Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac not starting up

imac not starting up
poil11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2000, 12:23 PM

i use my imac for work. i turned it off on friday before i left for work. then on monday when i came back from work it wouldn't startup. i tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. no luck, i am going to be taking it to fryes in a day when i have time. but i just wanted to know if anyone has heard of this. sometimes when i leave it unplugged and plug it in again, it will start up and then just shut off. it will make the startig up noise and thats it. any help?
poil
www.poil.net

Ster
May 10, 2000, 06:19 PM

had the same problem at work, they ended up replacing the motherboard (probably a better way to do it, but i think computize's mac tech support is ... below average, to be kind)
or, could be that the power button is loose/off it's track. i've heard that can cause similar symptoms.
-ster

Wyn
May 11, 2000, 09:34 AM

It's likely the power button. Had that happen on 2 iMacs. The tech came out and replaced the button and said that it was a known Apple problem. Something about the switch getting stuck, it's the wrong size, blah blah blah....... Not very good quality control....

DBursey
Professional Poster
May 11, 2000, 12:19 PM

My brother-in-law had the same problem. It turned out that the power button on the face of the unit was getting stuck. 'Prying' it with a pin solved the problem; he was then advised to use the power button on the keyboard exclusively. As someone said, that's Apple quality control for you .

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 11, 2000, 01:51 PM

Actually, it sounds like a dead PRAM battery. If you know how to open an iMac, you can replace it yourself. Just go to CompUSA or wherever with the old battery and get a replacement.

Admittedly it is unlikely that any iMacs have dead PRAM batteries, seeing as how they usually last for years, but it can happen.

tooki

poil11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2000, 02:40 PM

i took it to my local apple dealer dealer and he inspected it, and he said that the motherboard was fried and that it will cost 400 bucks to repair. done and finished.
poil
www.poil.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules