Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > heat

heat
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 05:47 PM

my thing 17 inches gets very hot. Is there a program that monitors the heat of this monster.

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
my thing 17 inches gets very hot. Is there a program that monitors the heat of this monster.
Temperature Monitor works quite well on my 12", AFAIK it should work with a 17" as well:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

Note: This only monitors the CPU temperature, its not an indication of case temperature.

For reference, sitting on a desk my 12" PB is running 123.1 ?F.
MacBook White 2.0 GHz, SuperDrive, 2 GB RAM, 120GB
-jsnyder

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by jsnyder:
Temperature Monitor works quite well on my 12", AFAIK it should work with a 17" as well:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

Note: This only monitors the CPU temperature, its not an indication of case temperature.

For reference, sitting on a desk my 12" PB is running 123.1 ?F.
Thanks. How do I calberate my battery or is it already done. Man I took it to school today for my first time. Even my teacher couldn't say any thing and he hates mac's. Jaws down.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 06:06 PM

Is there a way to close the lid so the screen is off and listen to i-tunes. Also is that bad to do. Apple store does it.

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 06:14 PM

Thanks. How do I calberate my battery or is it already done. Man I took it to school today for my first time. Even my teacher couldn't say any thing and he hates mac's. Jaws down.
I've heard recommendations to run the battery down until the PowerBook requires sleep then charging it all the way up again. I've also heard that that isn't really necessary anymore (I guess Apple does some calibration?)

I would just use it normally and if the life seems abnormally low (I don't know what the average is for your particular machine, but I'm sure if you search there are threads on it) try doing a full cycle.

The battery gauge doesn't tend to be totally accurate regarding battery life as it constantly adjusts during usage. If you want to really get some accurate figures try using X-Charge:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15982

It'll show how long you've been running on battery when you click-and-hold on the icon in the dock and it gives you a graph of usage since the app was started.

I start it on boot, it runs using almost no CPU, no windows open, and it brings the old dock battery indicator back to boot.
-jsnyder

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 06:18 PM

Is there a way to close the lid so the screen is off and listen to i-tunes. Also is that bad to do. Apple store does it.
There's a util that purports to do this. I've never tried it so I can't vouch for it:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20087

Running with the lid closed will cause your PowerBook to run hotter as keyboard/trackpad/palmwrest areas are no longer allowing for heat to dissipate in the same way as it can when the 'Book is open. This may cause issues with the screen, but I'm only speculating here. I have no personal experience. You might try searching the forums for info on that as well.
-jsnyder

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2003, 06:23 PM

yoyoman you seem to have a lot of issues with your 17" should you not take it in to get checked?

this is your second thread about the heat or was it some other issue?
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Aug 12, 2003, 10:33 PM

Just for the record to any one who says the aibooks don't run hot, I borrowed a laser thermometer gun from the plant operations guys in my office, point it at the left palm rest and received a toasty reading of 123 degrees farenheit. Ouch!

Oh well, even 3rd degree burns wouldn't keep me from using this bad boy.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by jsnyder:
I've heard recommendations to run the battery down until the PowerBook requires sleep then charging it all the way up again. I've also heard that that isn't really necessary anymore (I guess Apple does some calibration?)

I would just use it normally and if the life seems abnormally low (I don't know what the average is for your particular machine, but I'm sure if you search there are threads on it) try doing a full cycle.

The battery gauge doesn't tend to be totally accurate regarding battery life as it constantly adjusts during usage. If you want to really get some accurate figures try using X-Charge:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15982

It'll show how long you've been running on battery when you click-and-hold on the icon in the dock and it gives you a graph of usage since the app was started.

I start it on boot, it runs using almost no CPU, no windows open, and it brings the old dock battery indicator back to boot.
heat is not the big problem i was wondering of there is a way to do this. close the lid and play itunes. I can always turn the screen black. that wont help a lot but it will. and as for heat i am just curious because iv never had heat problems like this before. Just don't want to screw it up. How do i calberate my battry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules