Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Defragging intel macs

Defragging intel macs
maae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 06:43 PM

Hi all,

I recently transferred some 200+ megabyte files from my old Dell to my new intel iMac, and the files seem to be fregmented beyond... well, just realy, realy, realy fragmented.

So, my question is, is there a defragmentation program out there for intel-based Macs?

Thank you in advance

Moose
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by maae
the files seem to be fregmented beyond... well, just realy, realy, realy fragmented.
From where do you get that impression?

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2006, 07:29 PM

The last time I tried to defrag, I was on a beige G3 and gave up because it was going to take something like three days. I never attempted a defrag again...

maae  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 02:13 AM

I get that impression when I access these files and my hard drive starts chirping wildly. It does not do that with an equivalent newer file (something like 700 mb movie).

Besides, all the larger files in Mac OS X are bound to become fragmented as the only files that are defragmented on the fly, are those under 20 mb.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2006, 09:54 PM

If you JUST transferred them and you have plenty of hard drive space, why would they be so fragmented? I doubt you would notice such a performance difference. Could it perhaps be related to the type of files they are and the program opening them, maybe OS X is having to use lots of VM?
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

maae  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 05:29 PM

It seems I stand corrected. I just installed 2GB memory, and that seems to have done the trick (and some other good things too).

Though I still would like a way defragment my hard drive - any suggestions would be most welcome!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2006, 05:49 PM

Just get over it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 21, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by maae
Though I still would like a way defragment my hard drive - any suggestions would be most welcome!
Mac OS X automatically defragments in a way that is sufficient for probably 95% of users.

Read this article written by a Mac filesystem engineer to see why it's mostly pointless to defragment.

tooki

MrK
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2006, 12:08 AM

but if you want to get tech tool pro v. 4.5.1. it can save your butt if you have a corrupted [insert file problem here] and it offers a defrag tool too that works fairly well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules