Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Calling former TiBook owners...

Calling former TiBook owners...
IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2003, 09:19 AM

What made you switch from TiBook to AlBook, and are you happy you switched? What benefits does the Al have over the Ti? I'm looking to get feedback from mostly TiBook to 12" Al switchers, but 17" switchers welcome.

finniii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2003, 12:11 AM

I've been using a Ti book for about a year. A few months ago I was surprised at work with a new PB 17 (maxed out with 1 GB of RAM and all the bells and whistles). Yeah... It's rough...

At the time I got the 17 I had just decided I didn't need it enough to break down and buy it. After the first couple of weeks using it I found I was glad I didn't buy it. The size and weight seemed unwieldy after the 15" Ti. I found myself leaving the 17 in its case and using the 15 all the time. Circs. have caused me to reconsider my initial assessment.

On the plus side: The larger screen is wonderful. I've really liked being able to edit two documents side-by-side, and using programs with multiple palates is much nicer.

On the minus side: You can fry an egg on this thing! Heat is really a problem, esp. if (like me) you put your laptop in your lap.

If/when they introduce a new Al 15" I'll be first in line to buy it. I think the 15" size is the best compromise between portability and screen space. I've got an iBook, and it's great for dragging around -But I couldn't live with it as a full-time machine.

IronPen  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2003, 09:22 AM

Thanks. Finally someone had a comment. I'm still undecided on what to do. Heck, I'm even considering just getting a 900MHz iBook at this point. I do use my laptop on my lap most of the time. It is my only machine and at home I'm on it a lot in front of the tube, so the excess heat won't be good for me. While I'm not looking to get the 17" (too much $, too big) I would consider the 12", but I hear it also has the heat issues you speak of. It must be the Aluminum in combination with the hot G4. I don't hear the complaints about heat so much with the 15", but there are complaints frequently about fan noise. Again, thanks!

Ti X
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by IronPen:
Thanks. Finally someone had a comment. I'm still undecided on what to do. Heck, I'm even considering just getting a 900MHz iBook at this point. I do use my laptop on my lap most of the time. It is my only machine and at home I'm on it a lot in front of the tube, so the excess heat won't be good for me. While I'm not looking to get the 17" (too much $, too big) I would consider the 12", but I hear it also has the heat issues you speak of. It must be the Aluminum in combination with the hot G4. I don't hear the complaints about heat so much with the 15", but there are complaints frequently about fan noise. Again, thanks!
I am not sure what that dude is referring to with the heat problem. The 15" as we all know gets hot, but my 17" never gets more than comfortably warm, even while working on video.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2003, 01:18 PM

If you buy a Powerbook, you are interested in the mobility factor. Otherwise you'd probably just go out and get a G5 with a Cinema Display. To me, the 17" books remove the term mobility from its definition. I've seen them and played with them at the Apple Stores. I didn't even consider them when they came out. Just too big of an anchor. I love the 15" form factor. Gives the best of both worlds. When I need big, just hook it up with its DVI to a big display (I have a 22" Cinema Display). When I want true mobility I'm off with a good enough screen size to get work done without lugging around a massave piece of hardware.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 07:09 PM

Okay, I had an Ti800mhz and then went to a PB 17" and then went back to a Ti867mhz.

Lesson to be learned? The 17" is too damn big .

The PB 12" is a bit small for me. I have an iBook and I hate working on that screen with the exception of typing up a doc or something. Even when you are surfing the web, open one screen and you won't have any space for iChat screens.

Anyways good luck.

IronPen  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2003, 10:24 PM

Thanks. I think I'll just have to play with the iBook 900, the 12" PB and the 15" Ti before I make a purchase. But I do appreciate the feedback.

macxtal
Aug 10, 2003, 10:34 PM

I'm switching from a 15" to a G5 and a 12", waiting on the G5 to start shipping and a Rev. B 12". Best of both worlds. Even better if the 12" has DVI.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 04:53 AM

I'd probably go for the 15" PB, anything larger would be too unwieldy for me, and if I needed that kind of screen size I'd go for a PM. My little Pismo has been a great performer, in all areas, the screen size is perfect, but the 15" would probably be the biggest I'd go for.
A Jew with a view.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 11:29 AM

I went from a Ti/400 to a 12" AlBook and the only significant problem with the 12" is the heat issue. I gained a better video card, support for QE, faster processor, Firewire port that works 100%, and a more durable shell. The smaller screen wasn't a big factor for me as I use an external monitor most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I still love the TiBook (my wife has it now) but the AlBook was a great trade-up, especially since I got a good deal on it.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Tomster
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 01:08 PM

I switched from a 15" TiSD to a 17". Best thing I've done. No more fan noise and a fantastic screen to boot. In terms of weight, one has to ask oneself if they can handle a whole 1.4 pounds in their bag. Depends on one's commute and travel.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by Tomster:
I switched from a 15" TiSD to a 17". Best thing I've done. No more fan noise and a fantastic screen to boot. In terms of weight, one has to ask oneself if they can handle a whole 1.4 pounds in their bag. Depends on one's commute and travel.
For me it's not so much extra pound or so, it's the size. It breaks that point of mobility.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 05:18 PM

In the recent past, I've gone from a Lombard, to Pismo, to 15", to PB17. The latter is by far the best laptop I've used.

I even had a chance to revert to my 15" when my PB17 modem died and was fixed under warranty. This note represents the opposite opinion of others, with the PB17 now my favorite mac yet.

I do not miss my 15", and I was very happy (well, ecstatic maybe) when my PB17 was returned to me the day after Apple received it and repaired it.

The size of the 17 has 2 issues -- weight, which is a problem for folks not used to carrying around ~10kb bag (including power brick and my papers, I'm a faculty member with ubiquitous science papers / grants) and width. Width is occasionally a problem when the table 'footprint' is designed for a small laptop and no mouse. I have to use the mouse for the ergonomics, so I am perhaps more sensitive to this issue than most. The 17 is amazingly enough the same thickness at the 15.

But I just took it on an ATA flight -- this was an economy class seat on an economy airline. The 17 worked fine in an aisle seat on the left side of the plane, or on the aisle seat on the right side without a neighbor in the adjacent seat (I am right handed). The 15 would not have provided any more functional space (i.e. it would not have worked with a neighbor on the right). BTW, I used the palmrest as my mouse 'pad'. Worked fine.

Compared to the TiPB, the 17, in addition to its great screen, has a MUCH better keyboard, terrific wifi connectivity, does not sound like an airplane taking off from fan noise OR the loud combo drive, and future expansion (bluetooth, FW800). It also has a better build, with the Al casing suprememly better than titanium.

I really think if you want complete mobility, go with a 12". If you want portability of a desktop replacement, buy the 17". When Apple comes out with a 15 Al with the same motherboard design, keyboard, and build as the 17", then I'd consider it a viable option. But even then, if you can handle the weight (the same as a Lombard/Pismo), I think the 17 screen really makes a compelling argument for a better computer.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Aug 12, 2003, 10:38 PM

I went from a 700 mh ibook to a 15 inch 1ghz tibook to an ibook 800 to a 12 inch ai in the space of 6 months.

My favorite? without a doubt the 15! I've been toying with the idea of selling my 12 and a few other of my toys to buy a 17, but after looking at it in the store, it jus seems Too BIG. I'll probably hold out for the new 15 and sell my 12 inch then. I find the 12 inch a little too sluggish for my needs (my 15 felt perfect) and the widescreen really fitted the way I work.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules