Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can somebody explain how Apple managed to route USB out of the new iPod shuffle?

Can somebody explain how Apple managed to route USB out of the new iPod shuffle?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 10:42 AM

So, I noticed that the only physical connection from the new iPod shuffle to its dock is the 'headphone' plug. So I guess Apple didn't just take a normal headphone plug, but somehow also routed USB traffic over extra portions of that plug. Can somebody offer some insight as to how they did that?

It looks as if there were two extra leads on the shuffle's dock:

Is that enough to get USB traffic going? The way I understand the USB specifications, in addition to ground, you need three signal leads.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Sep 19, 2006, 10:47 AM

I see 4 connection terminals on that plug, and that is all the usb plugs have. Just a different way of doing it, and much more compact.
- Eric

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 10:50 AM

So you are suggesting they use the same leads for USB and audio and auto-sense when to switch? If that's really what they do, it's rather nifty.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Sep 19, 2006, 11:00 AM

It's really the only thing they could do, other wise you'd have another port somewhere just for your head phones. The hardware can determine if it's a computer signal vs head phone plug somhow. I bet this type of connection will soon take over as it can take away the big dock connector and or the smaller standard usb plug and make things simpler and more compact. The only thing I'd worry about is that nice shiny plug sticking up out of the dock as it's connected to the computer and has some power all the time.
- Eric

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 04:06 AM

Another question: can it charge the iPod shuffle and playback music to external speakers from the minijack at the same time?
Looking forward.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by dreamBweaver
Another question: can it charge the iPod shuffle and playback music to external speakers from the minijack at the same time?
No.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 12:56 PM

The Mobiblu has been doing this for years.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by dreamBweaver
How's the dock designed? I know it's small, but did they by chance have room to fit a line out plug on it like the video dock? Figures the only iPod with one connector and didn't allow a way to play and charge at the same time?
- Eric

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
So you are suggesting they use the same leads for USB and audio and auto-sense when to switch? If that's really what they do, it's rather nifty.
The early G3 iBooks had composite video out from the headphone jack. It also had the ability to auto-sense when it was connected to a video destination and switch video modes (though, early versions of the OS sometimes confused headphones with video and would switch video at the wrong time)

Over-all, though, a nice solution since it only required one cord to run audio and video out to a TV (and worked well for me since my iBook served as my DVD player for a time)

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2006, 06:27 PM

Wow, I had totally forgotten that those iBooks did that. I've gotta say, through owning plenty of generations of iMacs, iBooks, and a Powerbook, the Rev B clear white iBook from late 2001 was by far my favorite. For the price point and era, it was one of the best 'jumps' in capabilities when upgrading to a new machine (in my personal experience). I just loved it.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2006, 04:57 PM

Is it October yet? I want my new shuffle.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2006, 10:41 PM

oops. Wrong thread

Forum Links
Forum Rules