Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G5...here me out

Powerbook G5...here me out
AHDuke99
Aug 21, 2003, 03:38 PM

I seriously think somethings up with the Powerbooks, all the rumor sites have missed them multiple times, Thinksecret, MacBid, Macrumors. Now they are saying that the processor will be 1.25 ghz, but why would apple underclock the 7457 cause we all know that they can go up to 1.33-1.4ghz. Also, yesterday, thinsecret said that the iMac updates won't use the 7457 processors, because the cache listed on the specs were 256k and the 7457 has a 512k. Meaning the 7455 would still be in use. The 1.25 ghz 7455 is too hot to use in the powerbook. Did apple tell Moto to forget the 7457? Could they be working on a 1.2-1.4ghz G5 to put into the Powerbook by Paris? Also, why would apple use nVIDIA when they know that they aren't supporting Apple like ATI. People have been waiting 9 months for these updates and if thing are what the rumor sites say they are, there will be alot of pissed customers. I don't think Steve will do that to us. I'm not trusting anymore rumor sites until I see the PBs on the front page. And the G5 Powerbook is looking like it's going to be here sooner and sooner.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 03:55 PM

Um, in a word, no.

I'm not having a go at you personally, but why do people feel the need to constantly quote rumor sites that clearly know nothing? it is a joke.

'We' (as the 'ordinary' Mac users) also know nothing for sure about any of the new Motorola Chips, let alone heat, speed and cache details.

We have to face it, Steve has this one under lock and key...

AHDuke99  (op)
Aug 21, 2003, 04:04 PM

Moto has released a PDF i have on my computer showing the specs, heat, cache and other details of the 7457. So we do know what that chip is like, IBM has also posted info about the 970, and a 1.2ghz G5 uses 13 watts.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by AHDuke99:
Moto has released a PDF i have on my computer showing the specs, heat, cache and other details of the 7457. So we do know what that chip is like, IBM has also posted info about the 970, and a 1.2ghz G5 uses 13 watts.
My apologies, just found the 7457 details on the Motorola website... Very interesting!

Finally a G4 on a 0.13 process, but it is very disappointing to see the same old MPX bus still there.

I can't help but wonder what happened to the 7457 RM...

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 04:28 PM

hear
I, ASIMO.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 21, 2003, 06:02 PM

I seriously think somethings up with the Powerbooks, all the rumor sites have missed them multiple times, Thinksecret, MacBid, Macrumors. Now they are saying that the processor will be 1.25 ghz, but why would apple underclock the 7457 cause we all know that they can go up to 1.33-1.4ghz.
1.25 GHz because the max speed is 1.3 GHz for the 7457. 1.33 GHz is possible I suppose, but Motorola has not released any specs on faster 7457 chips than 1.3 GHz. A 7455 1.42 GHz chip runs at something like 40 Watts. Far too hot for a laptop. BTW, IIRC, this week is the first time Thinksecret is posting specific information about the PowerBook update.

19 watts for the 1.2 GHz G5 supposedly, which is in the same ballpark of the 1.3 GHz G4 7457.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 07:42 PM

So does the 1.2GHz run at 19 or 13 watts? 13 I think is doable, but 19 is a bit on the high side for a laptop no?

macxtal
Aug 21, 2003, 11:09 PM

Makes you wonder, indeedy, if update plans got scrubbed in favor of moving up the introduction of the G5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules