Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Super Bowl?

View Poll Results: Who gets the Lombardi Trophy?
Poll Options:
New England Patriots 56 votes (67.47%)
Philadelphia Eagles 27 votes (32.53%)
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll
Super Bowl?
Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2005, 02:18 AM

Gotta go with the Pats. BTW, audible.com and iTMS will be offering recordings of the radiocasts of the weekend games and the Super Bowl.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 02:35 AM

i like the pats, but i gotta say eagles. they are just too strong right now.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 11:04 AM

The Colts and Steelers have learned a lesson that the Eagles are going to learn. To claim to be the best, you have to beat the best. And until anyone proves otherwise, the Patriots are the best team in football.

The Colts "unstoppable" offense was shut down and only scored 3 points. The Steelers run game was shut down to the point where the game was put in Big Ben's hands, and he threw the ball to the wrong team a few times.

To take down the best passing team in the league, then turn around and shut down one of the best power running offenses, you have to be a superior defense.

Add in the absolutely perfect gameplanning and coaching, and the Patriots are awfully hard to beat. They may not have any superstars, but they are one of the best teams ever. If they win the Super Bowl, they have to be considered one of the great dynasties.

The Eagles, meanwhile, are coming off of a huge climax, finally winning the NFC Championship. They need to be cautious about letting that be their Super Bowl. They still have one game to play.

Unfortunately for them, the bulk of their season has been against inferior opponents in the NFC, compared to the teams that the Pats played. To a team, every team in the AFC playoffs could beat every team in the NFC playoffs, save maybe the Eagles. Obviously, they are the class of the NFC. But this year, that's not saying much.

The Eagles hopes remain with their very strong defense and the Patriots having trouble matching up against Terrell Owens. If he plays (I think he will.)

Besides, betting against Tom Brady in the Super Bowl is like betting against Rocky after seeing the movies. He's a Champion.

Patriots 31
Eagles 17
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
The Eagles, meanwhile, are coming off of a huge climax, finally winning the NFC Championship. They need to be cautious about letting that be their Super Bowl. They still have one game to play.
Did you see the post-game interviews? They all talked about having one more game to play. They'll be ready.

Unfortunately for them, the bulk of their season has been against inferior opponents in the NFC, compared to the teams that the Pats played. To a team, every team in the AFC playoffs could beat every team in the NFC playoffs, save maybe the Eagles. Obviously, they are the class of the NFC. But this year, that's not saying much.
Now you're just exaggerating. It's been clear all season that the Pats, Eagles, and Steelers are far and away the three best teams. Between the two teams left, they've only lost three games that meant anything (the two losses at Pittsburgh and the Pats' debacle in Miami, which didn't mean much). These are two very good teams.

Patriots 31
Eagles 17
I'm also guessing 31-17 also, but in the Eagles' favor. McNabb can spread the ball around as well as anyone, but the Eagles don't have the porous defense the Colts had or the intense pressure Pittsburgh experienced. I think McNabb's mobility is going to be the key to the game. He's long since proved his point that he's a pocket passer, but I think his legs are going to keep some plays and drives alive. It should be a great game!

This is the first Super Bowl I'll be watching with a vested interest in the outcome. I don't care about any of the commercials. Not even Janet's nipple could distract me.

E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 12:26 PM

I'm from Boston, Go Patriots. This could make it 3 times in four years and two in a row.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Did you see the post-game interviews? They all talked about having one more game to play. They'll be ready.

Now you're just exaggerating. It's been clear all season that the Pats, Eagles, and Steelers are far and away the three best teams. Between the two teams left, they've only lost three games that meant anything (the two losses at Pittsburgh and the Pats' debacle in Miami, which didn't mean much). These are two very good teams.

I'm also guessing 31-17 also, but in the Eagles' favor. McNabb can spread the ball around as well as anyone, but the Eagles don't have the porous defense the Colts had or the intense pressure Pittsburgh experienced. I think McNabb's mobility is going to be the key to the game. He's long since proved his point that he's a pocket passer, but I think his legs are going to keep some plays and drives alive. It should be a great game!

This is the first Super Bowl I'll be watching with a vested interest in the outcome. I don't care about any of the commercials. Not even Janet's nipple could distract me.

E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!
if mcnabb plays like he did against atlanta, he will run and throw all over the pats secondary.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 01:37 PM

Of course they said that, but all that is cliches. Just like saying "they are a good team" and "we had to overcome a lot of adversity."

Simple fact is, the Pats are the Champs until someone else proves otherwise. I don't think that the Eagles are the ones to do it.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 01:42 PM

Don't really care who wins. I'm just looking forward to some good football.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 01:43 PM

Gotta chime in for the Pats here.

I'm not gonna say too much- due to the fact that in New England- we believe our every thought might jinx our teams.

But- Belichick (and the rest of the coaching staff) molds the team to whatever team they are playing. Just because they do one thing against a team one week, does not mean they will do the same the next. You cannot judge their abilities of one stat against a team and expect it to be the same against the next.

I would expect and exciting game, but I gotta pick my solid Patriots here.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 01:48 PM

I want the Eagles to win but being an Eagles fan one is always ready to be disappointed.

It depends on which Eagles team shows up. If the team that showed up against the Falcons then I think they have a chance to win. It also depends on the condition of T.O. If he is healthy enough to play I think they will for sure beat the Patriots.

I don't think the Eagles will get blown out and I think they will cover the point spread.

I'm going to say 27-20 Eagles.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

DarwinX
Jan 24, 2005, 02:10 PM

I've picked against the Patriots the past two weeks. I don't think I can do it a third consecutive week...

I think there are numerous valid points to make for both teams...but as has been stated previously, the Pat's are the champs until somebody beats them. Period.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2005, 02:21 PM

Pats will kill them, won't even be very close.

38-17
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

todrain
Senior User
Jan 24, 2005, 02:29 PM

We'll see.... for once, I have hope! If McNabb can keep the Pats D off balance, we should be ok. Our D should be good enough to keep the Pats from scoring a ton of points. I'm gonna say 24-20 Eagles.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 03:12 PM

Of course they said that, but all that is cliches. Just like saying "they are a good team" and "we had to overcome a lot of adversity."

Simple fact is, the Pats are the Champs until someone else proves otherwise.
That's as much a clich� as the others you mentioned. The Pats were the champs last year. The Pats will be the champs if the Eagles don't beat them, but the Eagles will be the champs if the Pats don't beat them.

Don't get me wrong -- the Pats are a great team. That being said, they're not invincible. Everyone who does all this talking about dynasties tends to gloss over the fact the Pats followed their first Super Bowl win with a non-playoff season. It's hard to win the Super Bowl, but it's even harder to repeat. No one's managed to do that since Denver in the late '90s.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 03:20 PM

Everyone seems to underestimate how good the Eagles are. True that the Pats are the Champs and Yes the Eagles have to beat them to prove otherwise. It will be a battle of Defensive coordinators. Both are excellent at what they do. Both teams have similar records. One thing it should be a good game.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
Everyone seems to underestimate how good the Eagles are. True that the Pats are the Champs and Yes the Eagles have to beat them to prove otherwise. It will be a battle of Defensive coordinators. Both are excellent at what they do. Both teams have similar records. One thing it should be a good game.
Well put. The Eagles had 3 losses all year and TWo of those were when they weren't playing starters in games that didn't matter. This will be a GREAT game (at least it should be).

Gotta go with my Eagles, 27-20.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 03:36 PM

If the Pats win will New Englanders be able to handle it? Red Sox and Pats... Boston is going to go nuts.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 03:39 PM

No one's managed to do that since Denver in the late '90s.
Yeah, what a great time to have been a Broncos fan. Terrell Davis, John Elway and the boys.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Well put. The Eagles had 3 losses all year and TWo of those were when they weren't playing starters in games that didn't matter. This will be a GREAT game (at least it should be).

Gotta go with my Eagles, 27-20.
Nice to see other Eagles fans on the forum. The only reason I think the Eagles might lose is because it is what every philly tema does when they get to the big game. I'm hoping they won't. The Eagle's Defensive line is probably one of the most underrated in the NFL. They proved Yesterday that they are a very multidimension Defense. Everyone kept talking about "if the the Eagle's Defense could contain Michael Vick" Well they contained him pretty well. Both teams look pretty well balanced so it should be a good game no matter who wins. I don't think it will be a blowout even if the Pats win.

DarwinX
Jan 24, 2005, 04:11 PM

Personally I think Atlanta was over-hyped. I guess we'll find out how good Philly is come Superbowl Sunday.

mishap
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 04:27 PM

It isn't a question of if the Patriots will win or not, but by how much...

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by mishap:
It isn't a question of if the Patriots will win or not, but by how much...

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jan 24, 2005, 04:39 PM

Coming from Boston I'm never confident about winning a game. This whether it be the Pats, Sox or Celts or yore. However, after seeing how the Pats are just clicking in such a way as to not only win but totally dominate teams I finally am a believer. I don't know by how much, but I know they will win. Belicheck, Brady, Dillon, Bruschi, and in two weeks Richard Seymour and the crew are just on another level above anyone in the league.'

Go Pats

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by RobOnTheCape:
Coming from Boston I'm never confident about winning a game. This whether it be the Pats, Sox or Celts or yore. However, after seeing how the Pats are just clicking in such a way as to not only win but totally dominate teams I finally am a believer. I don't know by how much, but I know they will win. Belicheck, Brady, Dillon, Bruschi, and in two weeks Richard Seymour and the crew are just on another level above anyone in the league.'

Go Pats
That's the same with ANY philly team as well. You wonder which team will show up.

On that note. This year Westbrook is Healthy he wasn't last year. McNabb has gotten much better and I think it will be a great duel between the 2 QB's. Both teams are really clicking right now.

It will also depend on how healthy Terrell Owens is. If he is Healthy it will be tough for the Pats. I read somewhere that the Eagles can win without T.O but they can't win without Westbrook. This year he is healthy.

Unfortunately Lewis is going to be out. I just think it's the Eagles Year. I don't think it will be a blowout both teams are just that good this year. It's about time that the 2 best teams in the league are playing each other.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2005, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
Don't really care who wins. I'm just looking forward to some good football.
The commercials are usually more amusing than the actual ballgame.

When is the Super Bowl this year, anyway?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

Feb 6th

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2005, 05:30 PM

I am not a fan of either team, but I am very confident that the Patriots will win. The Colts and Steelers were two of the best teams I've ever seen this season. Most of the NFC was a joke, including the entire NFC East outside of Philly.

Do the math.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

That's because the GAME isn't supposed to be "amusing" it's entertaining and it's football.

As noted, it's Feb. 6th at 6:30 pm EST.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
The Colts and Steelers were two of the best teams I've ever seen this season. Most of the NFC was a joke, including the entire NFC East outside of Philly.

Do the math.
If you think the Colts are better than the Eagles, you must've taken a bathroom break every single time they were on defense.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
If the Pats win will New Englanders be able to handle it? Red Sox and Pats... Boston is going to go nuts.
This year is Boston's year. I predict wins for the Celtics and Bruins too. In fact, Boston will probably win everything from now on.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 07:32 PM

Man that's going to be a rough day. I'll be at the beginning of a week's ski trip in Colorado. Game will start just after the lifts close.

Oh, and Patriots win 27-17.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by cpt kangarooski:
This year is Boston's year. I predict wins for the Celtics and Bruins too. In fact, Boston will probably win everything from now on.
Unlikely that the Bruins will win the Cup...since there is no season.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 08:23 PM

Unlikely that the Bruins will win the Cup...since there is no season.
I know, but dammit, they're gonna win anyway somehow. They have to!
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 09:25 PM

The Colts and Steelers have learned a lesson that the Eagles are going to learn. To claim to be the best, you have to beat the best. And until anyone proves otherwise, the Patriots are the best team in football.
Does that make the Dolphins the best team in football?

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
Does that make the Dolphins the best team in football?
Just at catching stupid Brady gift passes.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Just at catching stupid Brady gift passes.
Hey, sign Dawkins up for that then!!

Oh, and that QB that won that game.... yeah, he's an ex-Eagle!

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 01:31 AM

The Patriots are 33-2, people. As far as I'm concerned, they're already a team for the ages, a team of destiny, etc.

The Eagles had a hard time with the Falcons. If the Falcons, with the same defense, had been able to execute as effectively as the Patriots do, the Falcons would have won. I think the Patriots defense is better than the Falcons', and I think their offense will have the answer to the Eagles.

Sorry Pennsylvania.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by awcopus:
The Patriots are 33-2, people.
No, they aren't. They're 31-2 in the last 33 games (since a Sept. 2003 loss at Washington). The Eagles are 27-6 in their last 33 (including two meaningless losses after securing home-field advantage this season). Go back a couple more years and the Eagles have the best record in football.

The Eagles had a hard time with the Falcons. If the Falcons, with the same defense, had been able to execute as effectively as the Patriots do, the Falcons would have won. I think the Patriots defense is better than the Falcons', and I think their offense will have the answer to the Eagles.
Come on! The Falcons didn't execute effectively because the Eagles didn't let them. Or are you saying the Colts and/or Steelers would've won if they'd only executed effectively? Besides, you're making a cardinal sin by extrapolating from one performance. The Eagles did (more than) enough to win. The bottom line is this: it isn't the "better" team that wins, but the team that plays better in that game. The Patriots are probably a little better than the Eagles on paper, but they have to prove it on the field. You're seriously underestimating the Eagles if you think the Pats can play any kind of way and win. If they play like they did against the Dolphins, they'll almost certainly get blown out.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 07:44 AM

No, they aren't. They're 31-2 in the last 33 games (since a Sept. 2003 loss at Washington). The Eagles are 27-6 in their last 33 (including two meaningless losses after securing home-field advantage this season). Go back a couple more years and the Eagles have the best record in football.
Thanks for the correction on 31-2. They're also undefeated in post-season play in the last two attempts at the Super Bowl. That will require no correction.

Come on! The Falcons didn't execute effectively because the Eagles didn't let them. Or are you saying the Colts and/or Steelers would've won if they'd only executed effectively? Besides, you're making a cardinal sin by extrapolating from one performance. The Eagles did (more than) enough to win. The bottom line is this: it isn't the "better" team that wins, but the team that plays better in that game. The Patriots are probably a little better than the Eagles on paper, but they have to prove it on the field. You're seriously underestimating the Eagles if you think the Pats can play any kind of way and win. If they play like they did against the Dolphins, they'll almost certainly get blown out.
I'm not committing any sins. I'm not extrapolating from one performance. The Patriots have had to "prove it on the field" for a couple of years now and we can look at their track record in big games and agree as reasonable people that they are a team of bonafide champions. Does this make them invulnerable? Ask the Dolphins and the Steelers. But when you look at the overall accomplishments of the team, those two exceptions prove the rule. They kick ass under pressure in championship games. It's what they do.

The Eagles have proved that they don't perform consistently in big games, have a record of blowing the NFC championship 3 years in a row, even with homefield each time. Does this mean they can't win a Championship? Of course not. They stack up well against the Patriots. They could win. But let's not underestimate what that would represent. The Patriots are literally a team for all time. I think they're already at least that much, and on the verge of dynasty status. It would be a huge upset for the Eagles to unseat them.

All of this said, yes, you're right. On any given Sunday, one team can and will outperform the other, sometimes regardless of their record. I hope that it's a great game. I'm betting with two teams like these, it won't be over by half time.

Remember people, to buy your preferred snacks well before Super Bowl.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 10:54 AM

The Eagles had a hard time with the Falcons. If the Falcons, with the same defense, had been able to execute as effectively as the Patriots do, the Falcons would have won. I think the Patriots defense is better than the Falcons', and I think their offense will have the answer to the Eagles.Sorry Pennsylvania.
Did we watch the same game? Philly was in control for most of the game, and the best the Falcons did was pull within 4. Vick was a non-issue.

Both the Patriots and the Eagles have good defense and powerful offense. I think it will be a good game, and certainly not a blowout like the NE/Pitt game.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 10:55 AM

There is one factor that could change the complexion of this entire game. That is whether or not T.O. plays. My bet says he will.

It's awfully tough to match up against a reciever like T.O. He pretty much demands double coverage, which opens up other guys. The Patriots don't have anyone you would call a "shutdown" cornerback - Champ Baily type. But they are very well coached and are likely to send different packages out there to confuse the Eagles.

My guess is that the Pats will try to shut down T.O. and the rest of the passing game and make Westbrook and Co. beat them with their feet. Westbrook, meanwhile, is better catching a ball out of the backfield than a straight up running back.

It's hard to say what the Eagles will do to the Pats offense. Try to shut down Dillon and make Brady beat you? Sounds great except Brady is up there with Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, etc. when it comes to playoff performances.

What it boils down to is that I think the Patriots are an all around better team, who have played against better competition. For the last year or more, every team that plays them treats the game like it's the Super Bowl. There's prestige in beating the Patriots these days. How many of us can name the teams that have beaten the Eagles? Or even the team that beat the Steelers before last weekend? But we all know about the Dolphins and Steelers being the teams that have beaten the Pats.

I hope it's a good game. I still think the Patriots will win.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 11:09 AM

I'm not committing any sins. I'm not extrapolating from one performance.
I meant WRT the Eagles. You were saying they weren't going to win because they "barely" beat Atlanta. Remember, the two Super Bowl wins were 3-point victories. All that matters is the win.

The Eagles have proved that they don't perform consistently in big games, have a record of blowing the NFC championship 3 years in a row, even with homefield each time.
They didn't have home field the first time against the Rams. Not surprisingly, that was the closest game (the Eagles have the best road record in the league the past few years -- even better than their home record). Anyway, this is one of the things that makes sports interesting. The Pats appear to have history on their side, but the Eagles just proved on Sunday that history doesn't have to repeat. FWIW, it was clear before this last victory that this Eagles team is much better than the ones who lost the last 3 years.

It would be a huge upset for the Eagles to unseat them.
It would be an upset, but I wouldn't call it huge. The Jets over Baltimore was huge. The Pats over St. Louis was huge. An Eagles win would be more like the Broncos over Green Bay. Regardless, we basically agree. This is exciting! Only twelve days to go.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 11:14 AM

It's awfully tough to match up against a reciever like T.O. He pretty much demands double coverage, which opens up other guys. The Patriots don't have anyone you would call a "shutdown" cornerback - Champ Baily type.
Well, they do (Ty Law), but he's hurt. BTW, he's better than Champ.

It's hard to say what the Eagles will do to the Pats offense. Try to shut down Dillon and make Brady beat you? Sounds great except Brady is up there with Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, etc. when it comes to playoff performances.
Forgetting those pre-Terrell Davis Super Bowls? He's past Elway in playoff performances.

How many of us can name the teams that have beaten the Eagles? Or even the team that beat the Steelers before last weekend?
The Eagles (as the last unbeaten team) lost in Pittsburgh a week after New England lost there. They rested their starters the last two weeks of the season and lost to the Rams and the Bengals. The Steelers lost to the Ravens in week 2.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 11:19 AM

I meant WRT the Eagles. You were saying they weren't going to win because they "barely" beat Atlanta. Remember, the two Super Bowl wins were 3-point victories. All that matters is the win.

They didn't have home field the first time against the Rams. Not surprisingly, that was the closest game (the Eagles have the best road record in the league the past few years -- even better than their home record). Anyway, this is one of the things that makes sports interesting. The Pats appear to have history on their side, but the Eagles just proved on Sunday that history doesn't have to repeat. FWIW, it was clear before this last victory that this Eagles team is much better than the ones who lost the last 3 years.

It would be an upset, but I wouldn't call it huge. The Jets over Baltimore was huge. The Pats over St. Louis was huge. An Eagles win would be more like the Broncos over Green Bay. Regardless, we basically agree. This is exciting! Only twelve days to go.
Agreed. It has the makings of a great game.

I did watch the Eagles-Falcons game, and it felt to me like the Falcons were still in it until late in the third quarter, despite relatively inept offensive series. I couldn't believe it as I had expected the Eagles to run away with the game. Anyway, as you say, 12 days to go.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 12:38 PM

I'm with the Eagles,

though I haven't really been following the season (most games aren't shown here), so I'm not up to date on either team...

Which one has a better offensive line (in comparison to the other's D), in your opinion?

J

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 12:38 PM

The Patriots are 33-2, people. As far as I'm concerned, they're already a team for the ages, a team of destiny, etc.

Sorry Pennsylvania.
I have to disagree with you. 27-10 is not really having a hard time with the Falcons. If the game was closer I would agree. If it was like the Steelers Jets game then I would agree but 27-10 to me doesn't seem like a hard time.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 12:52 PM

Forgetting those pre-Terrell Davis Super Bowls? He's past Elway in playoff performances.
No, I don't forget those 3 Super Bowls against the Giants, Skins and Niners.

But losing those doesn't take away from the fact that Elway was one of the best pressure quarterbacks ever. And that translated to great playoff performances.

Back then, before Terrell Davis (and his great blocking), a great Defense, Rod Smith, Shannon Sharp, Eddie Mac and the rest, Elway picked up the entire team and carried them to 3 Super Bowls.

I mean, he had Sammy Winder as his running back!

If you doubt his playoff ability, ask someone who lives in Cleveland. But you might want to stay 98 yards away from them when you ask...

P.S. Ty Law isn't better at coverage than Champ...

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
I'm with the Eagles,

though I haven't really been following the season (most games aren't shown here), so I'm not up to date on either team...

Which one has a better offensive line (in comparison to the other's D), in your opinion?
I've seen both teams extensively (NFL Sunday Ticket, baby!). I'd have to call it even. Both offensive lines are very good, but both defenses can get pressure on the QB with or without blitzing. These are two teams with few weaknesses. As I see it, the Pats have better linebackers, the Eagles have better defensive backs, and the defensive lines are about even. Offensively, it's about even at running back (the Pats run it better, but the Eagles are better at throwing to their backs -- especially Westbrook), QB (they both spread the ball around and make good decisions -- Brady is more accurate [although McNabb has been much more accurate this year], but McNabb's mobility keeps plays alive [although Brady is more mobile than people think]), and offensive line. The Pats have the clear edge at receiver if Owens doesn't play. They might still have a slight edge regardless since Chad Lewis is out. However, Owens is the most physical receiver in the NFL and the Pats haven't faced anyone like him. Special teams is also a wash. Both kickers are superb and both teams cover well. I suppose the Bethel Johnson's speed gives the Pats more big play ability, but (IIRC) the Eagles enjoy the best starting field position of any team.

These two teams really match up well against one another.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 01:13 PM

No, I don't forget those 3 Super Bowls against the Giants, Skins and Niners.

But losing those doesn't take away from the fact that Elway was one of the best pressure quarterbacks ever. And that translated to great playoff performances.
Elway's great, don't get me wrong. Still, Brady has never had a bad playoff performance. Elway can't say the same. Hopefully, Brady won't be able to either after the 6th.

P.S. Ty Law isn't better at coverage than Champ...
You mean the Champ Bailey who was beaten like a drum on more than one occasion? I beg to differ.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
I have to disagree with you. 27-10 is not really having a hard time with the Falcons. If the game was closer I would agree. If it was like the Steelers Jets game then I would agree but 27-10 to me doesn't seem like a hard time.
No, it was 17-10 until late in the third quarter (if not early in the fourth, can't remember now). But basically, once Philly scored to make it a two score game, the Falcons imploded. My only point is that basically with only about 25% of the game left to play, the Eagles were only one touchdown up on the Falcons.

If the Eagles' defense can make Brady throw interceptions like Vick (not bloody likely)... I can't even finish the thought it seems so outlandish to me. The Patriots, on the other hand, are simply playing... executing... on a whole other level compared to most of the league.

The Eagles play the best game of their lives and the Patriots play atypically, the game will go the Eagles way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules