Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Ship it on DVD, dammit!

Ship it on DVD, dammit!
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 17, 2003, 09:32 PM

How long have CD/DVD combos been shipping in Macs.

Maybe I'm not remembering straight but I'm under the impression that most Macs that fit the OS X specs (G3 and up) have CD/DVD combo in them.

I know the early iMacs and Beige G3s didn't. But when has Apple started putting CD/DVD drives as a minimum spec?

Instead of shipping 3 CDs, Apple should offer the 3 CDs as an option and offer 1 DVD as default. Or whatever...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2003, 09:45 PM

There are many Macs out there that do not have DVD capable drives. My work Mac is a QuickSilver G4/733 It is CD-RW only.

Apple is including a DVD install disc with current Macs that have DVD drives, but I doubt you will see retail versions of OS X come on DVD for a while. It's cheaper for them to have one SKU than it is to offer two SKUs (one CD, one DVD).
Vandelay Industries

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 09:46 PM

IIRC, a CD only drive was one of the standard options in the first generation of G4s. I seem to remember having to make a case for getting a DVD in a Yikes G4 at work way back when.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2003, 09:51 PM

After taking a peek at the Apple Store, you can still buy an iBook or eMac with a CD-ROM drive.
Vandelay Industries

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2003, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:

Maybe I'm not remembering straight but I'm under the impression that most Macs that fit the OS X specs (G3 and up) have CD/DVD combo in them.

I know the early iMacs and Beige G3s didn't. But when has Apple started putting CD/DVD drives as a minimum spec?

Instead of shipping 3 CDs, Apple should offer the 3 CDs as an option and offer 1 DVD as default. Or whatever...
My Flat screen iMac only has a CD/RW.

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 11:37 AM

Now that we're getting up to 3 CD's, though, I also say ship it on DVD, with a CD option. Yes, there are two SKUs (out of *how many* Apple has?), but they'll save costs on production, and it's just a heck of a lot nicer for the 75% at least that have DVD drives.

MrK
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 03:01 PM

I say bring back the floppy. How many floppies would Panther be, if you install Dev tools and Xcode?

2.5 GB / 1.44 MB = 1737 floppies. That would give you some wrist and elbow injuries.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2003, 04:41 PM

Does "The Floppy is dead! Long live the Floppy" apply here? or do I still not understand that quote....

-Owl

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by MrK:
I say bring back the floppy. How many floppies would Panther be, if you install Dev tools and Xcode?

2.5 GB / 1.44 MB = 1737 floppies. That would give you some wrist and elbow injuries.
Even AOL would not send you that many disks.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MrK
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Even AOL would not send you that many disks.
You mean Time Warner? They dropped AOL from their corporate name, too much negative publicity...

ZackS
Banned
Sep 18, 2003, 05:15 PM

I bet with the sit format's 23% average compression they could get it down to 1337 floppies. That would be so.. oh wait...

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
Now that we're getting up to 3 CD's, though, I also say ship it on DVD, with a CD option. Yes, there are two SKUs (out of *how many* Apple has?), but they'll save costs on production...
It would probably cost them far more to have and manage both DVD and CD versions. The retail version will be CD for some time to come.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2003, 10:04 PM

You mean Time Warner? They dropped AOL from their corporate name, too much negative publicity...
AOL, a unit of Time Warner (formerly AOL Time Warner) is still AOL. Only the corporate parent has removed AOL from its name.
Vandelay Industries

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2003, 10:45 PM

Now that we're getting up to 3 CD's, though, I also say ship it on DVD, with a CD option. Yes, there are two SKUs (out of *how many* Apple has?), but they'll save costs on production
They'll also have a horde of customers confused when the install disc doesn't work in their computers.

By the way, are we getting up to 3 CDs? I thought we'd been at 3 CDs with 10.0.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Sep 18, 2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
They'll also have a horde of customers confused when the install disc doesn't work in their computers.

Come on now...do people put DVDs into their CD players thinking it's a music CD? I know a lot of people are stupid but...not *that* stupid.

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:

Not counting developer tools, OS X 10.0 and 10.1 were 1 CD, Jaguar was 2, and now Panther is 3.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 18, 2003, 11:04 PM

Currently shipping Macs come with software install DVDs. Mine did, and that was 2002.

But I can understand CDs for general OS releases.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Currently shipping Macs come with software install DVDs. Mine did, and that was 2002.

Just to clarify, only those with DVD drives come with DVDs. CD only Macs still come with CDs.
Vandelay Industries

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2003, 02:33 AM

Come on now...do people put DVDs into their CD players thinking it's a music CD? I know a lot of people are stupid but...not *that* stupid.
DVDs and music CDs aren't sold side-by-side, and they don't have similar packaging. Maybe you're right and it would seem natural, but I think a lot (maybe not most, but a lot) of people would look at the two options for installation and say, "Shoot, which do I have? I think I might have a DVD-ROM drive, but I'm not sure...oh well, OS 9 works well enough for me, I guess."

If they noticed the difference at all, that is.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 02:46 AM

Been meaning to ask, but is the OS X "DVD" that ships with compatible machines a proper, bootable OS (ie, can I choose to partition before installation?) or is it typical "software restore" only setup where you can only restore to factory original configuration?

Cheers.

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
Apple is including a DVD install disc with current Macs that have DVD drives, but I doubt you will see retail versions of OS X come on DVD for a while. It's cheaper for them to have one SKU than it is to offer two SKUs (one CD, one DVD).
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 03:10 AM

the only thing i dislike about the cdrom drives apple ship sis the fact that they only read 24x to 32x, while a regular pc cdrom has been at 52x for 2 or 3 years, which is good for games...i'm not complaining, i'm just saying.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

zadak
Sep 19, 2003, 06:57 AM

Not counting developer tools, OS X 10.0 and 10.1 were 1 CD, Jaguar was 2, and now Panther is 3.
10.1 was 2 CDs, OS 9 was included, remember?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2003, 08:52 AM

Just to clarify, only those with DVD drives come with DVDs. CD only Macs still come with CDs.
Of course.

However, that's only the lowest end eMac and iBook (and Xserve). Everything else has at least a combo drive.

benb
Sep 19, 2003, 09:55 AM

How much does it cost to press a DVD? Why not just throw 3CDs and a DVD in the same box?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by benb:
How much does it cost to press a DVD? Why not just throw 3CDs and a DVD in the same box?
Cost. As cheap as a DVD is, it still costs more than nothing. Why bother? 3 CDs is not a big deal at all. If it was 5 then that's pushing it.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by zadak:
10.1 was 2 CDs, OS 9 was included, remember?
minus OS9 equals 1 CD

cpac
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2003, 11:42 AM

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jaguar come on "3 cds" - 1 that was the system, 1 that was "extras," and 1 that was developer tools?

And doesn't this correspond to Panther's 3 cds?

What's the problem?
cpac

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by ZackS:
I bet with the sit format's 23% average compression they could get it down to 1337 floppies. That would be so.. oh wait...

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 19, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jaguar come on "3 cds" - 1 that was the system, 1 that was "extras," and 1 that was developer tools?

And doesn't this correspond to Panther's 3 cds?

What's the problem?
Jaguar had two CD's for the OS (very few installations would avoid needing CD 2), and one for development. Panther has three CD's for the OS, and still an extra for development. Here's the breakdown:

10.0: 1 for OS, 1 for development, 1 for 9
10.1: 1 for OS, 1 for development, 1 for 9
10.2: 2 for OS, 1 for development, 0 for 9
10.3: 3 for OS, 1 for development, 0 for 9

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2003, 12:25 PM

Classic used to come on both floppy and CD, why can't they do the same for X? I don't see a huge problem...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Cipher13
Sep 20, 2003, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
Originally posted by Eug Wanker:

Actually, my iBook 900 (combo drive) came with CDs.

Perhaps only systems where a CD-ROM is not an option at all come with DVDs.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 11:33 AM

Answering my own question now that I have a new PB that shipped with a software restore DVD: yes.

Originally posted by legacyb4:
Been meaning to ask, but is the OS X "DVD" that ships with compatible machines a proper, bootable OS (ie, can I choose to partition before installation?) or is it typical "software restore" only setup where you can only restore to factory original configuration?

Cheers.

Lyra
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2003, 12:16 PM

I hear ya pal, same here, I cannot figure out why the heck they don't offer this solution, I am sick and tired of having so many discs... Cause in my line of business, you have A LOT! And yes when you have 3 discs you have to find, it is 3 and not just one you can have in a special place...

Ah never mind, this is again one of those things Apple will ignore, as always...

Then in 2 years they will come out with them...

IT IS 2003!!!!! O4 is here in a few months!!! COME ON APPLE!!!! USE DVDS!!!! You bunch of Smart A$$ people, you should be able to conjure up a DVD disc...

ryju
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2003, 12:33 PM

Considering my iMac doesn't have anything more than a CD-ROM drive... they damn well better not put it on a DVD.

biscool
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2003, 04:54 PM

This is a stupid argument. Who cares? It will be on CD because they are still shipping machines with only CD or CDRW drives. Why add costs, etc by making two editions of panther?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2003, 05:11 PM

My opinion is that as long as DVD burners are not commonplace, the OS should still ship on CDs, even if all machines come with DVD readers. You should be able to make a copy of your OS disk if you want or need to. Even though nearly every machine I have access to can read DVDs, none of them have DVD burners.

As the guy that fixes your machine when you bring it in with problems, I don't want to be sticking my original OS install discs in your machine, just because I may forget to remove them.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

stravinsky1911
Oct 5, 2003, 01:16 AM

What if I want to install Panther on my trusty 233 iMac? Not that I would, but...

CD is the least common denominator for OS X capable macs, so that's what Apple will use.

stravinsky1911
Oct 5, 2003, 01:18 AM

Actually, should say CD is the common drive to OS X capable systems- are there any that fit the minimum specs that don't have a CD drive?

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by stravinsky1911:
Actually, should say CD is the common drive to OS X capable systems- are there any that fit the minimum specs that don't have a CD drive?
Erm how do you install OS X then?

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 02:16 AM

The software install disc that came with my new powerbook is on DVD. It is nice just dealing with one disc for the install.

-b

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by legacyb4:
Answering my own question now that I have a new PB that shipped with a software restore DVD: yes.
I like the way you think. I'm thinking about a small question about the dual 2 GHz G5 right now...

psu03bob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by benb:
If every box shipped with two copies of the software piracy would be rampant. Who could resist the temptation to share their extra copy with a friend?

Also, if the purpose of shipping with a DVD is to reduce the number of disks you now have 4 instead of 3.

biscool
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 08:58 PM

Also, if the purpose of shipping with a DVD is to reduce the number of disks you now have 4 instead of 3.
I think the original poster's point was to use one disc to install from, so you don't have to keep switching discs...

If every box shipped with two copies of the software piracy would be rampant. Who could resist the temptation to share their extra copy with a friend?
Who can resist the temptation to burn a copy for a friend?

Forum Links
Forum Rules