Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The Official: "I Got an iPad" Thread

The Official: "I Got an iPad" Thread (Page 3)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Typing is reasonable in portrait mode, much better than an iPhone, but touch typing is almost impossible because it's too cramped. Touch typing is possible in landscape mode, but I couldn't do it reliably because my fingers would inadvertently brush the screen, causing other characters to be typed.

Video on CNN works. Video on The Globe and Mail does not, which is unfortunate since it's my favourite news site. Ironically, the first video I tried (that didn't work) was their video iPad review.
Oh geez, that's discouraging. You mean in the 5 minutes you used the keypad you made mistakes and it wasn't completely natural? Apple needs to fix that fast. I assume you were the master of the iPhone touch keypad the second you touched it unlike everyone else who take a week to get used to it. In using the iPad's keyboard for light typing over 12 hours I already got 10x better.

I am also willing to bet that the VERY first thing you did when you got ahold of an iPad was to launch safari and surf right over to the first site you already knew used flash and wouldn't work correct?

Launch safari... go to globeandmail.com... find one of those videos you must watch a lot of... "Yup, CONFIRMED no flash support. Dealbreaker". Were you expecting something else or was it just feel good?

Why the heck did you ever get an iPhone as it has no flash either. Oh wait. You watch all those important videos on the desktop computer you are on ALL DAY at work. No wait, you watch them on your MBP tethered to your iPhone, or on your G4 Cube, Lampshade iMac, top of the current line iMac 27". No all that MUST be done on the iPad or it's in "Useless town".

Since Apple has sold 500,000 in less than a week I'm gonna take a wild stab that the flash issue is not something the customer Apple is targeting is worried about. Nor is Apple getting Adobe on the phone working out a deal to get stupid flash running on an iPad. I'm sure Apple is fine with losing a fussy customer on a low end product as there are 100 people who want it over every 1 who don't.

The real blame here goes to the websites that use flash. SInce Apple is commanding 80% of web surfing on mobile devices with just the iPhone/iPod. The real question is do these websites (like the globe) feel they can lose 80% of their visitors because they feel they need to use flash? Nope, you can bet any company that wants to keep those 80% of customers will switch to something better within months.

Remember how Apple got the same crap for having only USB and no serial port on the first iMac? "Oh serial will be around for a long time and no company is going to spend the extra on USB just for the imac". Within months just about every peripheral company switched to USB and made a killing catering to the new market who demanded it. Apples goal was to kill serial as USB had been out for years but lazy manufacturers didn't bother using it as there was always a serial port on every computer anyway. So why bother adding it if it costs more even if serial sucked as there was no USB devices on the market. They did the same thing with the floppy with no end to the bitching about it for a year.

End result. No more Serial, USB is standard, floppies died shortly after.

6 months from now this flash issue will be old news and these threads embarrassing. I will 100% gladly trade flash on my iPad to have the battery last 10+ hours as it does now.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Apr 7, 2010 at 11:50 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I am also willing to bet that the VERY first thing you did when you got ahold of an iPad was to launch safari and surf right over to the first site you already knew used flash and wouldn't work correct?
As usual, you're wrong again. Globe and Mail is my #1 favourite news site. In fact, on some of my machines it's my default home page.

I also checked out CNN, a site I go to for US-centric news. The embedded videos work there... and I reported that too.

Why the heck did you ever get an iPhone as it has no flash either.
We've been over this. Cuz it's a phone that doesn't actually suck, esp. for Mac users... and well... I actually need a phone.

The real blame here goes to the websites that use flash.
Perhaps, but that's the status of the internet world today. Maybe not in 2011 or 2012, but last I checked it's not 2011 or 2012.

SInce Apple is commanding 80% of web surfing on mobile devices with just the iPhone/iPod the real question is do these websites (like the globe) feel they can lose 80% of their visitors because they feel they need to use flash?
So are you calling the iPad an iPhone/iPod then?

6 months from now this flash issue will be old news and these threads embarrassing.
Maybe I'll buy an iPad 6 months from now. Well, unlikely. Maybe version 2 or 3 in 2011-2012. Hey that date sounds familiar!

In 2010 I'd rather just stick that $500-700 into my mortgage or something. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing. A nice lump sum prepayment is going in next week.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2010, 09:03 PM

Wow, how do things get so personal?

I am confused and sort of offended with all of the personal barbs and name calling recently.
I thought this stuff was moderated.

In any event, don't take stuff so personally, they are computers for gods sake.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2010, 09:28 PM

Don't take it personal, SPRINKLES just likes to attack anything and everything (although I'm flabbergasted to see him talk bad about the Almighty iPhone).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2010, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Oh geez, that's discouraging. You mean in the 5 minutes you used the keypad you made mistakes and it wasn't completely natural? Apple needs to fix that fast. I assume you were the master of the iPhone touch keypad the second you touched it unlike everyone else who take a week to get used to it. In using the iPad's keyboard for light typing over 12 hours I already got 10x better.
Oh for Christ sakes stop acting like such a childish asshole.

Eug made a couple observations and wrote about them. He has every right to do so. As do you. However, just because he doesn't display 110% approval for the iPad does not mean you have the right to attack him or ridicule his posts. Nobody here asked for this kind of harassment. So stop acting as if every critical comment re: the iPad is a personal insult to you mother. Grow up and learn to behave. Or get the heck out of here.

Reported.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 8, 2010 at 02:45 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2010, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
I am confused and sort of offended with all of the personal barbs and name calling recently.
I thought this stuff was moderated.
It is. And that's what the report button is for.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2010, 03:12 AM

Seriously, the snarky, condescending attitude really isn't called for. aS, you picked two paragraphs of reasonable observations and and wrote half a page reactionary butt-hurt in response. Don't you think maybe you ought to tone it down a bit?
Nemo me impune lacesset

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2010, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
reactionary butt-hurt
It's funny 'cuz he's gay!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2010, 09:28 AM

Another unsubstantiated rumour from DigiTimes:

Apple is reportedly scheduling a smaller 5- to 7-inch version of the iPad that is expected to launch as soon as the first quarter of 2011, according to Digitimes Research senior analyst Mingchi Kuo.

Kuo, citing talks with upstream component sources, said Apple's smaller-size iPad will be priced below US$400 and will target the highly-portable mobile device market and consumers that focus mainly on reading and do not have a high demand for text input.

---

P.S. Thx guys for the support, but he's a personal friend of mine so my guess is he figures he can be more aggressive in his posts and I won't be too insulted. That's probably true.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 8, 2010 at 09:35 AM. )

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 09:38 AM

Apple is reportedly scheduling a smaller 5- to 7-inch version of the iPad that is expected to launch as soon as the first quarter of 2011, according to Digitimes Research senior analyst Mingchi Kuo.

Kuo, citing talks with upstream component sources, said Apple's smaller-size iPad will be priced below US$400 and will target the highly-portable mobile device market and consumers that focus mainly on reading and do not have a high demand for text input.

---

P.S. Thx guys for the support, but he's a personal friend of mine so my guess is he figures he can be more aggressive in his posts and I won't be too insulted. That's probably true.
I read that this morning too.
Interesting.
I guess since the iPad is out and that was the biggest Apple rumor for years, there has to be a new rumor.
I think its super funny that the new big rumor is actually a "small" iPad.
hehe
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2010, 09:49 AM

Complete BS.

Non of the iPad apps would look right, and iPhone apps would look like crap as well.

It doesn't make any sense to introduce a new (3rd) screen format, and just to shrink the screen (with higher resolution) will make many iPad apps unusable.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2010, 09:53 AM

While I do think the current form factor is the perfect size for an iPad at this time, and while I do think the DigiTimes "research" is BS, I also wouldn't completely rule out a future smaller iPad. I think a 5" is probably pointless, but a 7-8" could be one introduced to increase market share... well after the current iPad takes firm hold of the market. The screen size vs. app size issue is a not a huge issue IMO.

I would consider it, but then again I think it's about as likely as the 11" MacBook Pro I want.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 10:35 AM

The iPad has a lower pixel density than the iPhone/iPod Touch (132ppi vs 163ppi). Conceivably the screen size could shrink and retain the same resolution, but I doubt you'd be able to get it too much smaller.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2010, 10:51 AM

They're talking about the touchpad display built into future MacBooks' handrests.

Forum Links
Forum Rules