Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2005fpw

2005fpw
HisDudeness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 08:06 PM

I'm fairly new to macs and have a question about using an iBook with a Dell 2005fpw. I have both the iBook and an old vaio desktop hooked up to the 2005fpw with a KVM switch and I want to use the iBook while it's closed. Everytime I close the thing it goes blank. When I hit esc it comes back but quickly goes blank again. please help

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2005, 08:10 PM

That's the iBook going to sleep. You have to have the lid open for the machine to operate.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

HisDudeness  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 09:19 PM

That's kind of what I thought. So there's no way to use it with the lid completely closed?

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2005, 09:29 PM

If your worryed about the light from the laptop being open then just turn the brightness down so much that the screen is black (F1 Key), that way you can even have your iBook all the way open. I hope that helps but I don't really see why the iBook MUST be closed if the is the case...

HisDudeness  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Flip500
If your worryed about the light from the laptop being open then just turn the brightness down so much that the screen is black (F1 Key), that way you can even have your iBook all the way open. I hope that helps but I don't really see why the iBook MUST be closed if the is the case...
Excellent! That's perfect...I didn't really necessarily need it to be closed, I just didnt' want to have both screens on when the 20" was just mirroring the iBook. Thanks a ton for helping out a n00b.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2005, 11:25 PM

No, thank you! You have no idea how good it feels to have someone really appreciate the bit of knowlage I have, I'm a noob to this fourm though, just a Junior Member... for now!

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by HisDudeness
Excellent! That's perfect...I didn't really necessarily need it to be closed, I just didnt' want to have both screens on when the 20" was just mirroring the iBook. Thanks a ton for helping out a n00b.
you have to be kidding me. you're mirroring the ibook at 1024x768? there is screen spanning hack out there you know... i also have an ibook w/ 2005fpw. you can run it at native res just fine, not much performance loss 2d wise.

HisDudeness  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by CrusaderSean
you have to be kidding me. you're mirroring the ibook at 1024x768? there is screen spanning hack out there you know... i also have an ibook w/ 2005fpw. you can run it at native res just fine, not much performance loss 2d wise.
No, I'm not kidding you...I'm a total n00b to macs. Can I get a link or some more info please? Just assume that I know absolutely nothing on the subject.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2005, 05:18 PM

No joke, your doing the best thing you can (in my opinion) just go on a couple fourms and cruise around. The best way is to go to the area of the Forum that you want to learn about (i.e. I have and iBook and like games so those are two areas I go alot). Some times you don't even need to join the Fourm, you can just go around and just read, I'm learning alot!

P.S. or you could just read manuals...

Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2005, 06:51 PM

This is what you need to enable higher resolutions on your 2005fpw:
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 20, 2005, 11:09 AM

That program will not only allow all the resolutions, it'll also allow closed-lid operation ("clamshell mode"). It works great.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules