Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What do you carry your iBook in?

What do you carry your iBook in?
mikochu
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 01:25 PM

Hey folks,

I have a SwissGear Synergy backpack I've been using with my prior laptop (15") and now I have a 12" iBook. I love the bookbag, but it seems too beefy for the 12" iBook. The lid on the iBook kinda compromises when in the bag. I was looking at sleeves like the Vyper, ZeroShock, and STM (something?). I was wondering everyone else was using...

Thanks
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

MDWeezer
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 01:49 PM

I use the Timbuk 2 Detour 2.0

Has the perfect pocket for my 12" iBook and plenty of room for books or whatever else.

Plus it has backpack straps that can disappear into the bag so you can just carry it by the handle or attach its included shoulder strap; very cool.

They're $100 but I got it on eBay for $50, was a steal and I love it!

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/ca...m?categoryId=9

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006, 05:28 PM

i use a neoprene sleeve for my clamshell and carry as is or toss it into a backpack.

http://www.caselogic.com/neoprene_no...?modelid=44291

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 05:34 PM

^^^ me too
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mikochu
...I was looking at sleeves like the Vyper, ZeroShock, and STM...
i actually have the STM Small Alley. it is really good for traveling light because the front flap is not padded. there is an interior laptop vault with padding all around, plus interior pockets. the bag itself is extremely light. i also like it because of the vertical loading. i would recommend this bag.

in college my book bag was a tank and i would need maximum protection and extra room for text books and art supplies. now that i am a professional i have 'scaled down' and now use the aforementioned stm alley or a simple neoprene sleeve.

bourgeoisie
Feb 1, 2006, 09:44 PM

tucano second skin folder, picked it up at the northern arizona university bookstore for $20. it's perfect for me because it's simple, it protects the ibook but i can put it in any bag i want to, im not stuck with my lame looking briefcase style laptop bag.
green links don't belong to me!

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 10:44 AM

I went back to the Apple Store to return (the useless-to-me) .mac that I bought the night before. They had incase sleeves, so I bought one just for the hell of it. It reminds me of the Caselogic sleeves. Now, I put my iBook in the sleeve, then put it in the sleeve in my SwissGear bag.
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 02:46 PM

A 12" Incase case. It was expensive, but that's because they know there aren't many 12" notebooks around, and whoever wants a case for one better shell out some bucks. :-P

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 04:35 PM

I just came back from class. I went to the campus computer store to browse and noticed that they have a plethora of sleeves. Tucano, Timbuk 2, etc...They had a 12" Tucano second skin...for less than 66% of the cost of the incase sleeve...oh well *shrug*

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by bourgeoisie
tucano second skin folder, picked it up at the northern arizona university bookstore for $20. it's perfect for me because it's simple, it protects the ibook but i can put it in any bag i want to, im not stuck with my lame looking briefcase style laptop bag.
Bah, the UofA store doesn't have any for iBook, only PB... looks like I'm buying online for this one.

As soon as I get around to it, I'll also have a Tucano second skin thingy.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

e-dard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 11:44 PM

tucano seconds skin folder for my 12" iBook....

very very good....

got caught up in a torrential storm once walking home with the laptopn in a non waterproof record bag and although the sleeve got damp it never got through to the iBook...

kitkat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 11:52 PM

I made my own "sleeve" with a double thickness of (indigo blue) stretch fleece I bought at my local fabric store. Cost: less than $2. Nice thing is no has one like it, and I get lots of compliments from other laptop owners!

Ryknow215
Mar 30, 2006, 09:33 AM

I use a STM Rebound to tote around my 12" iBook. It's made out of polyurethane foam which acts just like "memory foam." I paid $35 and I was skeptical at first but it is an awesome sleeve, I'd highly recommend it.

My girlfriend uses an InCase neoprene sleeve to bring her MacBook Pro around. The InCase sleeves are pretty sharp as well.
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

Dr.Michael
Mar 30, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
i use a neoprene sleeve for my clamshell and carry as is or toss it into a backpack.

http://www.caselogic.com/neoprene_no...?modelid=44291
You use THAT for a clamshell?
Did you know that this one exists?

I used it years ago with my blueberry. Its cool because the handle is usable.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2006, 02:11 PM

I zip it up in a 12" Incase neoprene sleeve then throw it in my backpack.

alex239
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2006, 08:05 PM

my hand

selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 09:47 PM

Tom Bihn Brain Cell inside an Empire Builder. Wonderful bag. A mite bulky perhaps, but very durable, lots of cool pockets, and my iBook has withstood some nasty falls while inside this thing.
( Last edited by selowitch; Apr 3, 2006 at 11:02 AM. )

volcano
Senior User
Apr 1, 2006, 01:26 AM

I used a Tucano Second Skin sleeve that I purchased on eBay. It worked wonderfully and I didn't worry about tossing it in my backpack when I walked around campus with it.

Hopefully the gentleman I sold my iBook to is happy with it as well.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Apr 1, 2006, 11:12 PM

I use this Oakley bag to carry my iBook back and forth from work.

A bit pricey, but I had some disposable income at the time so...*shrug*

Other than the price, I definitely give the bag a

profetes
Apr 2, 2006, 01:40 AM

I just toss my ibook in my backpack away from all the other books and stuff that could possibly scratch my ibook up since I don't use a case.

MrK
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2006, 10:09 AM

Brenthaven 12" bag left over from my Powerbook 12"...

joe_farley
Apr 3, 2006, 10:52 AM

a pillow case lol
http://www.funnyville.com/fv/pictures/winrg.shtml -hahaha this is a mic take of the windows operating system

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 3, 2006, 11:03 AM

Mac Case 12" sleeve with the little window to show the mighty apple on the back of the screen ...i put my ibook in that and throw it in the backpack

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2006, 02:30 PM

I got a cheap-o $20 Targus case from either Fry's or Best Buy, can't quite remember. Very basic case, has just enough pockets to suffice for me.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2006, 08:43 AM

http://shop.uk.playstation.com/produ...partno=9113102

My iBook 12" just fits in the "slim" pocket, then I pack the adapter + often external HD in the "main" compartment (reenforced with foam all around).
I also sometimes carry my PS2 with it, but only sometimes!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
You use THAT for a clamshell?
Did you know that this one exists?

I used it years ago with my blueberry. Its cool because the handle is usable.
i was not aware of that one, but hey, mine fits. besides, i don't want to use the handle because it already has cracks

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 12:05 AM

www.sfbags.com

Nicely padded. Excellent quality.
bb iBook 300MHz / 278MB / 40GB / OS 10.2.8 / OS 9.2
iBook 700MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
iBook 900MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
PowerPC 604 / 72MB / 3GB / OS 7.5.5

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 06:08 AM

I happen to not use anything for my ipod or my ibook G4. I know I should at least get a case for the ipod as it is starting to show its abuse from the multiple scratches already sustained on the ipod. I would like to get invisible sheild for the ipod and I probably just wouldn't get a case for my ibook, because I never travel, and I always use my ibook so a case would be so inconvient for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules