Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MBP Specs and Pricing?

New MBP Specs and Pricing?
MacMinium
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 10:09 PM

Hey everybody. What does everybody think the new specs of the Macbook Pro are going to be? I am guessing:

-Same Case (Possible Annondized Black Aluminum?)
-Magnetic Latch
-2.16 to 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo in all models
-X1600 Video Card in 15", X1800 in the 17" 256 MB on each
-Dual Layer DVD Writer
-1 GB Ram Standard upgradeable to 4 GB
-New Keyboard ala Macbook
-Brighter Display?

spice003
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 10:17 PM

how bright do you want the display to be? its already hella bright, are trying to blind your self

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 10:36 PM

Yeah I honestly would find a brighter screen a waste of battery power.. I consistantly run my MBP at 3-7 bars, I only turn it up outside, and its as bright as I would ever need it.

Those specs seem to be kind of bland.. I would hope such a long awaited update would bring more. My MBP already has the X1600 with the 256MB, and 1 GB of ram. The only upgrade would be 170MHz (but hopefully 64bit) Dual layer DVD drive, and a new keyboard.

there have been a lot of people saying they are waiting for a new MacBook Pro, I believe it would be against Apples best interest to release such a bland update. (they would make a lot of people upset = the stock price will go down sharply.)
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

MacMinium  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 12:43 PM

Well, they just made the new iPod display 60% brighter without sacraficing battery life, so I don't see how that would be a problem. Also, evey other computer manufacturer already has Core 2 Duo notebooks out, Apple needs to hurry up. I wouldn't consider that a Bland Update, they need to get something out to compete. There are tons of people waiting for Core 2 MBP, if Apple doesn't release soon, they could loose sales to competitors. Now that they are on the Intel architecture and can run Windows they are competing with all PC manufactures.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2006, 01:26 PM

I'm not really a big fan of the magnetic latch, but that's not enough change my decision of buying a MBP. I wouldn't mind a brighter screen, but I'll probably keep the brightness setting low.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 03:02 PM

Please be black....please.

mr_macbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2006, 03:26 PM

I think the screen is plenty bright too and it wouldnt hurt to at least make 256 standard if not making a 512mb video card an option. And will apple ever incorporate lightscribe or something similar into the drives???

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 04:59 PM

RAM max will likely be 3GB, not 4GB.

15" may have to stick with single-layer due to the height constraint.

MacMinium  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2006, 05:13 PM

RAM Max will def be 4gb. Every other notebookwith Core 2 is maxing out at 4

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by MacMinium
RAM Max will def be 4gb. Every other notebookwith Core 2 is maxing out at 4
The Core 2 iMacs are maxing out at 3.
There are technical reasons that make 4 difficult with the current chipsets.

MacMinium  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 01:35 AM

Why are Dell and Sony Core 2 laptops maxing out at 4?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
There are technical reasons that make 4 difficult with the current chipsets.
Such As?
Linkinus is king.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Such As?
http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...d/#post3123447

Do those 4GB PC notebooks really give you the full 4GB or do they just let you insert 4 GB?

The iMacs will let you insert 4GB too, but you will only be able to use a little bit more than 3 GB. Since this is a limitation of Intel's current Napa chipset, I'd expect those PC notebook that allegedly support 4 GB to behave the same. Being able to put in 4 GB is not the same thing as being able to address the full 4 GB of memory.

fleaplus
Sep 18, 2006, 03:04 AM

From Dell's Website about their laptops:
*Systems configured with 4GB memory or more: The total amount of available memory will be less than 4GB. The amount less depends on the actual system configuration. To fully utilize 4GB or more of memory requires a 64-bit enabled processor and 64-bit OS.
Although I recall some people mentioning the 945M chipset having a 4GB limitation itself, so neither the iMac or MacBook Pro will be able to address the full 4GB regardless of if they have a 64-bit processor or not, until the new Santa Rosa chipset arrives next year.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...d/#post3123447

Do those 4GB PC notebooks really give you the full 4GB or do they just let you insert 4 GB?

The iMacs will let you insert 4GB too, but you will only be able to use a little bit more than 3 GB. Since this is a limitation of Intel's current Napa chipset, I'd expect those PC notebook that allegedly support 4 GB to behave the same. Being able to put in 4 GB is not the same thing as being able to address the full 4 GB of memory.
Ah. Thanks!
Linkinus is king.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 07:38 AM

Another big change I hope to see is making HD swaps easier, ala MacBook! Ridiculous that Apple has made this so difficult until now, having to half-disassemble PowerBooks, MacBook Pros, and iBooks to do this - most PC notebooks have a very simple hard drive replacement for consumers!

iBorg

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 07:43 AM

IMHO the fact that Apple is taking so much time to introduce a rev B MBP indicates that they have done more than just throw Merom onto the existing board. There's a good chance there will be a substantial case change.

HenrySeiden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 08:51 AM

Hey everybody. What does everybody think the new specs of the Macbook Pro are going to be? I am guessing:

-Same Case (Possible Annondized Black Aluminum?)
-Magnetic Latch
-2.16 to 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo in all models
-X1600 Video Card in 15", X1800 in the 17" 256 MB on each
-Dual Layer DVD Writer
-1 GB Ram Standard upgradeable to 4 GB
-New Keyboard ala Macbook
-Brighter Display?
I just got my MBP the way I want it- you want to replace it!?! Oh well, that's progress...
The question is revolutionary or evolutionary? Apple just took a big leap, I think that they'll be shoring up this go 'round.

I like the latch just fine. My PB's latch just never worked right.

My suggestions:

Quad (or dual Core)? Maybe next time.

Better cooling would be a good idea.

Better video cards on the larger models.

Upgradeable memory to 4GB (two 2GB DIMMs) a good idea on all models.

FW800

Cardbus standardization. No one is doing much with 34mm.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by HenrySeiden
Quad (or dual Core)? Maybe next time.

Better video cards on the larger models.

Upgradeable memory to 4GB (two 2GB DIMMs) a good idea on all models.

FW800

Cardbus standardization. No one is doing much with 34mm.
No. I haven't even seen a leaked Intel roadmap with four cores in a mobile chip.

Hopefully MXM too, making the GPU/VRAM upgradeable.

Limited to ~3GB until 2Q07.

Trivial chip change.

I agree, EC/54 is the way to go, but I'm not convinced that Apple will do it.

bbqhog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 09:27 PM

Yea baby!

AppleInsider | Apple to update MacBook lines in time for holidays

Apple Computer plans to update both its MacBook and MacBook Pro lines of Intel notebook computers in time for the holiday shopping season, but may take some time before it does so, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with the matter say development of Core 2 Duo versions of all three models -- the 13-inch MacBook, 15-inch MacBook Pro and 17-inch MacBook Pro -- are now complete and all that's left is for Apple marketing to pull the trigger.

But those same people indicate that precise launch dates for the respective models remain fluid and Apple customers should expect the updates to arrive anytime between now and the time Thanksgiving rolls around in late November.

Similarly, it's unclear whether Apple will launch the new consumer MacBooks and professional MacBook Pro models simultaneously, or if it will space the releases to assure it maintains enough of Intel Corp.'s Core 2 Duo processors to properly facilitate each launch.

Similar specs expected

According to industry contacts, Intel began shipping the Cupertino, Calif.-based company mobile variants of its Core 2 Duo chips (Merom) during the last week of August. However, Apple opted to use those initial shipments in revamping its iMac all-in-one desktop systems earlier this month.

Upon their release, it's expected that the new MacBook and MacBook Pro lines will feature specifications very similar to existing offerings, mainly due to similarities in processor frequencies between Intel's Core Duo and Core 2 Duo processor lines. However, the Core 2 Duo line adds a 2.33GHz chip, which is expected to be available to buyers of higher-end MacBook Pro configurations. (A 2.33GHz Core Duo "Yonah" processor was recently released by Intel but not adopted by Apple.)

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2006, 09:59 PM

well, 'in time for the holidays' means that it gets released quite a while before thanksgiving, so that it's fully and widely available by thanksgiving. If you're out of stock on t-day, then you've missed the holiday season.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 03:08 AM

That AppleInsider post is just vauge. Available sometime betwene now and november? anyone could have guessed that.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 03:22 AM

I hope Apple will finally switch to a FW800 port. A simple adapter plug will let everybody continue to use FW400 devices, but FW800 is just so much more appropriate for a pro Mac (even more so when that pro Mac doesn't come with eSATA).

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2006, 10:36 AM

Well, I'm, hoping that "in time for the holidays" doesn't mean "release during the Christmas shopping season".

greenamp
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 11:12 AM

Heh. Made my MBP purchase last Tuesday following the non update. Got it three days later on a Friday.
Does the 14day return policy apply to online CTO orders?

phazedowt
Sep 19, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by justinkim
Well, I'm, hoping that "in time for the holidays" doesn't mean "release during the Christmas shopping season".
Most likely it will be "announced" next week and will ship many weeks later :-p
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by RevEvs
That AppleInsider post is just vauge. Available sometime betwene now and november? anyone could have guessed that.
Well, some sites are reporting September 25th at Photokina. That would certainly be in advance of the holiday season, which seems to start earlier and earlier every year.

MacMinium  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 02:04 PM

Ok, so we definitely know that a Revised MBP is coming out sometime between now and Christmas. Now how about some speculation on features and pricing?????

Core 2 Duo is a given. What else do you think will be offered? I am fairly certain that an alternative color will be an option, giving Apple the opportunity to make a few more bucks off a different color. Brushed black aluminim ala the iPod Nano is my guess.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 07:11 PM

Ok, so we definitely know that a Revised MBP is coming out sometime between now and Christmas. Now how about some speculation on features and pricing?????

