Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > modding my boombox electronic guru help needed.

modding my boombox electronic guru help needed.
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2008, 09:02 PM

I have and old boombox that I want to mod the cassette player to accept input from my ipod. Yes I know that there are cassette adapters out there but I was thinking if its possible to cut and splice the 3 wires that leave the cassette head and run them into an audio jack for the ipod?

I'm not sure if the signal coming from the cassette head is actual audio or is a signal that gets converted into sound somewhere on the circuit board, the latter voiding my idea completely.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2008, 11:08 PM

These signals from the playhead are going into an amplifier chip. Trace out the connections, google the amplifier chip. Connect your wires at the chip, or at convenient solder points that are continuous on the paths to the chip. drill a small hole and put a jack on the case of the player. get a 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable and plug into it - you won't need to strain relief that way.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 08:50 AM

interesting mod. thanks! i might have to do that as well. the box i take for camping has both cassette and cd player (plays mp3 cds). but even with 6 or so cds filled with 80 mp3s, it is no match for the fellow campers that all have ipods and huge playlists.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2008, 09:25 AM

Yeah that should work. This sounds like a superior solution to using a cassette adaptor because you don't need to bother with all the motors and switches rattling the cassette around in order to play anything.

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2008, 10:57 AM

]Is this the chip you are referring to vmarks? Its on of them on the board. Sorry im a little lost....

http://datasheet.digchip.com/406/406...-BH3854AFS.pdf

EDIT!!

I found another chip "system preamplifier for cassette deck " is this the chip you are referring to as "amplifier chip"??

here
( Last edited by tkmd; Jul 18, 2008 at 11:24 AM. )
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Forum Links
Forum Rules