't try to drag'n drop files from another IE installation (though i have done so with rock-solid results), just do a 'clean' install of IE... and ALWAYS keep your browser installers after you have used them... i believe that the IE 4.5 download gives an .smi file, save that 'raw' file (.smi: self-mounting image, when you click on an .smi it will mount an image of the 'finished' download)

here is link for IE 4.5.1 http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...us/ie451en.bin

you must 'agree' to not export,etc., the 128-bit stuff in order to d/l the 128-bit updater, here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...it/default.asp

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 02-26-2000).]

gbaker
Mar 9, 2000, 09:43 PM

PaulMartin wasn't the only having problems locating the free download on Version Tracker. I looked everywhere on that site as well as the Networks Associates website but no luck. Tried every conceivable search variation. Glad you had the link wlohn! I prefer Virex over Norton Anti-Virus anyday. Use to use it a couple of years ago until the boss decided to go with Norton. Norton Anti-Virus causes nothing but problems on my system. Virex works quietly in the background while doing what good virus detection software should do. Protect your system without interfering with the normal routine of your computer.

darkprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2000, 09:33 PM

wlohn:

Thank you for the excellent link to get Virex.

I just downloaded it. Now I have a question: Where can I find the user's guide? I can't find it on the NAI site.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2000, 09:46 PM

Sally
Mar 21, 2000, 01:18 AM

Question: I went to the link you had posted to download Virex and it started to download, got a window that said 23.25 to download. It was going VERY SLOW. I didn't want to hang up my line for 25 minutes while the thing downloaded. Is this normal? I have a 56K modem and have a PowerPC 9500 with a turbo charge (sounds like a car huh!) I am viewing the iMac forum pages because I am helping someone with an iMac, and we both need some virus protection.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2000, 05:10 AM

Sally, I don't remember how long it took to download the virex program. I do know that it is worth the wait. If you are in a real big hurry, you can always go buy virus protection. Since it's you and a friend, you could split the price. I can't believe this post is still kicking around. I think it was my first or second I put up
Nemo me impune lacesset

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2000, 08:24 PM

Just a line to bring this wonderful example of ThinkInsasne(sic)'s spelling back to an even wider audience.

You thought it'd go away(again) didn't you

[This message has been edited by Feathers (edited 04-22-2000).]

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2000, 10:20 PM

Hee Hee Hee

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2000, 05:55 AM

Someday Feathers, their wil come a a batle of epic perportionz in whick only one of us shall servive. Besides, as I said, english isn't my native language. I'm from Ireland!!
Nemo me impune lacesset

Vincent
Apr 24, 2000, 09:25 PM

To wlonh: I tired the Virex download and only end up with a Virex Drop Scan icon on my desktop. Double clicking allows me to scan my HD or other desktop files. But there is no control panel to program preferences or scan times etc. Wonder if I did something wrong. I'd like it to scan at startup butthere is no way to program that feature. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by wlonh:

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2000, 12:19 AM

well i thought this post had died months ago

was hoping it had because as it turns out Virex is not free, it is just that the company is too dumb to keep its software from being easily available, or maybe it isn't as you have an incomplete Virex installation it seems or maybe you just clicked the wrong link

i feel no great guilt in having pointed out the availability of Virex, after all virii are rather nasty bits of code that need to be stomped out

call it 'situational ethics', a practice that EVERYONE engages in!!

so please don't flame me on this, anybody

Travis
May 14, 2000, 08:41 AM

To anyone out there...Virex is the way to go! Around 1140pm December 14, 1999, I downloaded the trial version of Norton AV for my RevB iMac. After it finished, I installed it (I am not a newbie either, been working with Macs for years) around 1215am December 15. Well when I installed it, a message saying that this shareware version of Norton had expired!?! It would not let me load the software. So I read the "fine print" = BS user agreement, and found that the program was for evaluation purposes for 30 days...and here's the kicker...or December 15, 1999, whichever comes first. So when I selected the uninstall opion and rebooted my iMac, my "Applications" folder had been ERASED!!! (Thank you backup disks!) I then downloaded Virex 6.1 and have NEVER had a problem. So all users reading this avoid Satan's...um, I mean...Norton's Anti-Virus at all costs!!!

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2000, 11:31 PM

Yup, I'd kinda agree. My policy is never to have any of the Norton, Virex or other stuff running from extensions, only as drag-and-drop or as a launchable app. Virex isn't fond of PC formatted Zips in particular (I think I've said that before, somewhere else) and I've lost count of the time I've spent letting any of those apps interfere with moving cd's in and out or when I'm online, God what a pain. Prevention is better than cure, up to a point, you can't live in a bubble.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2000, 01:05 AM

I wish it would die too (the type-o thing) but it won't. If they aren't smart enough to protect their product, it sucks to be them. I think i have made it plenty clear that I am "morally and ethically challenged" (as well as a poor speller).
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules