Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > The sudden influx of new members...

The sudden influx of new members...
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 4, 2009, 02:11 AM

...in the Lounge is ruining MacNN. Where I come from, new members are timid and pay their dues before becoming all "confident" and "smart." What can be done about this problem?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2009, 02:33 AM

Freshman hazings?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jan 4, 2009, 04:27 AM

Interestingly enough, Jan. 2, 2009 seems to be a date many, if not all, of them have in common. Also looks like Cold Warrior is already on it.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2009, 04:29 AM

Apart from spammers...

Perhaps the regulars aren't setting a good enough example?

If the noobies see that snotty posting or harassement are common here, they will not hesitate to post in that way themselves. If they see polite and respectful posts they will probably think twice about posting in another fashion.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2009, 04:58 AM

A few females too.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2009, 07:49 PM

Personally, I think we should implement similar rules to the Lounge that we have on the Marketplace.

This is primarily a Mac user forum. The Lounge (and, by extension, the PWL) exist for the whole community feeling of the forum. There's no good reason why brand new users should be posting in the Lounge - especially not the PWL.

So why not say that users need at least 100 posts before they can post in the Lounge and PWL? That way, people don't join solely to post inane comments in a Lounge thread (or two or five).
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Wahnsinn View Post
Interestingly enough, Jan. 2, 2009 seems to be a date many, if not all, of them have in common. Also looks like Cold Warrior is already on it.
They all have the Twilight thread in common, too.

I agree on the minimum posts before people are allowed Lounge access. But I think it should be lower, between 20-50. That should be enough to keep out the riff-raff.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I agree on the minimum posts before people are allowed Lounge access. But I think it should be lower, between 20-50. That should be enough to keep out the riff-raff.
Hmm, perhaps a minimum and a maximum post level! Sort of like forced retirement...

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2009, 10:54 PM

I agree.

Not many people would stick around for 100 posts without the Lounge. I think my first ten or so posts were probably in the technical forums, but since then, not so much.

Carla V.
Jan 4, 2009, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Apart from spammers...
If the noobies see that snotty posting or harassement are common here, they will not hesitate to post in that way themselves. If they see polite and respectful posts they will probably think twice about posting in another fashion.
I couldn't agree more, some of you have been a bit aggresive, personally I wouldn't bitch around if people were just talking about a certain topic. But when all threads I see end up in personal criticism I see no respect going around.
You know what? I kind of love it here anyway, it's good that you stand up for something and at least this is one thread all of you agree upon
I'll go to your other forums and see what else is there, I've already seen a few and they seem pretty interesting...
Oh and please forget twilight, if you want to make every "fake noob" go away, stopping that thread would be a nice start

thechidz
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Personally, I think we should implement similar rules to the Lounge that we have on the Marketplace.

This is primarily a Mac user forum. The Lounge (and, by extension, the PWL) exist for the whole community feeling of the forum. There's no good reason why brand new users should be posting in the Lounge - especially not the PWL.

So why not say that users need at least 100 posts before they can post in the Lounge and PWL? That way, people don't join solely to post inane comments in a Lounge thread (or two or five).
this would kill this forum.
Bow chicka bow-wow

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2009, 11:59 PM

They all have the Twilight thread in common, too.)
Yes, that darn honeypot needs to be eliminated ASAP.

-t

Railroader
Banned
Jan 5, 2009, 12:05 AM

Apart from spammers...

The irony here is astounding.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 5, 2009, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
False. But a bunch of annoying new people joining just to defend a lame teen drama and staying to push away all of the quality long-time members would kill this forum.

