Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > PC Motherboard

PC Motherboard
Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2004, 12:00 PM

Does anybody still make a PCI plug in board for the MAC or will Virtual PC do just fine on my G4 450 dual? I need to access a website that is PC IE only because IE for the Mac doesn't cut it. I have a copy of Virtual PC but I haven't loaded.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 7, 2004, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
Does anybody still make a PCI plug in board for the MAC or will Virtual PC do just fine on my G4 450 dual? I need to access a website that is PC IE only because IE for the Mac doesn't cut it. I have a copy of Virtual PC but I haven't loaded.
Why don't you give VirtualPC a try if you have a copy already???

You say the web site you want to try is PC IE only... is it they coded the web site such that it refuse to serve the browser doesn't identify it is Intel processor to the server, or the code simply won't display probably?

I think there's utility which allow you to spoof the browser such that it would fool the web server that you use PC IE on a Mac...

I don't think there's any more of the PCI PC card available anymore. THe prices is almost as much as a "no brand" PC, and with something like P4 the power it requires probably would overload the power requirements of the PCI slot.
( Last edited by veryniceguy2002; Mar 7, 2004 at 02:40 AM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
I don't think there's any more of the PCI PC card available anymore. THe prices is almost as much as a "no brand" PC, and with something like P4 the power it requires probably would overload the power requirements of the PCI slot.
Yeah but it had the "cool" factor. I used to have an OrangePC 620 card with a 400MHz K6-II on it. It was awesome having the PC on my Mac running at full speed (well full speed for then.) All I used it for was playing Subspace, though.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

macxtal
Mar 7, 2004, 09:24 PM

Doing real work on VPC is not an option. Don't let people fool yourself otherwise, it really is a weapon of last resort. I've tried to use it for doing some circuit board and schematic work, but it's faster on paper. You're better off getting the Windows Terminal Server stuff and running it; there is a mac release.

I have high hopes for the next edition of VPC on a G5, tho.

Forum Links
Forum Rules