Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Used 12" Powerbook: How much is too much?

Used 12" Powerbook: How much is too much?
Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2007, 09:42 PM

I see used 12" powerbooks (1.5 Ghz 512-1.5gb RAM 60-80 GB) going from $600-$800 on ebay. Since mine just died, what is the maximum price I should pay for a 1.5 Ghz with 512 RAM and 60 GB HD?

Thanks.

rjt1000
Senior User
May 21, 2007, 09:21 AM

Checking recent eBay completed auctions is a good way to determine the fair market value of a machine (at least in that marketplace). That said, eBay is a sellers market for popular items like late model PowerBooks. The 12 inch PowerBooks in particular have held their value well, probably because Apple has not (yet?) released a small footprint MacBook Pro. (You might find a 12 inch PB cheaper on Craigs list, but you'd have to be lucky to find one being sold locally.) I have a 12 inch 1.33 ghz PowerBook, and I think its a great machine. But with refurb MacBooks including warranty as cheap as $850, (IMHO) I dont think you are getting good value spending 2/3 of that (or more) on a used PowerBook with no warranty.

jersey
Senior User
May 21, 2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post
... I have a 12 inch 1.33 ghz PowerBook, and I think its a great machine. But with refurb MacBooks including warranty as cheap as $850, (IMHO) I dont think you are getting good value spending 2/3 of that (or more) on a used PowerBook with no warranty.
I've been wonering the same thing for a while now. My GFs 12" just died, and shes anxious to get another, but I keep telling her shes crazy not to buy a MB.

I know there is a cult following regarding these 12" machines, but damn people, see the light.

IMHO you'll be much happier with a refurb MB.

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 03:09 PM

No I won't, I am very picky when it comes to my notebooks, I hate how the macbooks are made out of plastic, that scratches easier than brushed aluminum, and it doesn't feel as sturdy as a PB or MBP. They have "integrated intel graphics" or crap as most people like to call it compared to the NVIDIA chips in the PB. The keyboard is a joke, I have a very hard time typing on it. I think the size of the 12" is perfect, not any bigger or smaller. I don't need an iSight or front row, the remote is just another thing I would lose. I already have a power adaptor and battery that are in great condition from my broken 12", so..I'd have a spare battery and power supply, a bag that fits the 12", as well as any working part except the logic board to use as a replacment from my old broken 12". And i'd get a superdrive, not a combo drive. Also I have copies of Photoshop CS2, and no money to spend on CS3, unlike a lot of you, and we all know a 1.5GHz PowerPc processor can run photoshop CS2 a lot better than a 2.16 GHz intel processor. These are my opinions, I hate the macbook. Your girlfriend probably shares some of the same thoughts.
( Last edited by Sub; May 21, 2007 at 03:25 PM. )

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
May 21, 2007, 03:48 PM

I have a 12" 1GHZ with 1.25GB RAM and 100GB HD that I was just about to eBay. If you are interested, PM me. I think the price premium comes from the perceived lack of a small sized Apple portable at the moment.
12.1" Powerbook G4

OreoCookie
May 21, 2007, 04:22 PM

I don't think the build quality of iBooks/MacBooks is what you make them to be, they are very sturdy machines. My ProBook just shows different signs of wear and tear than an iBook/MacBook. The MacBook will definitely run circles around a 12" PowerBook … 

The 12" PowerBook have very weak graphics cards (nVidia FX-5200 Go) that are no better than the integrated graphics card you get in the MacBooks. Actually, in some benchmarks such as 3D mark 2003, they are slower.

The cpu will -- for all intents and purposes -- be faster, even if specific apps are slower now, you still have a second core and get a much more future-proof machine. Remember that most other apps you might be using (Mail, your browser of choice) are capable to harness the full power of your cpu.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

rjt1000
Senior User
May 21, 2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
No I won't, I am very picky when it comes to my notebooks, I hate how the macbooks are made out of plastic, that scratches easier than brushed aluminum, and it doesn't feel as sturdy as a PB or MBP. They have "integrated intel graphics" or crap as most people like to call it compared to the NVIDIA chips in the PB. The keyboard is a joke, I have a very hard time typing on it. I think the size of the 12" is perfect, not any bigger or smaller.....These are my opinions, I hate the macbook.
OK, it certainly seems your mind is made up. If the fair market price of a 12 inch PB is worth it to you (and apparently you are not alone), then by all means go for it. BTW, you can also consider parting out your broken unit to help defray the costs.

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 05:22 PM

OK, it certainly seems your mind is made up. If the fair market price of a 12 inch PB is worth it to you (and apparently you are not alone), then by all means go for it. BTW, you can also consider parting out your broken unit to help defray the costs.
That's true. I have a lot of parts, thanks! And I actually put a lot of thought into this before I made up my mind. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I want a light MBP!

Thanks everyone else for your replies, too!

God damn ebay SOB out bid me in the last 10 seconds, ass****.
( Last edited by Sub; May 21, 2007 at 06:17 PM. )

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 21, 2007, 06:30 PM

i replaced my 12" 1.33g pb with...a 1.5g 12". found one new at b&h in nyc.

cost me almost as much as a macbook, but it's what i wanted. everything i do works well on this machine.
i preferred the size, keyboard, form factor of the 12" over the mb.

anyway, am hoping to stay with it until a 12" mbp (!) comes, or the fabled subnotebook...

you could check b&h, see if they have any more new 12"...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 06:52 PM

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/382573-REG/Apple_M9691LLA_12_Powerbook_G4_1_5GHz.html

Jesus, that is way too expensive, alright I'm going to buy a Macbook or a pro, the site doesn't seem to be layed out the same way it used to be, when I search for refurbished items, it doesn't have Macbooks or MBPS show up like it did a while ago. Help please?

rjt1000
Senior User
May 21, 2007, 08:32 PM

God damn ebay SOB out bid me in the last 10 seconds
Check out eSnipe - Bid on eBay Automatically - eSnipe 3.0

For Apple's refurbs, go to the Apple Store then click on the red tag: "Save" in the right margin. The refurbs sell out fast, so check every morning at about 8am Eastern time. Good luck.

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 09:12 PM

Thanks, I always get kind of nervous when using ebay, even when it's something that isn't 700 bucks.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 21, 2007, 10:32 PM

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/382573-REG/Apple_M9691LLA_12_Powerbook_G4_1_5GHz.html
yikes, i paid a lot less than that...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

OreoCookie
May 21, 2007, 10:46 PM

... when I search for refurbished items, it doesn't have Macbooks or MBPS show up like it did a while ago. Help please?
They've released just new MacBooks and presumably there will be new ProBooks next month. Hence the paucity in the channels. However, this should be good news for you as you can buy a new MacBook just after its release

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2007, 06:01 PM

If I sell the parts to my powerbook, and put a little more $$ in, I could get a blackbook, I have no real preference to the processor, because it will all seem batter coming from a G4, but do you think that the macbooks next month will be worth the wait for me?

OreoCookie
May 22, 2007, 06:31 PM

Well, the AppleStore says the new models are shipping within 24 hours, why do you think you have to wait? New models have just been released … 

PS I wish they made black ProBooks, they are just beautiful machines.

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2007, 06:36 PM

I meant the ones that will be released in June, with santa rosa I presume...

OreoCookie
May 22, 2007, 06:57 PM

There will probably be no new MacBooks. I have never heard of a case when Apple replaced a refreshed notebook after just one month.
I assume Apple will only update the ProBooks (they are due for a replacement).

If you want to buy a MacBook, now is the time.

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2007, 06:59 PM

Sweet, that doesn't happen very often for me...

OreoCookie
May 22, 2007, 07:09 PM

BTW, I'd definitely go for 2 GB RAM. I GB doesn't cut it, especially if you do a lot of photoshopping.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 11:23 PM

My 12in 1.33 just turned 3 this past month, and I'm really wanting to ditch it for a new MB Pro. I'm just worried about the resale price.... so much so that I may sell rather cheap to a family member.

The problem for me is that the Macbooks are such good deals, and unless the Pros have a nice solid update, it'll be tough to justify the extra $. Oh the humanity. Someone please hit Apple for me and see whats taking so long with the update.

rjt1000
Senior User
May 23, 2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
My 12in 1.33 just turned 3 this past month, and I'm really wanting to ditch it for a new MB Pro. I'm just worried about the resale price.... so much so that I may sell rather cheap to a family member.
The resale price for the 12 in 1.33 is quite strong, at least on eBay here in the states. Is that not true in Japan?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 02:43 AM

The resale price for the 12 in 1.33 is quite strong, at least on eBay here in the states. Is that not true in Japan?
Probably a better price still in Japan due to its small size and the insane lovings of Japanese people.

iomatic
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 11:22 AM

I've won so many bids that I wanted (my dollar amount tolerance is higher when I desire something from the 'lectronicBay) using eSnipe. Highly recommended.

Check out eSnipe - Bid on eBay Automatically - eSnipe 3.0

For Apple's refurbs, go to the Apple Store then click on the red tag: "Save" in the right margin. The refurbs sell out fast, so check every morning at about 8am Eastern time. Good luck.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2007, 11:53 PM

I was thinking today of selling my 12" powerbook and upgrading to the macbook. On the Apple Canada site a referb Macbook is $500 less than a 12" powerbook!!!

Refurbished MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
1280 x 800 resolution
512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)
60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera
Learn More
Price: $959.00
Estimated Ship:
5-7 business days
Free Shipping

Add

Refurbished PowerBook 12-inch 1.5GHz SuperDrive
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rates
Learn More
Price: $1,439.00
Estimated Ship:
3-5 business days
Free Shipping

Add

Makes me wonder why the Powerbook is so much more expensive, with only a bigger HD... I have to say that the 12" form factor is great. It is the best laptop I have owned! I guess one day I will upgrade, but sometimes my powerbook with 1.25Gb of RAM seems peppier than my intel imac with 2 Gb of Ram. It is definately way faster waking from sleep!
My Blog-pakos.me

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
May 25, 2007, 08:47 AM

As a data point, I just sold my powerbook on Craigslist for $500. I feel like I probably could have gotten quite a bit more as I received at least 12 emails in the first 2 hours of listing it. But I'm happy it held so much value for being 3+ years old

Specs:
12" 1GHZ
1.25 GB RAM
100 GB HD
Combo
No scratches or dents
12.1" Powerbook G4

Veltliner
Mac Elite
May 26, 2007, 03:29 AM

Sub, I would go craigslist.

Example:

I bought this one for my own needs and used it just rarely.
I'm the first owner. As you can see in the pictues below, present condition is so perfect like new one.

- 1ghz power g4 processor
- 768 mb ddr sdram
- 40g hard drive
- airport extreme installed (wireless internet)
- dvd-rom/cd-rw
- mac os x and other bundled software
- carrying bag & mouse included

Great price $550!! Cash only.
E-mail: [email protected]

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/sys/336811522.html

Sure, it's in LA, but you should find such a deal in NY, too.

Ebay is good for things that aren't too popular. If they are, prices go up like crazy. Some used Mac laptops come close to their price new.

rico
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2007, 02:01 PM

You can check the fair market value for any Mac on this site...

http://www.mac2sell.net/

Best of luck on your Mac-hunt.

~bash $
Forum Regular
May 27, 2007, 08:58 AM

I recently got almost 900 USD for my 12" PowerBook, which nicely funded my refurb MacBook with very little damage.

Especially since the euro is strong, that helps US sellers who are willing to deal with European buyers.

However you may want to consider waiting to see if Apple makes anything out of their recent patents that hint at smaller MBPs. I really just don't think buying a G4 is worth anything more than half the price of a MacBook, for reasons stated above.

Kyros
Forum Regular
May 29, 2007, 03:27 PM

Macofalltrades has a 12 inch/1.5 ghz for 900 USD. It's probably more than you pay on ebay, but at least this has the benefit of being a reputable store, and I'm pretty sure there is some sort of warranty.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2007, 08:42 AM

Mine died too couple of months ago but I replaced the HD with 120 GB from Fujitsu and it works like a champ now and it only cost me $80 to did that. So why give up with new one if you can still fix the PB? just my $.2..

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2007, 04:08 PM

I bought a BlackBook, 160 GB, 2 Gigs. I will have the pics soon.

jools
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2007, 04:32 PM

Bizarrely enough I am just about to sell my fiancé's 12" 1.5Ghz PowerBook for £600 in London while she purchases a new MacBook 2.16Ghz
iMod - think music, think britpop, think mod, think different

jools
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2007, 04:36 PM

Bizarrely enough, I have just sold a 12" 1.5Ghz PowerBook in London for £600 sterling while my fiancé purchases her new MacBook 2.16Ghz for $1224.99 in San Francisco, which equates to about £619.00. If she bought two, we could have covered the cost of the flights and accommodation!
iMod - think music, think britpop, think mod, think different

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by jools View Post
Bizarrely enough, I have just sold a 12" 1.5Ghz PowerBook in London for £600 sterling while my fiancé purchases her new MacBook 2.16Ghz for $1224.99 in San Francisco, which equates to about £619.00. If she bought two, we could have covered the cost of the flights and accommodation!
Hmmm.... Thats one heck of a nice sell there. Looking at eBay, 12in 1.33 ghz Powerbooks are going for around $600. Mac2Sell.com says my Mac is worth $750.... which I would LOVE to get. I'd even throw in the iSight camera I have.

I was going to sell it to my mother, who really wants a laptop, but at that kind of price she'd be better off going for a referb Macbook. Seeing how I'll be needing over 233,000¥ I would like ot get as much cash as possible.

Hmm... time for me to ask around and find the ebay of Japan....

Forum Links
Forum Rules