Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pics of new MACBOOK PRO???

Pics of new MACBOOK PRO???
Ado
Forum Regular
May 24, 2007, 11:32 PM

intelnotebook - Gizmodo

Seeing that ASUS makes the macbooks, "COULD" this be the model for the next pros made by intel?
Keys are nice, I just hope apple offers a black casing.. Metal is now boring.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2007, 12:11 AM

14 hours battery life sure would be nice.

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2007, 12:29 AM

14 hrs would be quite sexual, BUT, I hate the gold accents. ugh.
please keep the aluminum casing.
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 25, 2007, 12:36 AM

That doesn't look like OS X

solofx7
Mac Elite
May 25, 2007, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost View Post
That doesn't look like OS X

i second that.
this looks like that OS that i installed that i wanted to use as a coaster... !

highstakes
Senior User
May 25, 2007, 01:36 AM

Wow...14 hours! I would sell my current MBP and buy one of the new ones instead!

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 25, 2007, 03:02 AM

Remember, 14 hours is theoretical. Just like our MBP's last last "up to 5 hours" for our 15" models and "up to 5.5 hours" for the 17" models. Of course, that's with backlight all the way down, all wireless off, no CDs or DVDs in the drive, etc, etc...

So... take this laptop. It's so thin, there's likely no optical drive. That space can add at least a second battery to a MBP. So, that'd be like up to 10 hours.

The display looks like a widescreen... but I'm not so sure it's a 15.4. My guess... 13.3. Look at your own MBPs and see how much space you have from the keyboard edge to the edge of the computer. That makes it a smaller computer. Then... look at how far in the LCD starts from the bezel. The screen is only about as wide at the keyboard... just like the MacBooks.

So, if it's the size of a MacBook, which has "up to 6 hours" of battery life. And we took out the optical drive for more battery space, that's up to 12 hours.

THEN, we use LED backlights on the LCD. That should gain us some time. Use a few more efficient components. And slower processor. (they didn't say anything about Santa Rosa, so it's probably not.)

Then you stretch the truth a bit like all other press releases touting new products. That's how you get 14 hours.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2007, 08:58 PM

It's wont be as good as you expect.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
Remember, 14 hours is theoretical. Just like our MBP's last last "up to 5 hours" for our 15" models and "up to 5.5 hours" for the 17" models. Of course, that's with backlight all the way down, all wireless off, no CDs or DVDs in the drive, etc, etc...

So... take this laptop. It's so thin, there's likely no optical drive. That space can add at least a second battery to a MBP. So, that'd be like up to 10 hours.

The display looks like a widescreen... but I'm not so sure it's a 15.4. My guess... 13.3. Look at your own MBPs and see how much space you have from the keyboard edge to the edge of the computer. That makes it a smaller computer. Then... look at how far in the LCD starts from the bezel. The screen is only about as wide at the keyboard... just like the MacBooks.

So, if it's the size of a MacBook, which has "up to 6 hours" of battery life. And we took out the optical drive for more battery space, that's up to 12 hours.

THEN, we use LED backlights on the LCD. That should gain us some time. Use a few more efficient components. And slower processor. (they didn't say anything about Santa Rosa, so it's probably not.)

Then you stretch the truth a bit like all other press releases touting new products. That's how you get 14 hours.
It weighs 2.25 lb... the MacBook with a second battery would be over 5 lb.
So much for that theory.

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 25, 2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It weighs 2.25 lb... the MacBook with a second battery would be over 5 lb.
So much for that theory.
Huh? When did I say anything about weight? And what does weight have to do with power consumption and management?

Oh, and BTW, a second article mentioned that the MetroBook uses a solid state drive... so that's where you get the rest of the battery life.

maxhedrum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2007, 11:28 PM

One nice thing about graphics programs is that you don't have to build physical prototypes.

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 26, 2007, 12:07 AM

I particularly like the contrast of the shiny outside and matte black inside.

Ado  (op)
Forum Regular
May 26, 2007, 03:59 AM

At any rate I think this laptop looks far better than Apple is offering.
If this laptop was pure black, it would surely be sexy.
I know alot of PC ppl who were disappointed with Vista and are watching the new macbook pro release anxiously as their first entry into apple.
So far apple disappointed us with that crap macbook upgrade.

