Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther 7B80 First Sighting 9/25/03

Panther 7B80 First Sighting 9/25/03 (Page 3)
malone
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 10:54 AM

Supposing the build isn't a fake of some sort, why does the Apple logo have a fracture running across it?

Originally posted by cSurfr:
Well, I guess it's my turn to attempt to host a couple pics. Here are two about box pics i took off of my 12" 1ghz.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
One of the install options is 'additional speech voices' I was starting to think that it's been a bit too long since they've updated these.
I'm really hoping that they do something new with this - it's one of the things that they could slip in right at the last minute too.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
I'm really hoping that they do something new with this - it's one of the things that they could slip in right at the last minute too.
It's one new voice: Vicki. It's been installed for most of the Panther builds, and was thoroughly documented in the 7B68 thread.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by malone:
Supposing the build isn't a fake of some sort, why does the Apple logo have a fracture running across it?
That is a reflection...

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 11:26 AM

i think everyone can agree that "severed hand of $hit" deserves the top schmuck award for this board. good job!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by malone:

See how the chrome take reflection from the floor?

That new chrome Apple logo is a mix of art and 3D chrome. I think it's very artistic.

Peabo
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 11:59 AM

This DOES have new animations! Look at the brighness slider in system prefs! It irises in and out
( Last edited by Peabo; Sep 29, 2003 at 12:10 PM. )
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 12:11 PM

This DOES have new animations! Look at the brighness slider in system prefs! It irises in and out
Snapz it for us!

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 12:17 PM

I don't understand what you mean by "irises". Did you mean "rises" or "irises"? Either way, I don't see anything out of the norm on my 15" TiBook 667...

Peabo
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 12:21 PM

LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 12:25 PM

the slider button is on mushrooms

z|gzag
Sep 29, 2003, 12:38 PM

Looks fake to me.

Don't see any purpose to it, and it looks like a cheap pulsing effect... Why would it be in there, for brightness, yet nowhere else?

~zig

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 29, 2003, 12:39 PM

New animation
Interesting...but do all sliders have that animation?

Why is that particular one pulsating like that? Does it mean it has focus and can be controlled via the keyboard?

What about the other type of sliders (the arrow-lookin' sliders)?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 29, 2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by z|gzag:
Looks fake to me.
You look fake to me.

z|gzag
Sep 29, 2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
You look fake to me.
You smell like horsepoo!!!
~zig

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 12:44 PM

SNAP! Of course it's hosted on blueyonder, whom the Network Admins here at work have apparently decided to block for some reason...

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2003, 12:44 PM

Maybe i'm crazy, but mine isnt doing that at all. what pref pane are you talking about ? Please don't say i dont have Quartz extreme, because its the new 1ghz 12". looks kinda fake to me too.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

marumari
Sep 29, 2003, 12:56 PM

Hell, I get that pulse on 10.2.7 in the preference pane for controlling screen brightness with the fiber-optic keyboard. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in 10.3.

z|gzag
Sep 29, 2003, 01:00 PM

Ohhh... so its a fiber optic keyboard thing, odd... I wonder what purpose that pulse serves.
~zig

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 29, 2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

That new chrome Apple logo is a mix of art and 3D chrome. I think it's very artistic.
Apple should use that cow in the about box! That would really give Wired something to write about!

"Hello, what have we here?

jakeHM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by z|gzag:
Ohhh... so its a fiber optic keyboard thing, odd... I wonder what purpose that pulse serves.
The pulsing slider indicates that the brightness of the screen is set dynamically on machines with backlit keyboards.

The backlighting requires an ambient light level sensor. Therefore Apple have obviously decided to use this sensor to determine the screen brightness.

In bright lighting, the screen is on full brightness, when it is quite dark, the keyboard lights up, and the screen dims. (saving those valuable joules at the same time)

Brilliant.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 01:34 PM

Make the cow gold... Then have Moses getting pissed off. For some reason the relevance to people who get a little too zealous about their Macs seems relevant. (Anyone remember that classic scene in Dogma?)

absmiths
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by kingskel:
This philzilla person seems to pop up just to add one useless, usually negative, comment to each thread. The content, tone, and sheer volume of his posts speaks for itself. I'm not much for moderated forums, but in this case it'd be useful - the internet is a beautiful tool and I hate to see it's resources wasted by nonsense.
You may not like what he said, but if you read the thread in question it pretty much speaks for itself.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 01:42 PM

I'm not sure when this made it into PanFire - I just noticed it in 7B76. Speakable Items has been beefed-up a bit - you can speak the whole UI - "Close this Window", "Apple Menu, About this Mac..." etc...

Nice. Although Speakable Items is one of those things that I only turn on for about an hour ever six months (just for fun.)

I do like saying "WideBoy! how is my server?" and my laptop will speak the status of my Server.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 02:09 PM

Well, it looks like a release date will finally fall upon us very soon. I have my credit card ready! So come on Apple!

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
Art Vandelay? Are you an Importer / Exporter?

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
For some reason the relevance... seems relevant.
Sorry, I couldn't let this one go.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2003, 03:04 PM

New animation
This effect is in 74 as well

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
This effect is in 74 as well
Where can they be found?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 03:23 PM

Where can they be found?
If you turn on automaticly adjust brightness as ambient light changes.

I.e. you need a new 15" or 17" PowerBook. Yes, it's in 7B74. And it's a way of visually saying that the slider will be relevant to the ambient light changes.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 05:04 PM

Guys, I am at college right now and havn't recieved my G5(dual, 9800, 1gig, 250gig, Bluetooth, Airport) AND I ORDERED 7/25!!! People who order months after me get theirs already ;0

BUT, I havn't been able to keep up with the betas. Have these been fixed since my last 7B68?

Finder Related Problems/Bugs IN 7B68... Still in 7B80????

- NEW Filenames in Finder windows leave little artifact lines where the file was.

- NEW Some utility file icons are really messed up! (Activity Monitor, Keychain Access, NetInfo Manager, Remove Script Menu, Install Script Menu, Input Method HotKey) After restart, it was fine.

- NEW With Desktop text set to size 10, alignment is off(too high) and text looks blurry.

- Finder toolbar icon "Connect" represents the old network icon.

- Finder Preferences window does not remember where you last placed it.

- When you change to graphite theme, the Stop-Light window-buttons stay multi-colored in all Finder windows.

- In the Finder Prefrences you can turn off all of the HDs, CDs, and Network items. But then in the Finder Sidebar, all you have is a line. Shouldn't this line disappear if nothing is above it?

Misc. Problems/Bugs

- In the Dock, when a Application is already hidden and you control click on an Application in the Dock, the menu still says "Hide", when it should say "Show"... even though you just have to click the icon to show. Oh well, BUT, should be fixed!

- In Disk Copy in Jaguar, we have a menu when we control-clicked on the Dock icon with quick tools. In Disk Utilities in 10.3, we lost these features.

- This is my biggest fear. Some apps are fixed now, abut others are not...weird. BUT, in save panels for applications if you have an Application(such as Mail) in it, you can save into Mail. But it is in the package Contents. This will really scare people who are new users...or even me when i can't find my stuff if I click the wrong button! Yikes!!!!!!!!

- Some Utilities(Like Directory Services, NetInfo Manager, ODBC Administrator, etc...) and apps still have the old unlock and lock icons. Should be replaced to match the new ones in System Prefrences.

- In the DVD Player app, the AppleScript menu logo has the old fashion one, now replaced in all other apps with a new gray one.

- The widget to hide/show toolbars looks different in normal Aqua windows than Simple Finder View widgets...slightly.

- iCal live-window dragging is very choppy.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

kingskel
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 05:15 PM

"You may not like what he said, but if you read the thread in question it pretty much speaks for itself."

Sure. I've also read this thread, and it turns out that iDriveX was correct regarding 7B80. Therefore the reference to the other thread may be "relevant" to some, but is ultimately irrelevant.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2003, 05:46 PM

Is it just me or does it seem like sheets now come out much slower than before?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 05:50 PM

Can anybody else confirm that when you have Remove from Server "When Moved from Inbox" checked in Mail.app that it no longer works? This is with my .Mac account; however, all other choices work perfectly...

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
- In the DVD Player app, the AppleScript menu logo has the old fashion one, now replaced in all other apps with a new gray one.

Same thing in iTunes.

-Owl

MrK
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:
Is it just me or does it seem like sheets now come out much slower than before?
Eat prunes and your sheets will come out MUCH faster.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Apple should use that cow in the about box! That would really give Wired something to write about!
I would prefer a real panther instead of the broken apple there:

-

BigYellowMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 07:54 PM

I found another little quirk in 7B80...

IT HAS FALLEN AND IT CAN'T GET UP!!

The Finder appears to have lost its balance and fallen from the Dock onto the desktop.
The situation, while appearing dire and hopeless, was quickly resolved by running the 10.2 version of Process Viewer and exiting the Dock, and then running it from /System/Library/CoreServices.

I don't know if it's anything serious, but I guess little things like this are to be expected in pre-release OS'es. hey, wait a second... It doesn't say pre-release anymore in 7B80...

-Biggie!

greener
Sep 29, 2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Guys, I am at college right now and havn't recieved my G5(dual, 9800, 1gig, 250gig, Bluetooth, Airport) AND I ORDERED 7/25!!! People who order months after me get theirs already ;0

BUT, I havn't been able to keep up with the betas. Have these been fixed since my last 7B68?

Finder Related Problems/Bugs IN 7B68... Still in 7B80????

- NEW Filenames in Finder windows leave little artifact lines where the file was. ----fixed

- NEW Some utility file icons are really messed up! (Activity Monitor, Keychain Access, NetInfo Manager, Remove Script Menu, Install Script Menu, Input Method HotKey) After restart, it was fine. ----fixed

- NEW With Desktop text set to size 10, alignment is off(too high) and text looks blurry. ----fixed

- Finder toolbar icon "Connect" represents the old network icon. ----NOT fixed

- Finder Preferences window does not remember where you last placed it. --NOT fixed (thought it does vary location each time)

- When you change to graphite theme, the Stop-Light window-buttons stay multi-colored in all Finder windows. ---- NOT fixed

- In the Finder Prefrences you can turn off all of the HDs, CDs, and Network items. But then in the Finder Sidebar, all you have is a line. Shouldn't this line disappear if nothing is above it? ---- NOT fixed

Misc. Problems/Bugs

- In the Dock, when a Application is already hidden and you control click on an Application in the Dock, the menu still says "Hide", when it should say "Show"... even though you just have to click the icon to show. Oh well, BUT, should be fixed! ---- NOT fixed

- In Disk Copy in Jaguar, we have a menu when we control-clicked on the Dock icon with quick tools. In Disk Utilities in 10.3, we lost these features. ---- NOT fixed

- This is my biggest fear. Some apps are fixed now, abut others are not...weird. BUT, in save panels for applications if you have an Application(such as Mail) in it, you can save into Mail. But it is in the package Contents. This will really scare people who are new users...or even me when i can't find my stuff if I click the wrong button! Yikes!!!!!!!! ---- fixed (apps are grayed out, clicking on it opens the containing folder)

- Some Utilities(Like Directory Services, NetInfo Manager, ODBC Administrator, etc...) and apps still have the old unlock and lock icons. Should be replaced to match the new ones in System Prefrences. ---- NOT fixed

- In the DVD Player app, the AppleScript menu logo has the old fashion one, now replaced in all other apps with a new gray one. ---- NOT fixed

- The widget to hide/show toolbars looks different in normal Aqua windows than Simple Finder View widgets...slightly. ---- fixed (looks good to me)

- iCal live-window dragging is very choppy. ---- fixed (iCal window is as good as any other window on my 700MHz iBook)
"There is no spoon" - Spoon Boy

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by BigYellowMonkey:
I found another little quirk in 7B80...

IT HAS FALLEN AND IT CAN'T GET UP!!

The Finder appears to have lost its balance and fallen from the Dock onto the desktop.
The situation, while appearing dire and hopeless, was quickly resolved by running the 10.2 version of Process Viewer and exiting the Dock, and then running it from /System/Library/CoreServices.

I don't know if it's anything serious, but I guess little things like this are to be expected in pre-release OS'es. hey, wait a second... It doesn't say pre-release anymore in 7B80...

-Biggie!
That's pretty cool actually, never seen that before...

superfula
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
BTW looks like build 80 is getting around. You all need to apologize to iDrive.
Why should ANYONE aplogize to him? We never denied build 80 existed. It was clearly an internal-only build. He claimed he had it a couple days before ANYONE mentioned anything about it, and has yet to prove he has it. All I did was call BS to him finding it and dl it, which is still accurate until he proves different.

Quit jumping on peoples' bandwagons zimphire.

greener
Sep 29, 2003, 09:10 PM

Not sure if this has been said, and whether it appeared in earlier builds, but Expos� has some "popup folder" action going on if you drag a file on a window and wait.

It blinks the selection and selects the window you're over, quite a nice feature.

This is 7B80
"There is no spoon" - Spoon Boy

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by superfula:
Why should ANYONE aplogize to him? We never denied build 80 existed. It was clearly an internal-only build. He claimed he had it a couple days before ANYONE mentioned anything about it, and has yet to prove he has it. All I did was call BS to him finding it and dl it, which is still accurate until he proves different.

Quit jumping on peoples' bandwagons zimphire.
Dude, I am not looking for an apology. No one needs to apologize to me. But seriously, not that I care, but how does one go about proving they have a build. I did provide the screen shot that someone asked for. I did say that I was given the build before any "news" places reported on it. Oh well, I guess you are just tough to convince. Anyways, I've looked up and down this entire build and haven't found any new "animations" like AI reported. Only difference I see is the new Apple logo. Haven't done any real deep searching but for my development purposes, it has been running a lot faster than 7B74, but nothing else has changed.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 09:59 PM

iDriveX:

Have you heard anything about 7B85 quite yet?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 29, 2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by greener:
Not sure if this has been said, and whether it appeared in earlier builds, but Expos� has some "popup folder" action going on if you drag a file on a window and wait.

It blinks the selection and selects the window you're over, quite a nice feature.

This is 7B80
That's new...and that's great news!

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 10:45 PM

I was wonder does the clock auto hide when in full screen DVD?

Also since the clock is part of the system preferences now, can you still hide it?

And will it work on my Beige G3?
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
iDriveX:

Have you heard anything about 7B85 quite yet?
I have been using 7B80, and have heard that 7B81 is "out there" although I have seen no real evidence or heard of anyone using it. Anything later than 7B80 has not surfaced yet as far as I know. I'm sure that Apple is most likely working with a Build in that range though right now, but that's just speculation.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 12:25 AM

I'd love to have a chrome version of Clarus the dogcow.

BTW, maybe I just noticed this because I'm from the south, but there's something funny about that bull. It has teats. That's udderly ridiculous.
( Last edited by ryarber; Sep 30, 2003 at 01:00 AM. )

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2003, 12:55 AM

So are there really new widgets and more "speed"? Or must I torrent the damn thing myself?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 01:00 AM

Wow, 7B80 is absolutely stunning. This is my first encounter with Panther, and I must comment on how FAST everything is! Oh, and there are a lot of surprising visual effects. The Fast User Switching might convince me to make it my primary OS until I buy the final release when it comes out. Very nice work Apple

Forum Links
Forum Rules