Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Buying advice

Buying advice
KittyKatLover1211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2011, 09:36 PM

Hi everyone

Long time lurker first time poster

Im a college student with a network engineering/admin major. I bought a Late 2007 MacBook in early 2008. I upgraded to 4GB Of Ram immediately, and earlier this year I put in a 500GB Internal Hard Drive. I mainly use the MacBook as a desktop, It spends most of my time on my desk hooked to a big LCD with keyboard and mouse. Ive really been contemplating selling the MacBook and getting an iMac and iPad.

So to all you college students- how many of you use iPads for college purposes. I take my MacBook to class, But all I do is web, occasional email, and homework on it, At home its a different story, It gets used to its full potential. As far as the iPad goes, it looks like it will work good for what I need, Just would like some input on my idea of getting an iMac and selling the MacBook and getting an iPad.

Thanks

Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2011, 10:07 PM

I think this is a very reasonable idea. My GF basically has the same setup (except she has a MacBook Pro that she keeps in her dorm), it works well for her, and means that her bag is much lighter.

Don't expect to be able to type/write notes on an iPad unless you carry around a keyboard. All of the capacitive pens out there are ill suited for the purpose of note taking.

KittyKatLover1211  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 11011001 View Post
I think this is a very reasonable idea. My GF basically has the same setup (except she has a MacBook Pro that she keeps in her dorm), it works well for her, and means that her bag is much lighter.

Don't expect to be able to type/write notes on an iPad unless you carry around a keyboard. All of the capacitive pens out there are ill suited for the purpose of note taking.
My other option is to keep the MacBook and just get an iPad, Its a pretty nice set up and seems to work well. Im thinking I may be able to get another 2-3 years out of it. Shes darn fast, only thing is the 13 inch screen is the killer, The iPads UI is much more suited to the smaller screen.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2011, 10:51 PM

I don't have an iPad, but I've taken the Galaxy Tab to class a few times and it's really handy to have a tablet device to carry around rather than my heavy MacBook Pro. Another pro of a tablet: I can put all of my readings for classes on them, whether Kindle or PDF.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 23, 2011, 11:31 PM

Back in my day we didn't have fancy tablets to take to class with us. I did use my iPod touch for similar purposes, though - web, email, games, etc. during class and it was much more convenient than carrying around my iBook. And the battery life was much better.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2011, 11:33 PM

I used my iPod touch for Kindle too.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Back in my day we didn't have fancy tablets to take to class with us. I did use my iPod touch for similar purposes, though - web, email, games, etc. during class and it was much more convenient than carrying around my iBook. And the battery life was much better.
Did the teachers not mind? With a laptop at least you can make it look like you are taking notes, but I don't see how students with tablets/ipods feel comfortable using them in classes.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

KittyKatLover1211  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Did the teachers not mind? With a laptop at least you can make it look like you are taking notes, but I don't see how students with tablets/ipods feel comfortable using them in classes.
My Prof is the same teacher for both classes. When she lectures she wants screens off, and Ive been caught a half a dozen times with my macbook on typing away, or have the powerpoint slides up. At least with the iPad she cant see it A few others in my class have iPads, they love it, and they dont get caught. Another positive is our school is going to make all our textbooks available via epub and kindle format, so no more carrying heavy books to class. Plus its 10x cheaper

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 24, 2011, 12:38 AM

Typically I'd use the iPod in large lectures, though even when using it or a laptop in small classes I was never asked to put it away.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 08:58 AM

Can you actually type fast enough on the iPad to take notes of a lecture?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2011, 09:00 AM

Notes? Never needed to do that.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 09:03 AM

No neither did I (I finished uni in '98), but I always wondered about people taking laptops into lectures nowadays. What for, if not for taking notes?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Can you actually type fast enough on the iPad to take notes of a lecture?
Yes.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by KittyKatLover1211 View Post
Another positive is our school is going to make all our textbooks available via epub and kindle format, so no more carrying heavy books to class. Plus its 10x cheaper
Well there. How many more reasons do you need to get the iPad?

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
No neither did I (I finished uni in '98), but I always wondered about people taking laptops into lectures nowadays. What for, if not for taking notes?
Facebook and forums. Well, that's what I used my iBook for in class.

-Q-
Feb 24, 2011, 12:18 PM

I use my iPad to take notes in meetings all the time (long gone from college classes ). It's taken some practice, but I've gotten to about a 30-35 wpm speed while typing on the virtual keyboard. Doesn't approach my physical keyboard wpm but it's proven to be fine for jotting down the key points in any meeting. I'd imagine the same process would work fine for classes.

KittyKatLover1211  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2011, 06:11 PM

Got my iPad today. Craigslist score for 350 and has 2 cases with it. Posting on it now thanks to MyWi on my Verizon iPhone with unlimited data I'm very pleased with this can't wait to load her up with apps and really use it

andi*pandi
Feb 24, 2011, 07:08 PM

congrats!

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2011, 10:04 PM

Hi very curious about ipads being used in college classes by students... Do you see a lot of students using them? May i ask what university is putting all of the textbooks in digital format? The school counselor in me is wondering what the future holds for our hs grads... i've been out of college too long to know.

PhilCat
Feb 25, 2011, 11:43 PM

Greetings, and my first post.

I've had my iPad for 3 months now.
I purchase air time for it when out on the road.
When iPhone is easy to tether, I'll try it.
It's a great tool on the road to assist the GPS view, alter a route on the fly,
find spots to stop at.

For a class, it has to be a hit with a battery that will easily last all day.
Easy to carry, and if needed I carry two small backup batteries just incase that tether into it.

Nice apps make any process look great. Sending it to a printer as well.
I use the built in note pad for everything that syncs back to the other machines.
A win win at the price you got it.
A new model is about to come out already.
Cheers

KittyKatLover1211  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2011, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by wilsonX View Post
Hi very curious about ipads being used in college classes by students... Do you see a lot of students using them? May i ask what university is putting all of the textbooks in digital format? The school counselor in me is wondering what the future holds for our hs grads... i've been out of college too long to know.
I've seen quite a few around campus, Mott community college is going to offer most if not all of our books in digital format which will be cheaper for us students in the long run. Most of our teachers hate laptops during a lecture. I'm 29 and back when i was in hs we didn't have these gadgets. When cd players got popular they got bankned from my hs.

As far as the iPad goes I love it. Been using a lot. Its light and fast, put on that atomic browser silty drop box integration and I'm set, I have no excuse to have late homework now it'll help keep me organized

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2011, 10:47 AM

Thanks KittyKatt. Schools all too often seem to have a .... if it's new ban it... attitude. I am going to get an iPad after the new ones come out. Just a matter of days I hope. I just bought a Nook for my son and the young woman demonstrating it said she thought it would be a great idea to have all textbooks available for the Nook. It is a great idea that I hope gets adopted soon. I have heard of some high schools adopting digital textbooks already.

dmsimmer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2011, 04:42 PM

I had to give up using my iPad in school.

If I only had to take notes, it works well (once you use an external keyboard, you will hate not having it).
If I only had to read books on it, it works even better. Highlighting and note taking within all reader apps is great. (Kindle's pagination sucks)

BUT- to do both note-taking and textbook reading is impossible on iPad. Example- Do problems 1-16 on Chapter 2. You waste lots of time switching back and forth, trying to remember the questions asked, etc. On the Mac you just Shift-Tab, or copy the text and embed in notes.

I'm very sad about it all. MBAir, here I come (soon).

PhilCat
Mar 2, 2011, 01:10 AM

Just curious, is it allowed to live record to back up typed notes later.
With directional mic.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2011, 02:52 AM

iPad for books.

This for notes:

www.livescribe.com

It's awesome - it records audio and associates it with your notes, which are imported as vectorized graphics.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 2, 2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by KittyKatLover1211 View Post
I've seen quite a few around campus, Mott community college...
I went to Mott back in the late 90's for classes for my apprenticeship with GM. Used to work at Buick City and I grew up between Flint and Lansing. It's cool to see the college keeping up with the times.

andi*pandi
Mar 2, 2011, 12:21 PM

I think recording depends on the class. A lot of classes people record, I remember even seeing it back in the day with little tape recorders.

The classes I've been in lately, the teacher provides the slides as PDF or a handout. I still took notes because it helps me remember, but you didn't have to worry about missing an important concept while scribbling down long strings of code.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2011, 12:26 PM

The targus stylus is good on the iPad. Combined with Penultimate app, it makes a good note taking combo.

longwood
Mar 10, 2011, 09:56 PM

I'm going to be purchasing an iPad (1st generation) to take with me to work. I have some free time during my lunch to work on my freelance jobs and don't really feel like bringing my MacBook with me. I thought the iPad would be a nice, lightweight and long lasting (battery) device to use.

@OP: I think an iPad would be a great addition to your work flow. You can take around the iPad when you need something light and when you need a little more processing power, etc. you have your MacBook at home. Sounds good to me.
iPhone 4: [32GB]
iPad 2: [16GB | WiFi]
MacBook: [13" | 2.4Ghz | 4GB | 500GB]

Forum Links
Forum Rules