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 26, 2007, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ado View Post
At any rate I think this laptop looks far better than Apple is offering.
To me, it's actually a bit reminiscent of the PowerBook Titaniums. I actually liked those enclosures better.

One thing about this MetroBook design though, that's gonna be one crappy keyboard to type on.

RickR
Baninated
May 26, 2007, 04:30 AM

I purchased a MacBook Pro Core2Duo last fall. I often max out my hard drive in systems and would have gone with 200 gigs but because of the lower speed chose 160 gigs. Well I'm down to only 25 gigs free already. I bought a external Lacie firewire drive which is 160 gigs. That solves my problem but I move my computer all around the house and also take it with me on business trips and the hard drive is just a extra item to carry. I've thought of offloading some rarely used software to it. But today I read how both Fujitsu and Western Digital have 250 gig hard drives coming out now that are mac compatible and 5400 rpm so it's so tempting!
My question, how hard it is to upgrade them? I've heard it isn't supposed to be done by a user but can be done. Will it void my warranty? I can't go without my laptop for long but if I went to a Apple store could they do it while I wait? Will they have these hard drive options available or can I take one of these drives in? I figured they have their own hard drives at a premium price.

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 26, 2007, 04:37 AM

It's not too bad to upgrade the hard drive in your MacBook Pro. There's a few guides online that show you step by step. But, TECHNICALLY, it voids your warranty. But no one needs to know. The Apple Store does not do hard drive upgrades, so don't bother going there. Other Apple Authorized Service Providers do, but it could cost you.

Chaoticjoe
May 26, 2007, 12:15 PM

this looks like that OS that i installed that i wanted to use as a coaster... !
That's vista for ya.
Hey...

ddma
Forum Regular
May 26, 2007, 12:19 PM

Just me or ... this laptop has a funny looking trackpad... see the buttons below.
The stupidest user.
.ddma.SAY - http://www.didierma.com

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2007, 12:30 PM

A black case would be cool but not with that trim and the ugly keyboard.

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2007, 12:52 PM

This is just a mock up of Intel’s Metro platform - inferring any more information than that from this image is nonsensical:

Electronista | More Intel Metro details hint at Mac subnote

maxhedrum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2007, 03:44 PM

It is not a laptop computer. It is not even a photograph of an existing laptop computer.

The map is not the territory.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 26, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chaoticjoe View Post
That's vista for ya.
Good god man your sig is huge

Anyways, I'd like to get this computer and put Ubuntu on it

Teh sexy!
Signature depreciated.

rico
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by RickR View Post
My question, how hard it is to upgrade them? I've heard it isn't supposed to be done by a user but can be done. Will it void my warranty? I can't go without my laptop for long but if I went to a Apple store could they do it while I wait? Will they have these hard drive options available or can I take one of these drives in? I figured they have their own hard drives at a premium price.
Hey Rick,

It not hard to upgrade. I still have a 1.67GHz PB with DL SuperDrive as I'm holding out on upgrading until the end of 2007 or spring 2008. Anyway, I recently replaced my stock 80GB HDD with a Seagate 160GB HDD as I had all but 3GB's left on my original HDD.

My PB is still under AppleCare warranty for another 1.5 years so I didn't want to void my warranty. As long as you get an Apple Certified Technician to install the drive for you, your warranty will not be voided. Only thing is the Apple warranty will of course not cover the new HDD. I got this information first hand from an Apple Genius from one of the Apple Stores in Toronto.

The HDD replacement takes no time but it'll take a few hours for them to transfer all your data. I brought my PB in at around noon, and was picking it up at the end of the same day. Of course this will aslo depend on how busy they are. Total cost of upgrade to a 160GB HDD was CAD$209 (for the drive) and CAD$60 for one hour of labour (installing drive & transfering data).

Good luck,
eric

Super Mario
May 26, 2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Good god man your sig is huge

Anyways, I'd like to get this computer and put Ubuntu on it

Teh sexy!
I'd take Vista over Ubuntu. There's no point taking an OS that is 3 years behind OS X and Vista and installing it on a laptop six months ahead of us.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:45 PM. )

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 26, 2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I'd take Vista over Ubuntu. There's no point taking an OS that is 3 years behind OS X and Vista and installing it on a laptop six months ahead of us.
Have you seen Feisty? Sure its not as good as OS X but its damn good for a Linux distro.
Signature depreciated.

Super Mario
May 26, 2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Have you seen Feisty? Sure its not as good as OS X but its damn good for a Linux distro.
It's good for a Linux distro but that doesn't say much because it will always be behind OS X and Vista when it comes to supporting latest hardware. Here is just one example...

Here's a new pic of the same concept laptop. It's less than an inch thin and also has a screen on the back of the OLED for notifications, media playback, etc which is supported by Vista Sideshow.

Vista was looking ahead and supports this already. Now there's something Apple has to catch up on. Being able to keep your computer shut yet still be notified of email and browse your media library is choice whisky.

Ubuntu will takes ages to get to this level because they're still catching up with XP and OS X 10.2. Enough with the hype already. I know Ubuntu is free and today's "trendy" internet word to recite, but that's all it is for a notebook user. A free toy to look at for a day and then delete.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:46 PM. )

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2007, 01:00 AM

I agree that it's premature to say this is what the next MB Pro will be like -- however, I do really like the style. It definitely is inspired by the sleek simplicity of aluminum PowerBooks and MacBook Pros, but has a unique look of its own. Recently when I was out at some major electronic stores I browsed the current PC laptop offerings and they are impressively affordable. But it seems like most of the general consumer PC laptop market still has an old chunky and clunky look. As far as I'm concerned, any PC laptop maker that actually introduced something like this in the same price range would mop the floor with the competition. It's amazing that 10 years after the first iMac, computers look a bit better than they used to, yet hardly anyone but Apple is making equipment that really looks good.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 01:48 AM

I think it's awesome looking. It's just sad that it would be running the wrong OS.

If Apple made this design in the MacBook Pro's minus the gaudy back screen (Windows Sidebar. Screw it. It's tacky.) it would be so awesome. I love the idea of a really thin laptop. But it would have to still have an optical drive. Either that or come with a separate USB powered one that can sit at home and a larger HD (Flash based or disc. I don't care as long as it's high capacity. No substituting 160GB disc based for a dinky 40-80GB flash exclusive one.) for keeping my files with me.

I'll just get a cheap MacBook for now. Maybe in a couple years when the time to replace comes along Apple will have something like this.

Awesome design. Wrong OS. It pains me when I see an awesomely designed computer that runs Windows. It's just... sad.
( Last edited by Jasoco; May 29, 2007 at 01:56 AM. )

lordarka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2007, 04:20 AM

Ugh! I hate the glossiness. The whole glossy look makes the computers look cheap. A matte look would have gone a long way towards giving the machine a more upscale flavor.

I also don't like the fact that there's no optical drive.

Arka C.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 05:01 AM

Quick poll : How likely is Apple to put an outer screen on the MBP, which could run a widget for the same kind of thing as the MS Vista outer screen. (Dashboard preference: which widget do your want on the outer screen?)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

richwig83
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 05:34 AM

Would be quite cool to have itunes functionality from the external screen!!!

Having said that i prefer the the current mbp design!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Super Mario
May 29, 2007, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Quick poll : How likely is Apple to put an outer screen on the MBP, which could run a widget for the same kind of thing as the MS Vista outer screen. (Dashboard preference: which widget do your want on the outer screen?)
I would like to be told there is a software update when my lid is shut, or control iTunes with the lid shut, or check email, or recieve text messages, and other nifty sweet ideas. An external screen would be an extension of what we can do when we don't want our notebooks wide open in front of us. You know, like when we leave it closed and want to read a book or watch tv or eat supper.

Super Mario
May 29, 2007, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
It pains me when I see an awesomely designed computer that runs Windows. It's just... sad.
Vista is really good it pains me to say. Aero Glass looks much nicer than Aqua. Vista's only problem is the same problem XP had with all those pop up notices asking me stupid questions like am I sure I want to trash a file. I'm running Vista on low end Dell P4 2.66 Ghz with 512MBs and integrated graphics and it works very well with full effects. Need more ram though.

Way ahead of Ubuntu and would be almost as good as OS X if Microsoft gets rid of all the annoying dialog windows. I hope Leopard really is a major upgrade above this level.

Ado  (op)
Forum Regular
May 29, 2007, 06:19 AM

I agree with Mario bros...
Aqua is boring and old. All the console UI's look more modern as well.

osiris24x
May 29, 2007, 11:20 AM

I have to say, that looks sexy as hell. All I really want in a new MacBook Pro is a longer battery life and a docking port!
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2007, 11:39 AM

The one thing I find strange about the outside screen is that the only time my PowerBook is closed is when it's in my Backpack. I can't imagine when I'd use the outside screen.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Vista is really good it pains me to say. Aero Glass looks much nicer than Aqua. Vista's only problem is the same problem XP had with all those pop up notices asking me stupid questions like am I sure I want to trash a file.
So turn them off.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
May 29, 2007, 03:28 PM

The fact it weighs less than 3 lbs makes it drool-worthy for me. It's gorgeous, but don't forget this is an Intel prototype designed to "stimulate the conversation" about notebook design. Even if Apple starts producing these, I believe the design would undergo a serious Jonathan Ive makeover to better fit into the Apple family. It is pretty sexy to begin with though.

Super Mario
May 29, 2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
So turn them off.
I turned off automatic updates because damn thing always has something to download and rebooted the puter without asking me. Turned off the Are you sure you want to move this to recycle bin message. Don't know how to disable UAC messages.

btw, IE7 is bleeping fast! Windows Media Center would be sweet too but my intergrated graphics is only just fast enough for Aero Glass. I have to give it up for the new Solitaire too

Super Mario
May 29, 2007, 09:03 PM

The problem with getting slimmer and slimmer notebooks is that they make it harder to upgrade internal components. 2 years ago it looked like the industry was moving towards upgradable graphics cards. Alienware and Dell had them. Now everyone has gone in the opposite direction and we have lost that luxury before it began.

mkerr64
Senior User
May 29, 2007, 11:33 PM

note the keyboard doesnt have the Apple beside the alt key
just for some reason it doesnt look Apple at least to me

Few min later saw the Engadget some info

its some sort of Fujitsu concept
Fujitsu shows off "Fab PC" laptop concept - Engadget
( Last edited by mkerr64; May 29, 2007 at 11:44 PM. )
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Ado  (op)
Forum Regular
May 30, 2007, 01:00 AM

GUYS PLEASE NOTE:
I did not say this is the OFFICIAL announcement.
I said this "could" be.

Reason why i say this is because asus makes the macbooks, this intel laptop looks very mac-like and could easily be the next macbook design.

Who currently makes apples macbook pro line mobos and cases?
I know Apple buys the whole ipod from a manufacturer they contracted as well.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 04:52 AM

ASUS may assemble (some of) Apple's notebooks, but that doesn't mean they design them. Actually, Apple is known as a company that has required specific changes in manufacturing just so they can make certain design choices. They design and then find somebody that can assemble to their specs. That's the way this works. There is no reason to believe this concept notebook will have any influence on Apple's future designs.
( Last edited by Simon; May 30, 2007 at 05:11 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ado View Post
Who currently makes apples macbook pro line mobos and cases?
I think it's Quanta for the MBP and Foxconn for the MB, but Compal may have one of the contracts.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 04:56 AM

The MBP is produced by Quanta Computer. The MB is produced by ASUSTek Computer Inc. and Foxconn (Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd.)

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2007, 11:37 PM

There is a reason this was released by Intel and not the PC manufacturer's - they are too conservative.

Makes one wonder when Intel and Apple will truly work side-by-side on a new device - starting with the CPU, graphics, etc design, and ending with a fine-tuned form-factor.

I'm not sure I'd buy this machine, tho. I'm one where the 17" MBP does not seem too heavy or large, and this 15" seems trivial to use and move around. But for some, this smaller weight would be a big deal, I think.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 08:52 PM

I would definitely love Apple's laptops to go that direction. Thin, shiny, powerful, awesome. I am betting within a few years. Sadly just not so soon. If we're lucky, by the end of 2008 or mid-2009.

Forum Links
Forum Rules