Core 2 Duo is a given. What else do you think will be offered? I am fairly certain that an alternative color will be an option, giving Apple the opportunity to make a few more bucks off a different color. Brushed black aluminim ala the iPod Nano is my guess.
I'm inclined to think not as far as alternative colors. I would guess that Apple wants all the Pro level stuff to match (Mac Pros, Displays, and Mac Book Pros) which would mean all basic aluminum. Release a black MBP and then folks will start clamouring for black displays. It would result in chaos
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 08:25 PM

I expect larger hard drives and I wish for dual hard drives, at least in the 17inch. Pro usage of either Photoshop or Aperture requires a second hard drive

Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 12:35 AM

Perhaps, an upgraded GPU. Maybe a x1800, though I doubt it. I don't expect much more than the Core 2 Duo.

G5man
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 12:52 AM

2 HDs and you have it as think as a PC laptop and does the battery life fly straight out the door? Larger drives like 160 GB I would want. MXM, for sure. Cooling, if you actually get fans into them, they'd be cooler than the competition.
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 03:16 AM

They do have fans!

phazedowt
Sep 20, 2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by G5man
Cooling, if you actually get fans into them, they'd be cooler than the competition.
The problem isn't so much a lack of fans as it is a lack of usage of the fans. If the fans on the MBPs kicked in at a lower temperature, the machines would run cooler. IIRC, there was a firmware update that partially addressed this.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by phazedowt
The problem isn't so much a lack of fans as it is a lack of usage of the fans. If the fans on the MBPs kicked in at a lower temperature, the machines would run cooler. IIRC, there was a firmware update that partially addressed this.
actually, it wouldn't. if you think about it for awhile you would see why not.

at max power - there is a certain amount of heat output. if you're at max power, then after a while the computer reaches a certain temperature. it doesn't matter when the fans turned on.

turning the fans on earlier keeps the machine cooler when it's not running at full load, but doesn't change the equilibrium temperature when it's running at full tilt.

phazedowt
Sep 20, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by zaghahzag
actually, it wouldn't. if you think about it for awhile you would see why not.

at max power - there is a certain amount of heat output. if you're at max power, then after a while the computer reaches a certain temperature. it doesn't matter when the fans turned on.

turning the fans on earlier keeps the machine cooler when it's not running at full load, but doesn't change the equilibrium temperature when it's running at full tilt.
What the fans change is not how much heat output there is, but how quickly that heat gets dissipated.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2006, 01:58 PM

the fans being on all the time will result in a lower average temp, but it's not going to reduce the peak temp one bit. I just don't think people should confuse 'turning the fans on more' with reduced temperatures. If you use the machine at 100%, having the fans run at lower temps doesn't do anything.

what reduces the peak temps is a lower heat output and more efficient cooling.

MacMinium  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 04:36 PM

I know a few notebooks are being offered with dual HD's, but I honestly doubt the new MBP will have that option. Would be an awesome option. 160 gb HD is probably a given. As far as fans go, who cares, as long as it runs and overheat.

I think the MB keyboard is a given for the new MBP. How about a higher resolution camera? Maybe a Blu-Ray Drive? How about dedicated programable keys for Expose, Dashboard, and stuff? That way you don't have to hit F12 and stuff all the time, it would make it a lot easier.

What do you guys think pricing will be?

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2006, 05:06 PM

pricing best stay the same or i wont be able to buy it. Knowing apple and there sudden intrest in pricing they might even lower the price(i wish). Blu-ray would be a great option, bigger HrdDrv, hi-def screen, nicer Camera, longer Bt life, and hmmmm....cheaper Memory upgrading no no...more memory built in...non of this 512 crap...we want a base of one gig. i would loooveee a 512 vcard or a faster one at least.
MJ~

rkehlor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 05:51 PM

I want my aluminum 13" MacBook Pro! I like the aluminum case so much better than the plastic black or white--but I like that size so much for portability...

Anyone else?

atc ben
Sep 20, 2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by rkehlor
I want my aluminum 13" MacBook Pro! I like the aluminum case so much better than the plastic black or white--but I like that size so much for portability...

Anyone else?

Yep.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2006, 02:19 AM

How about led backlights.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2006, 02:47 PM

It would be nice if the rumors are true, so I'm going to wait until the 25th to see how it pans out.
I'm stuck in my office using an single core Mac Mini with 512mb , and it's torture waiting...

but heh, an all black MacBook Pro would be outa sight and worth waiting for.
( Last edited by osiris; Sep 22, 2006 at 08:49 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

RevJonn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 03:28 PM

got mine waiting till the 26th... com'on Apple let them out..

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by rkehlor
That would be Shweet. if i had the money my perfect combo would be a 13" MBP and a 24" imac....
anyone want the macbook to look more like an ibook...i miss the ibook i dunno why....i jus do.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2006, 09:05 PM

I'm hoping for a black MacBook Pro.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Kevin Dunahee
Sep 22, 2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by G5man
Larger drives like 160 GB I would want.
Even Master Yoda has switched to Mac. Apple should be proud.

-KD

giggs11
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 10:41 AM

So, the rumor is that we should hear something today, right?

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 10:48 AM

Well, it's not a very widely reported rumor, so I'm not getting my hopes up. I'd think that if an update were going to happen today, there would have been more pre-announcement buzz.

Store's still up, too.

tracheopterix
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 10:49 AM

What time is the pre-photokina apple event scheduled for today, and why don't I see it being covered on the blogs?

Forum Links
Forum Rules