Originally Posted by Carla V. View Post
I couldn't agree more, some of you have been a bit aggresive, personally I wouldn't bitch around if people were just talking about a certain topic. But when all threads I see end up in personal criticism I see no respect going around.
You know what? I kind of love it here anyway, it's good that you stand up for something and at least this is one thread all of you agree upon
I'll go to your other forums and see what else is there, I've already seen a few and they seem pretty interesting...
Oh and please forget twilight, if you want to make every "fake noob" go away, stopping that thread would be a nice start
The theory that someone posted a link of people here bashing Twilight on a Twilight fan-forum doesn't seem to far-fetched to me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The theory that someone posted a link of people here bashing Twilight on a Twilight fan-forum doesn't seem to far-fetched to me.
BINGO.

Finally a good explanation what's going on.

Even more a reason to sink that thread into oblivion.

For the first time ever, I'm actually FOR deleting the whole thread, not only closing it.

-t

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2009, 01:22 AM

Yes, please.. Could someone delete that thread? This is getting scaring.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2009, 02:30 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_MJaFzycU0

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
I read this every single time somebody suggests a change here.

I support the 100 posts idea.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Carla V. View Post
Oh, come ON. You "love it here" after, what, 36 hours of membership? That's kind of a stretch, don't you think?
( Last edited by shifuimam; Jan 9, 2009 at 12:01 PM. )
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 09:05 AM

Isn't generating new memberships the goal of MacNN? Who cares if a bunch of people sign up, are people afraid their comfy lounge forum will change?

I've never heard of twilight and to be honest, I didn't even look at that thread until this thread was created. I think its a bad idea to delete/lock an ongoing thread just because the people who are posting there are new members. Its heavy handed and flies in the face of what the lounge is supposed to be.
~Mike

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2009, 11:03 AM

Oh my god, you guys are actually serious. I thought this was a joke.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
I've never heard of twilight and to be honest, I didn't even look at that thread until this thread was created. I think its a bad idea to delete/lock an ongoing thread just because the people who are posting there are new members. Its heavy handed and flies in the face of what the lounge is supposed to be.
a) The thread starter requested it.

b) Those "new" members are recruited on a Twilight fansite to come here to "do something about those Twilight haters at 'NN".

c) Heavy handed ? Yes, and for once, I'm all FOR a deletion, although I'm normally against deleting anything.

-t

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
a) The thread starter requested it.
I missed that
b) Those "new" members are recruited on a Twilight fansite to come here to "do something about those Twilight haters at 'NN".
So what, the thread will go stale and people will stop posting to it
c) Heavy handed ? Yes, and for once, I'm all FOR a deletion, although I'm normally against deleting anything.
I'm not for it, and who cares if a bunch of pro-twilight fans come out of the wood work to support/refute the thread here. Just skip of the thread, in the lounge. I've largely ignored it and that's worked well.
~Mike

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2009, 12:16 PM

Arguments here and there and the thread is still there

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 12:32 PM

Just skip of the thread, in the lounge. I've largely ignored it and that's worked well.
Did you miss that they started infesting other threads ?

-t

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2009, 01:05 PM

-t
Infesting is a very strong word. Some have actually made tech comments on the other forums.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 01:15 PM

I read this every single time somebody I suggests a change here.
That's better.

Isn't generating new memberships the goal of MacNN? Who cares if a bunch of people sign up, are people afraid their comfy lounge forum will change?
I'd say generating ad revenue is the goal of MacNN. And a bunch of lame, temporary members driving away previously committed, long-term members is to the detriment of MacNN.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2009, 01:43 PM

-t
Yup.

Yeah, I’d noticed a couple of new members here and there, but nothing much out of the ordinary, really. I’d just guessed they were probably new Mac users who’d gotten a MacBook for Christmas or something. Not having read the Twilight thread, I hadn’t noticed anyone ‘infesting’ anything.

I don’t think deleting the thread would be necessary, though a lock might be in order. Let’s not forget, this forum isn’t innocent of recruiting people off to some thread on some other forum to gang up on haters of something (before someone says it: no, I don’t have specific links. I can’t remember what these threads were about, but I’m fairly sure I remember it happening at least twice), so stones and glass houses and all that, eh?

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jan 5, 2009, 02:05 PM

This whole fiasco seems a bit xenophobic to me. I think we should grant a little more time to see if any of these newbs adjust. The way I see it, the ones who can be productive members will stick around, but the square pegs will likely fall off when their a.d.d. kicks it.
are you lightfooted?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 02:19 PM

-t
omg, you mean to tell me they're actually posting here at MacNN? What is this world coming to. We should ban everyone and not allow any new posts.

Seriously do you know how bad that sounds, new members posting in other threads.
~Mike

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 02:22 PM

By the way, if they're hijacking threads, belittling other member's posts, making off color remarks and generally crapping on threads they'll fit right in with the rest of members here.
~Mike

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 02:25 PM

I think the issue is not that they're posting at all, it's the content of their posting and their attitudes. I think most everyone here would welcome new forum members, but it's pretty clear that these are Twilight fangirls that were directed here from another forum. I'd be shocked if even 1/4 of them owned a Mac.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2009, 02:28 PM

So this is where the party is?

The new members don't bother me, but I think there should be a post minimum of at least 100 before Lounge Access.
I think I had 1000 before I even stepped into it. And by it, I mean the Lounge.

Furthermore, I think hazing should be allowed. The internet makes this difficult, but I think that if we ask our newest members to partake in some dress-wearing endeavor we'll be forced into taking their word that they are in fact honoring our request. Or something.

How about cartoonish avatars for the noobz?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2009, 02:31 PM

Yeah, the vehemence being displayed here is getting kind of weird. The newbies' defensiveness was irritating to me, too, but I think it's pretty much a draw at this point.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 02:38 PM

omg, you mean to tell me they're actually posting here at MacNN? What is this world coming to. We should ban everyone and not allow any new posts.
Yes, you are right We definitely need more of this in the Lounge:

Originally Posted by lyanma View Post
i know a bunch of guys liked it too, but more girls than boys seem to like it, so im just telling that guy to stop being homophobic cuz there are a lot of girls posting<3 (:
Originally Posted by iLoveYouNOT View Post
hellooooooooooooo =) <3<3<3 this movie , even tho i might be the only girl thinkin ed cullen isnt hot -_-
Originally Posted by karolie View Post
oh oh ladiessss !!!
Looks like sek929 and turtle777 dont feel "comfortable " around girls :O
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan to badddddd
because we are staying forever and ever and ever and ever aaaaaaaaaaaand ever .. like Sherk and Fiona
so yes .. you guys are stuck with us
Happy new year by the way
ohoh and YES we use mac.
And No! we are not spam
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh !!
hold her back (h)
moahahahahahah !
btw. i agree with Carla <3
HERE: Carla V's Fan Club
yay ! <3

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 03:16 PM

Their posts reek of myspace/AIM asshattery...I'm sorry but that sh!t won't fly here.

For all Simon's concern about this being a strictly tech-related forum he's been very welcoming of these 'members' even though they joined to defend a movie in the lounge. Seems to me like he is siding with them simply because they annoy members he's annoyed with.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 5, 2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I read this every single time somebody I suggests a change here.
That's better.
I was SO going to do the exact same post!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
For all Simon's concern about this being a strictly tech-related forum he's been very welcoming of these 'members' even though they joined to defend a movie in the lounge. Seems to me like he is siding with them simply because they annoy members he's annoyed with.
Well hey, the result of that thread was that a majority of the people who voiced their opinion was in favor of the lounge an all the non-tech social baloney in there. I think the thread in question here is an excellent example of the consequences. That's the flip side of allowing a lot of personal nonsense in what should be a board first and foremost about the Mac.

And for the record, I'm siding with nobody. I do support the 100 post idea which would prevent total newcomers from posting in the lounge. That's it. But quite honestly, I'm greatly amused when the same people who regularly trash talk other members suddenly take so much offense when noobs act according to that example. I am really enjoying the drama.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 06:00 PM

I do support the 100 post idea which would prevent total newcomers from posting in the lounge.

Maybe we should think of the Lounge as a privilege, not a right.

-t

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 06:05 PM

Well hey, the result of that thread was that a majority of the people who voiced their opinion was in favor of the lounge an all the non-tech social baloney in there. I think the thread in question here is an excellent example of the consequences. That's the flip side of allowing a lot of personal nonsense in what should be a board first and foremost about the Mac.

And for the record, I'm siding with nobody. I do support the 100 post idea which would prevent total newcomers from posting in the lounge. That's it. But quite honestly, I'm greatly amused when the same people who regularly trash talk other members suddenly take so much offense when noobs act according to that example. I am really enjoying the drama.
No, you're misinterpreting our irritation. I never complained about anyone trash-talking. I complained about new members posting utter garbage - see turtle's post for examples. I don't care if it's off-topic, if it's insulting, or if it's rude, as long as I know where it's coming from. But when new members join and post with such poor spelling, grammar, formatting, and content something should be done.

Also, one poster has openly admitted to lying about being 13 or older.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 06:07 PM

Maybe we should think of the Lounge as a privilege, not a right.
Sounds reasonable.

How about a privilege people earn after they have displayed mature, civil and amicable behavior?

Of course, I know that it won't be long before somebody lectures me that
a) this would destroy the board
b) civil discussions are lame
c) I'm worse than Hitler
But I've heard all of those several times already. And it's becoming somewhat boring. So I would really appreciate it if the rebuttals showed a bit more originality this time.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 06:08 PM

Also, one poster has openly admitted to lying about being 13 or older.
Say it aint so!

I have this bad feeling that might not be the only lie that has been told on this board.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 06:24 PM

Say it aint so!

I have this bad feeling that might not be the only lie that has been told on this board.
That's probably true; however, the board's management needs to act on that, because they might be in trouble if something bad happens. Say this girl gets her feelings hurt, and the parents are a litigious bunch - voila, recipe for trouble.

-t

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2009, 06:50 PM

I will point out that this isn't the first time this has happened here. There have been instances in the past where a thread attracts outside attention, and a bunch of people from another forum rush in and register so they could make their view known. They usually don't stick around long. Some do stay, and there is one I can think of that did and remained a pain in the nether regions for a good long time. Others have stayed and been contributing members. I really think the Twilight fans will lose interest soon enough. I would appreciate it if someone would be so kind as to PM me the user name of the person that was dumb enough to post that they lied about their age so that can be handled.

And of course, as always, the same rules apply to the noobs as apply to you mob. If they are derailing posts or posting personal attacks or any other such verboten nonsense, hit the report post button and they will be dealt with.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 07:00 PM

Of course, I know that it won't be long before somebody lectures me that
a) this would destroy the board
b) civil discussions are lame
c) I'm worse than Hitler
But I've heard all of those several times already. And it's becoming somewhat boring. So I would really appreciate it if the rebuttals showed a bit more originality this time.
A 100 post limit would most certainly destroy the lounge. 15 to 20 posts, tops.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Wahnsinn View Post
Also looks like Cold Warrior is already on it.
Where did you see that?

Cold Warrior
Jan 5, 2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Where did you see that?
I believe that remark was in reference to my comment on the suspicion that they weren't legit members.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2009, 07:22 PM

The age issue has been dealt with and referred to the admins for final determination. Thank you for your cooperation. You may now return to whatever the hell it is you people do.
Nemo me impune lacesset

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
You may now return to whatever the hell it is you people do.
Best post of the decade™

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 08:09 PM

What I think is lame is getting worked up over this stuff. What if the next Dakar, Laminar, turtle, shifuimam, osiris, or besson3c comes from this Twilight forum place? You never know, they may not all be MySpace asshats (although I highly doubt that any of them are as awesome as me).

But more importantly than this, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. Micro-managing this forum just requires waaayy too much effort, and it's almost always wasted and misdirected energy. Just treat this place like your play place, and treat your toys with respect. This is only a forum, after all, where none of this really matters a whole lot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules