Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Unhappy with 15" AL. PB. What to do?

Unhappy with 15" AL. PB. What to do?
eightoeight
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 03:38 AM

I just received my 15" PowerBook...and I am very disappointed. First of all the latch doesn't work unless I push down with unusual force...also there are these white spots on the lower left side of the screen.

What should I do?

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Sep 26, 2003, 03:42 AM

..wait for rev. b ?

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by eightoeight:
I just received my 15" PowerBook...and I am very disappointed. First of all the latch doesn't work unless I push down with unusual force...also there are these white spots on the lower left side of the screen.

What should I do?
Return it and get a new one. Do not accept repairs. You have 10 days.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 05:56 AM

Yep, sounds like a DOA...

Send it back and after the reseller/Apple confirms the faults you'll get another one...

Hassle, but well worth it.

Peace,

Marc

eightoeight  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 06:04 AM

Thanks for your thoughts.

I forgot to mention that I paid extra money for 1 512 RAM but instead got 2 256 RAM ... so ... yeah ... that sucks too.

gif32
Sep 26, 2003, 10:18 AM

there are these white spots on the lower left side of the screen.[/B]
Are they stuck pixels, or "light" spots? Sounds like the bright spots are a more widespread issue than I imagined. Check out some of the other threads for pics + discussion, and definitely send it back. A hassle for sure, but how could you accept an inferior product?

MrK
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 08:32 PM

And you didn't get the one stick RAM? Who the heck did you order this from?

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 09:03 PM

I had to return my because of a battery issue

I got a refund. Now I'm leary about getting another one since I've read about these "issues."

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 09:28 PM

A friend of mine has found the best way to get what you want is to be a total loudmouth jerk about it ("being a cockass" is his word for it). Call Apple, be polite but firm at first, and if they give you ****, get raw on them. DEMAND a replacement machine to be sent, with NO problems with the screen or the latch, and with one 512 MB SODIMM. Refuse to accept anything less than perfection. You're paying over $2000 for this computer - you deserve perfection.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 09:39 PM

Heh, while flipping out is nice and all, you probably won't get anywhere fast if you are an a**. I have one of the worst tempers in the world, but after working in retail for a year and seeing sh*t that customer service has to deal with as well as sales (which i was in), if customers give you a hard time, employees will go out of their way to make sure you don't get any help. If there is a legitimate problem, just be persistent and don't lose your temper. It's not the reps faults anyways, they are told to enforce policies that Apple has and they are just human beings, but if you are polite they will make exceptions. The only times when people flip and make a scene with my experience is when trying to scam you or do something ridiculous like return a year old product for a full refund.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 10:30 PM

It will be under DOA, just return it because you still can and get a brand new one. So either go and take it to a Apple Store and do that, or through Apple Online, and sent it back to them.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

MacsGalor
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by gif32:
Are they stuck pixels, or "light" spots? Sounds like the bright spots are a more widespread issue than I imagined. Check out some of the other threads for pics + discussion, and definitely send it back. A hassle for sure, but how could you accept an inferior product?
Actually these are clamps that are reflecting the screens light back out. I had the same thing. They let me exchange it for a new one, like someone else said you have 10 days. As far as the RAM goes show them you receipt and they should fix the problem.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 10:33 PM

That's true. I guess the best thing to do is to not back down and to be firm, but still polite. I mean, my friend who suggested that is just about clinically insane.

Being a wet noodle is just as bad or worse though. If they say, "well, try this" and you KNOW you've already tried it and it's not the problem, then you just have to tell them that.

Actually I usually do the best when I express my frustration with the whole situation in general. It's not one single person's fault, it's the fault of a system that isn't working how it should. Blame the system on the troubles and forgive the customer service reps, and they'll probably like you.

But still don't back down without getting what you want and deserve.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 10:51 PM

About the white spots: do you mean stuck pixels or larger white spots? If you've got the larger white spots, that's apparently a recognized problem, you're very likely to get a new notebook in exchange. But not for stuck pixels.

In any case, if you take it an Apple Store, they're more likely to be helpful than the AppleSOS. Take your notebook in, complete with packing materials, plus your invoice showing the single RAM chip that you ordered, and they're likely to replace it.

But you'll definitely get better service if you're polite and respectful. That doesn't mean being a wimp, it just means talking reasonably with determination, asking to talk to the manager, etc.

eightoeight  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 11:01 PM

They are white spots. They are clustered in a grouping of 8 or so spots. There is a smaller cluster of 3 spots I just noticed on the right side of my display.

I ordered my PowerBook online from Apple...

I called Apple Support and I am having it shipped out for repair/replacement. But...tonite I am planning to stop by the Apple Store to see if I could get a replacement.

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 11:39 PM

There is an internal KB article regarding the white spots. They will take the machine back just for that.

http://www.chaosmint.com/macintosh/a...e-issues.shtml

Even Powerbooks suffer from some defects. Most of the people with the defects will speak up about it (most of them here , while most satisfied users are never heard from. Consumer theory.

Anyway, send the machine back, its a hassle but chances are Apple will do you right in the end.

Forum Links
Forum Rules