Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > tests for buying a used ipod?

tests for buying a used ipod?
sadpandas
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2005, 08:41 PM

Hey guys,

So, my roomate purchased a used ipod on ebay and was wondering if there were any diagnostic tests or anything he can do to see if there are any problems with the unit so he can return it during the 7 day grace period that the seller gave him if there was in fact anything wrong. Is there anything he should be looking out for? Thanks for you help in advance.
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

torifile
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 08:58 PM

The only thing I could recommend is to load it up with music, fully charge it and just let it play. Make sure to turn off the equalizer and sound check and all that. Put the volume at the middle. Make sure there are enough songs to keep it from having to repeat.

This will give you a good estimate of the battery life. Other than that, if it charges and doesn't make any strange clicking noises, I think you'll be ok.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2005, 09:45 PM

Torifile,

Thanks so much for your quick reponse. We will load it up with as much music as we can throw at it and ill post the results in this thread with our results. Again, thanks for the help and quick reply. I swear i love this forum... any questions i have regarding my pbook are always answered quickly with helpful and insightful information.

cheers,
Panda
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2005, 02:07 AM

oh yeah, make sure it doesnt make any audible beeping noises (outside of the earbuds), and that it isnt stolen... =P

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2005, 02:58 AM

Lancer,
Still waiting on the thing to arrive, what does the audible beeping signify? Let's hope it isn't stolen, I don't need the bad karma. I wish there was a way, besides engraving, that you could brand your ipod with like a greeting message at boot up or a password login... I guess any steps taken could easily be circumvented. Anywa, thanks for the help you guys I will let you know how it goes when we get it finally arrives and we have had some time to load it up.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2005, 06:24 AM

hard drive issues. i heard it may be heads crashing (?!?) but let's just say, if you hear a high pitched beeeeeeeeeeep .... kinda noise, your hard drive is on it's way out. good luck

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules