Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > any Beejive users out there? a question.

any Beejive users out there? a question.
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2009, 02:37 PM

I am interested in getting beejive (since apple can't seem to make an ichat client for ipodtouch for us that have .mac )

I was watching the instructional video and it seems (correct me if im wrong) that "push" notifications are given to you via email? I thought the whole idea of "push" was to avoid the email and go right to the icon ?
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2009, 02:54 PM

The new Beejive, together with OS 3.0, will deliver push notification.

But you should check out the AIM app, it was just updated, also offering push notification. It should work with .mac handles.

-t

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2009, 03:01 PM

Beejive for me has had a hell of a time trying to keep up with push. I went back to the paid AIM app from AOL since it has landscape now and that was working much better.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2009, 04:30 PM

Haven't received any push yet from Beejive. Servers just be jammed with messages.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2009, 09:52 PM

Push works great on the AIM app. I'm using the free one... What is the difference between the free one and the $2.99 one?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Push works great on the AIM app. I'm using the free one... What is the difference between the free one and the $2.99 one?
Paid app has Landscape keyboard. Not sure if the free one does.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2009, 11:25 PM

And I read that landscape is coming to the free version soon.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2009, 02:11 AM

Push notifications on Beejive have been working perfectly for me since the moment I updated to Beejive 3.0. Messages come in as fast or faster (it seems) then my Exchange push emails. I really can't say enough good things about this app. I haven't spent much time on the AIM app, as MSN is my primary IM service, but Beejive is slick, responsive and as good as any desktop IM program I've used, imho.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2009, 05:15 AM

Wait .. can someone explain to me how BeejiveIM use notifications? I'm reading various different results from e-mail messages to what I expected..a badge on the iPhone telling you the message.

Anyone have any screenshots?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2009, 06:08 AM

Just saw a tweet saying that Beejive was removed from the App Store. Huh?

Now I can't even get my copy to work. I think I'm going to use IM+ which seems like a nice app with a cleaner interface.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2009, 09:05 AM

My copy is working just fine, and I can still see it on the App Store. Of course, no one has yet to message me, so I don't know how well push notifications are working. . .
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2009, 09:13 AM

I just decided to buy Beejive yesterday since then:

I get a constant spinning wheel (ie always in a state of connecting) then crash.
When it did work (for a brief couple of hours) texts come late sometimes up to 3 hours late. What "push" are they talking about?
And now they have pulled the app from the store. Nice.

Does this mean I can pull my $9.99 from beejives coffers?
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2009, 09:15 AM

As I just noted, BeeJive shows up on the App store for me. I don't know why you can't see it. That's just strange.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2009, 05:17 PM

Push worked for me today - for the first time. Was pretty cool. Also got an AP News message.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2009, 08:04 PM

I just purchased BeejiveIM for my iPhone (a 16GB 3G running the 3.0 update) and am very happy with it. Push is working great for AIM and Google chats so far. (Those are the only services I've had an opportunity to test yet.) It also launches much faster than the official AIM.

It's not free, but I think it's well worth a $10 one-time fee to have push notifications for all my IM services in one nice app. The txt fees I will save over time by scaling back my SMS use will be far more than the $10 cost.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jun 29, 2009, 01:10 PM

Does beejive keep you logged into any service indefinitely or does it time-out/log you out after a certain amount of time if you don't open the app or get messages (AIM can set max 24 hrs)?

thanks.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by iamnotmad View Post
Does beejive keep you logged into any service indefinitely or does it time-out/log you out after a certain amount of time if you don't open the app or get messages (AIM can set max 24 hrs)?

thanks.
24 hours is the max amount of time it will keep you logged in after you close the app. It's my pet peeve, though I understand why they feel it's necessary. Too bad that they couldn't extend that to like 72 hours, though.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jul 1, 2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
24 hours is the max amount of time it will keep you logged in after you close the app. It's my pet peeve, though I understand why they feel it's necessary. Too bad that they couldn't extend that to like 72 hours, though.
Thanks for the response. That's what I thought even though Beejive support told me, in an email exchange, specifically that you can stay logged in indefinitely.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2009, 02:19 PM

There's nothing Beejive can do it about it, unfortunately.

Forum Links
Forum Rules