Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > buying camera, which would you rather?

buying camera, which would you rather?
iREZ
Professional Poster
May 23, 2007, 12:17 PM

i've been wanting to replace my s500 canon for quite sometime now, and am really liking the following two

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/a550.html = $160

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a630.html = $190

i'm basically looking for a prosumer camera with the ability to handle large (15" x 20") print resolution. i use my current s500 for anything from family photos to design images and experimentation art. i'm sorta leaning towards the a630, but the a550 was more recently introduced and can do many of the things the a630 can (sans adjustable lcd, lcd size, and mp). which would you rather buy and why?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

OreoCookie
May 23, 2007, 12:32 PM

The optics will be the limiting factor, not megapixels. And at these prices, I'm afraid, you won't be able to expect much from either of them. You are getting a consumer camera, prosumer cameras are in a different region.

Now the good news: both will be good consumer cameras, point-n-click style. And probably you'll be able to blow up the picture considerably. But if you want a camera that's capable of making the best of a 15"x20" (= 38 x 51 cm^2) print, neither of them will do well if you have any `pro' ambitions. Again, if you just want a nice picture of your family and blow it up, you'll be fine.

Edit: If you want a prosumer camera, I think this is more akin to what you should be looking at.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2007, 07:57 PM

I'll have to second OreoCookies comment. $200 is not going to get you a "prosumer"(not that you can really define it) level camera. The consumer cams have been pushing higher megapixels, but it's pretty pointless when they stick with relatively the same optics that have been used since 1-2MP cams due to size constraints. You'll be able to get big prints without pixelization, but you won't get the super sharp shots you might get with a DSLR.

I would consider the "prosumer" cams starting out with true DSLR cams. I feel your pain on the pricing though, I saved up and bought a Nikon D50 on a college student budget.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 23, 2007, 08:00 PM

I'd agree... maybe think about a D40 or a Rebel XT?

ImpulseResponse

OreoCookie
May 23, 2007, 08:12 PM

Well, just another line: I think your current camera will feel nicer than the cameras you're looking at now (metal as opposed to plastic). The extra megapixels won't be of any use to you as the optics are the limiting factor. So either keep the camera you have now or invest at least twice as much in a really nice camera (and go for a (pseudo-)slr).

A friend of mine had the S400 and I thought it was a very nice and well-made camera.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2007, 08:27 PM

My youth pastor uses the A630 for all of his stuff... it works very well. Good quality. I'd get it.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2007, 08:48 PM

It would be a waste of money to sidegrade from what you currently have.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2007, 12:22 AM

There is no such thing as a prosumer camera for $200. Maybe in another two or three years, but not now. You get what you pay for.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 11:00 PM

well i use the term prosumer with the idea that the camera is built for a consumer with a few professional options such as shutter speeds, iso settings, etc...

i dont think i need a dslr because i basically want to be able to print out larger prints than what i'm capable of now.

i know that anything under 200 bucks isnt gonna get me much, i just wanted to know which of these two you guys would recommend.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
May 24, 2007, 11:49 PM

Neither; I would spend more for the A570. It's got the full manual controls that the A630 has and the smaller size of the A550, and it has image stabilization, too (which is useful when it actually works).
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

OreoCookie
May 25, 2007, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
i dont think i need a dslr because i basically want to be able to print out larger prints than what i'm capable of now.

i know that anything under 200 bucks isnt gonna get me much, i just wanted to know which of these two you guys would recommend.
That's why you do need a camera with a better lens which limits the choices considerably: either a dslr, a pseudo-dslr or something along the lines of a Canon G6.

The cameras you're looking at probably won't give you any increase in effective resolution! IMHO you'd just waste $200.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2007, 06:59 AM

I just bought a new DSLR and will be selling my old Olympus E-20 soon. It's a five year old 5 megapixel camera, but it has an excellent lens and all of the features you could ask for - it was marketed as a pro camera when it first came out, and cost around $1900. It's in used but good condition, meaning the body shows sign of use but everything works perfectly. The lens has been protected with a UV filter from the day I got the camera, so no scratches of any kind.

I am hoping to get about $250 for it, I am confident that it beats pretty much any sub-$500 camera on market today. if you're interested send me a PM.

A recent picture taken with the Olympus:
( Last edited by Mastrap; May 25, 2007 at 07:05 AM. )

OreoCookie
May 25, 2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I just bought a new DSLR and will be selling my old Olympus E-20 soon. It's a five year old 5 megapixel camera, but it has an excellent lens and all of the features you could ask for - it was marketed as a pro camera when it first came out, and cost around $1900. It's in used but good condition, meaning the body shows sign of use but everything works perfectly. The lens has been protected with a UV filter from the day I got the camera, so no scratches of any kind.
I've had this camera for three years, I've taken some great pictures with it. Very good lens, extremely robust (I nicknamed mine `weapon of choice' for it really could be used as a weapon ).

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2007, 01:46 PM

hrmm...my cuz just got a new slr and was willing to give me a good deal on his e-20n. you guys think this is a smart buy? i think i could snag it off him for $200 even and it includes an extended battery pack along with some other extra goodies.

OreoCookie
Jun 1, 2007, 02:13 PM

That sounds like a very good deal. I've had an E-20 for several years and it's absolutely silent (it has a fixed prism, not a mirror), a large viewfinder and very good optics. The battery grip is a useful extra as this camera eats batteries for breakfast.

And let me emphasize one more time: this baby is built like a tank. If any Nikon D200 or Canon 30D owner is bragging, hit 'em hard with an E-20. It's solid metal and my weapon of choice for three years.

Jun 1, 2007, 02:42 PM

Great thread right up my alley.

Thinking of getting the Nikon D80.

Any thoughts about it would be greatly appreciated.

OreoCookie
Jun 1, 2007, 03:01 PM

I got mine after a brief interlude with a D70. I love it: huge viewfinder, very silent, and lightning fast. You won't regret it, Cody.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2007, 03:05 PM

The Nikon D80 is a very well built camera, I have the D50 right now, and I had a chance to demo the D80 at a local bestbuy. Although it has more features, it is a lot lighter, and feels better in your hands, it is a great size, the D100 < start to get very heavy. I would get it if I had the money...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2007, 04:48 PM

I was all set to get myself a D80 myself and walked out of the store with a Pentax K10. The K10 has most of the features of the Nikon D200 at a D80 price. Beautiful camera, and has just won the TIPA award for it's class:

Best Entry Level D-SLR - Nikon D40x
Best Expert D-SLR - Pentax K10D
Best Pro D-SLR - Canon EOS 1D MkIII

Best Rangefinder - Leica M8 (provided you use an IR filter all the time!)
Best Compact Camera - Nikon Coolpix P5000
Best Ultra-Compact Camera - Fuji Finepix Z5fd
Best Superzoom Digital Camera - Panasonic Lumix DMC - TZ3

Best Entry Level Lens - Nikon AF-S DX 55-200mm f4-5.6G IF-ED
Best Expert Lens - Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro
Best Pro Lens - Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 II USM

Best Accessory - Manfrotto 190XPROB

Best Photo Software - Apple Aperture 1.5

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2007, 05:45 PM

I dont think some people realize that there are other decent cameras out there besides canon and nikon, if I hadn't received the nikon as a gift, I would have gone with pentax, for the reasons you mentioned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules