Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "You need to restart your computer now." ???

"You need to restart your computer now." ???
wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 03:07 AM

inserted an audio disc into my albook 15" tonight just after waking it up, and the message to restart popped up in about 6 different languages. i'm new to mac, so forgive my ignorance, but what causes this lockup?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2003, 04:06 AM

Sh*t happens.

If you are getting this again, I suggest you run the hardware test CD that came with your computer. It could be bad RAM or whatever.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
inserted an audio disc into my albook 15" tonight just after waking it up, and the message to restart popped up in about 6 different languages. i'm new to mac, so forgive my ignorance, but what causes this lockup?
What you saw was the OSX equivlient of a windows BSOD. Refered to as Kernel Panic.

A Kernel Panic is an event which the system can't recover from gracefully and therefore throws the towel in. Usually this is caused by faulty hardware, or something going 'weird'. 9 times out of 10 it's just weirdness. If it happens often, run the hardware test cd.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 05:13 AM

thanks guys. i'd heard of kernel panic before, but didn't know exactly what it was. now i know. and knowing is half the battle. i was hoping to escape the bsod...maybe it was a fluke thing. first time i've had any problems with this setup at all (aside from the spots). thanks again.

dagaz
Nov 24, 2003, 06:40 AM

Any time you do have a kernel panic (I think I've had a grand total of 3 or 4 in almost 2 years, mostly back in the early days of 10.1) you should either boot into the Install CD, choose disk utility from the Intstaller menu and run disk first aid OR boot into single user mode (hold down Apple - S at startup) and at the >prompt type "fsck -y" for 10.2 and earlier or "fsck -yf" for 10.3. fsck stands for file system consistency check and is the same process as disk first aid. The first time or 2 you run this after having a kernel panic you will get the message "FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED". If you do get this message keep repeating until it says everything appears OK. From there you can type "reboot" and continue with happy computing.
Not compatible with Windows

voodoosand
Nov 24, 2003, 07:23 AM

It could be the disc - I had that problem today after a cd I was importing into itunes got stuck. When I forced itunes to quit, everything was fine until I tried to eject the cd - kernel panic. So, there could be a problem related to audio cd's, I am not sure.

-Q-
Nov 24, 2003, 11:13 AM

I've also heard that some of the copy-protected CDs that are being released today can cause fits with Macs. What CD did you use?

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2004, 07:10 PM

I've had three of these today, and I'm not sure why. It seems totally random, with no one thing in common. Of late, I've installed some new software (Fireworks & Flash MX) and set up an airport network at home, but I haven't had any problems when running those programs or operating on the network.

I'm at school now, I'll try running the CDs through the system when I get home and see how that does, but I'm starting to get a little worried....

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2004, 05:35 PM

I had this weekend twice. Both times it happened after I used some generic CDR's After the second time I got fed up and I ran Diskwarrior, It found something fixed it and so far (knocks on wood).
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules