Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Doom 3 and M-Audio sound card problem

Doom 3 and M-Audio sound card problem
Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 07:57 PM

I have an M-Audio 5.1 audio card and it has worked great until yesterday. I just got Doom 3 and discovered that I have no audio. I talked to tech support at both the sound card mfg and game distributor. Neither were much help. The M-Audio folks just said their card is not compatible with Doom 3 or Quake 3. Huh? I have never heard of a sound card not being compatible with the top games in the country. My only solution is that I can go into preferences>sound and switch from the sound card to my G5 internal speaker. I now have audio but it's not stereo obviously and even if it was it really SUCKS. That little speaker has terrible quality and little volume.

Other than what I just did does anyone have a work around for this? Can I get a better speaker and route the sound from the internal speaker to an external speaker? Any ideas???

Thanks,

Lee
2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 4.5GB RAM, 30" Cinema Display

a2daj
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 01:26 PM

If you have Doom 3 1.3 installed, hold down command while starting the game. There should be a dialog box that, among other things, has a checkbox for OpenAL audio. Check that and you should have audio in Doom 3 with 3rd party sound devices.

However, the feature is unsupported and has been unstable for me. The game has quit to the main menu on me several times. One of the reasons I've never gotten past the first level on Doom 3. The other reason.. WoW.

Forum Links
Forum Rules