Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ditch cable TV; one tv box that does it all? suggestions?

ditch cable TV; one tv box that does it all? suggestions?
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 10:40 AM

I really would like to ditch cable TV and its bi-yearly price hikes.

I was hoping that someone out there may have some suggestions on a ROKU (or something similar) that has the ability to play my streaming Netflix and HULU and allow me to watch "cable shows" and the occasional dl from the internet... Youtube is NOT something I really care about.

I initially thought of apple tv but am really turned off by its lock to itunes. Then there is ROKU but AFAIK it only does netflix...

Certainly a mac mini could accomplish these tasks but I dont want the hassle (and $$) of having a keyboard and mouse near the TV just to navigate to hulu or netflix and no remote....
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2009, 10:47 AM

not the full answer to your question; but i use my PS3 to watch Hulu. no keyboard/mouse. just use the sony remote. i've downloaded a few things to watch later too; movies, trailers, etc from other sites. i don't have it streaming my mac/pc content at this time though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 25, 2009, 10:48 AM

A Mini (or Apple TV) + boxee would do exactly what you want. No keyboard or mouse required, everything is controlled via the Apple Remote. Unfortunately, Hulu support was removed from boxee earlier this week, but I'm sure that can't last too long. I believe boxee is capable of pulling from NetFlix, and it organizes any videos you have on your computer. I'm pretty sure it has the ability to download torrents as well, if you're interested in downloading anything made legally available.

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
A Mini (or Apple TV) + boxee would do exactly what you want. No keyboard or mouse required, everything is controlled via the Apple Remote. Unfortunately, Hulu support was removed from boxee earlier this week, but I'm sure that can't last too long. I believe boxee is capable of pulling from NetFlix, and it organizes any videos you have on your computer. I'm pretty sure it has the ability to download torrents as well, if you're interested in downloading anything made legally available.

Thats very interesting but I am concerned about going out getting a Atv then hacking it to get BOXEE on there only for apple to sw update it and now I'm back to the itunes BS... would a mini circumvent the hacking?

EDIT OOOPS it looks like apple just destroyed boxees on an update to Atv is AM (aTV gets updated to 3.2.1)
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 25, 2009, 11:00 AM

Yep, no hacking required for the Mini. A basic Core Duo mini should handle HD video just fine. I'm not sure about the Core Solo, though.

Cold Warrior
Feb 25, 2009, 11:50 AM

Generally there's been a short lag between updates breaking hacks and the hacks getting updated to work with the update. The best solution (apart from buying a Mini) is to wait a couple weeks on your Apple TV update until it's sorted out.

mweitzel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2009, 11:52 AM

... Boxee, Plex and XBMC are the choices that I've come across. All three are based on the open-source XBox Media Centre project.

Boxee and XBMC are certainly also available on Linux, which might make a nice minimal install and an 'appliance' like user experience. You could try the XBMC Live CD to see whether all the hardware is supported...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by mweitzel View Post
Boxee and XBMC are certainly also available on Linux, which might make a nice minimal install and an 'appliance' like user experience. You could try the XBMC Live CD to see whether all the hardware is supported...
Yeah, but then you have to deal with Linux. I spent an entire day trying to get the screen resolution correct on my roommate's PC running Ubuntu and boxee. I finally gave up and installed OS X onto it in a couple hours, everything displayed perfectly automatically.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2009, 12:30 PM

Just to throw a curveball in...

Forget TV. Download your viewing. Then grab a couple USB sticks and a WD TV so you can watch it all on your main box. Works a treat.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 02:20 PM

XBox 360. Arcade version is cheap enough and it'll stream from your Mac with Connect360. Does Netflix and has it's own marketplace too if you add on a HD.

Unlike the PS3 it also has an IR port for a proper remote.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post

Not that this invalidates your recommendation, but you can get a USB IR port with an IR remote for the PS3 for about 20USD, which IIUC is about what you'd have to pay to get the MS IR remote.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
XBox 360. Arcade version is cheap enough and it'll stream from your Mac with Connect360. Does Netflix and has it's own marketplace too if you add on a HD.

Well then you'd have to count the cost of a Connect360 license and a hard drive in the cost of the system.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2009, 03:12 PM

I have a C2D mini hooked up to my 1080p tv and it's great. I use it as my DVD player, DVR via EyeTV, Netflix Streaming player, Hulu player and more. I use the remote for most stuff and when a remote doesn't do it, I just use my laptop to control it via Leopard's Screen Sharing. I don't have a keyboard nor mouse connected to it. The only time I touch the mini is when I'm watching a DVD.
Vandelay Industries

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 03:48 PM

I have this PS3 keyboard for my Mini. Bluetooth and built-in trackpad make couch-surfing easy.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Well then you'd have to count the cost of a Connect360 license and a hard drive in the cost of the system.
Sure, but you can get 360 with a hard drive pretty cheap, and Connect360 is only like $20.

I use it and it works great, even better now that iTunes is going DRM free. I even rip my DVD's into my computer and stream them to the 360. If you're ripping and streaming, you're not even using any HD space on the 360.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Not that this invalidates your recommendation, but you can get a USB IR port with an IR remote for the PS3 for about 20USD, which IIUC is about what you'd have to pay to get the MS IR remote.
Sure, but I use a higher end Harmony which I had before I got the 360. So for me, it was $20 vs. no $.

If you followed the PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii thread I was already bias against the PS3 to begin with, but still...

Forum Links
Forum Rules