Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Battery Issue

MBP Battery Issue
j.schless
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2008, 07:13 PM

Like lots of other people with MBP mine has been shutting down with no warning when the battery is around 50-60%. In the system profiler in the power tab the health info the condition of the battery says to check battery. Does this mean that I need a new battery?

ibook_steve
Dec 5, 2008, 08:00 PM

Yes.

But first go to an Apple store to see if you can get the free exchange (they'll check your serial number). If not, I recommend FastMac's high capacity battery. I got one a few weeks ago, and I'm actually getting the battery life I expect and then some (3-4 hours instead of barely 1-2).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2008, 07:53 AM

The battery could be fine, just reporting improperly. Every few dozen recharges it is a good idea to let L-ion batteries fully discharge in order for capacity monitors to report properly.

-Allen Wicks

ibook_steve
Dec 10, 2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
The battery could be fine, just reporting improperly. Every few dozen recharges it is a good idea to let L-ion batteries fully discharge in order for capacity monitors to report properly.

-Allen Wicks
Unfortunately, this is not the case with the MBP battery problems. If System Profiler says "Check battery" and the machine is shutting down unexpectedly, the battery has a problem that cannot be fixed by the usual methods.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2008, 08:52 AM

1) recalibrate battery
2) reset PRAM and PMU
3) have battery replaced

In that order.

If you are still under warranty make sure to check your cycle count and capacity. If your cycle count is below 300 and your battery cannot retain 80% of its original charge your will get a free replacement.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2008, 04:36 PM

OT, I know, but thanks Simon - I'm at 86% on 98 cycles after just over 9 months. Although I haven't calibrated in a while. I'll do so tonight, so will let you know how I get on after!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Carla V.
Jan 4, 2009, 11:50 PM

It might mean you need a new battery, but it might mean a couple other ulgy problems so take it to an Apple Store and get it checked. Try calibrating regularly to improve battery life

Forum Links
Forum Rules